SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes he did, he liked it 5 minutes after I posted it. Yet for some reason he's continuing to act as if he hasn't heard of a reason as to why the Roobroeck's might not like NIA lol
I’m sure there are many parents and agents wary of Niagara, and kids that want to on a different team right now. That does not mean Roobroek was mistreated.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I watched a interview of Craig Goslin and he continued to mentioned the 400K in the area they could tap into ( but don't yet lol ) for the Memorial Cup.

If that's the case the Soo can tap into the over 750K of Northern Ontarians in the area.

Hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
mishandled and poorly developed also come to mind.
Maybe. But I can’t help but think Niagara did the agent and Roobroek family a solid by moving the kid for an 8th pick. If it were me, I would have told the kid that no team was willing to trade for him at this time; go to the affiliate and show why every team should want a 6’7” forward with net presence.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Maybe. But I can’t help but think Niagara did the agent and Roobroek family a solid by moving the kid for an 8th pick. If it were me, I would have told the kid that no team was willing to trade for him at this time; go to the affiliate and show why every team should want a 6’7” forward with net prpresence.
Tbh not sure why SSM wasn't interested... he played with Bryce if im not mistake, just like Ryan played with Brodie.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Rumor is that Moore is going to sign a USHL tender. Anyone hear that as well?

Must be wanting to drop to a specific team....👀 ( cough cough Misa cough cough )

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
perhaps. sounds more like they gave up on him too early. that's not a "solid" but was probably motivation for the kid.
Well, new Niagara management was obviously over hauling the roster and already counting cards pre-season; so Roobroek, Enright, Struthers, Costanza, and Cooke were going to be moved prior to the start of the season.
Still, an 8th pick; apparently no team was interested. Niagara went further than they had to, to accommodate the kid.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I watched a interview of Craig Goslin and he continued to mentioned the 400K in the area they could tap into ( but don't yet lol ) for the Memorial Cup.

If that's the case the Soo can tap into the over 750K of Northern Ontarians in the area.

Hahaha.

He's referring to an area that's roughly 45 minute drive radius around Saginaw which would come to about 400K. The immediate tri county area is around 300,00 so I'm guessing he's throwing some Flint area folks in there too. Now you aren't going to get people from half and hour or more away for average games but for a once in a lifetime event? Yeah they can certainly draw from that area. A similar area around the Soo is only around 120,000. If you wanted to compare larger regions then we could include metro detroit and then drawing power of all Eastern MI would be closer to a 4.5 million vs 750K.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
He's referring to an area that's roughly 45 minute drive radius around Saginaw which would come to about 400K. The immediate tri county area is around 300,00 so I'm guessing he's throwing some Flint area folks in there too. Now you aren't going to get people from half and hour or more away for average games but for a once in a lifetime event? Yeah they can certainly draw from that area. A similar area around the Soo is only around 120,000. If you wanted to compare larger regions then we could include metro detroit and then drawing power of all Eastern MI would be closer to a 4.5 million vs 750K.

Don't mean this confrontational at all but when's they last time Saginaw sold the arena out? 2018?

Or in the 20 years of being a team how many sell out crowds has Saginaw had?

From an outside perspective you guys have this apparently stacked team and are winning and what not but the attendance levels remain as low as ever. We see those tarps covering entire sections. Saying you can pull from those area and doing it is different. You're not pulling from them right now that's for sure haha.

SSM is doing not that good this year and still maintaining a good attendance, most nights better than the average. We have proven to sell out this arena in multiple series' game after game in deep runs, and even in the regular season.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OHL should just

I'm not sure that's how the Roobroek family feels and that's the point of this conversation innit?
I think that’s the point of the conversation. I feel the family should be pleased a place was found for their boy to play and develop. If the family is outraged that none of 19 teams would go higher than an 8th pick for the kid, that is not on Niagara. If the family is outraged that Roobroek was not given preference over Waddick, He, Leblanc, Copeland, Fimis, Zito, Michaud, Sirrizotti, Castle, …Idk what I can say about the family

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Don't mean this confrontational at all but when's they last time Saginaw sold the arena out? 2018?

Or in the 20 years of being a team how many sell out crowds has Saginaw had?
What does that have to do with anything? Missy can barely get 1000 people and they've hosted.

Also i don't mean THIS as confrontational but what else is there to do in the Soo during the dead of winter besides watch hockey? You're talking about a massive culture difference. Hockey is religion in Canada. So of course a small size city like the Soo is going to come out and fill out the arena better that Saginaw. But that doesn't change the fact that his statement about 400,00 to draw on for a special event is not accurate.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? Missy can barely get 1000 people and they've hosted.

Also i don't mean THIS as confrontational but what else is there to do in the Soo during the dead of winter besides watch hockey? You're talking about a massive culture difference. Hockey is religion in Canada. So of course a small size city like the Soo is going to come out and fill out the arena better that Saginaw. But that doesn't change the fact that his statement about 400,00 to draw on for a special event is not accurate.

That culture makes the Soo the best host spot. Remember a deep run is not in the middle of the winter ;)

All I was trying to say is the statement may be accurate but it's never really been proven in Saginaw.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Also i don't mean THIS as confrontational but what else is there to do in the Soo during the dead of winter besides watch hockey?
I'm not getting into a pissing match over attendance but winter is an amazing time of year for things to do in the Soo and it's why some of us chose to live here and endure the cold and snow. Between the ski mountain at Searchmont, the ice fishing, the snowmobiling, etc we keep quite busy up here in winter outside of hockey.

Our love of hockey and our historic hockey franchise is just a small piece of the culture. Cheers.

:)

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018

Plus… there is the whole thing about all of the events being hosted in Frankenmuth.

If you don’t know that to be a true statement, then you’re not talking to the right people.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm not getting into a pissing match over attendance but winter is an amazing time of year for things to do in the Soo and it's why some of us chose to live here and endure the cold and snow. Between the ski mountain at Searchmont, the ice fishing, the snowmobiling, etc we keep quite busy up here in winter outside of hockey.

Our love of hockey and our historic hockey franchise is just a small piece of the culture. Cheers.

:)
True enough. Perhaps that was a bit unfair of me to reduce the Soo to one thing.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Plus… there is the whole thing about all of the events being hosted in Frankenmuth.

If you don’t know that to be a true statement, then you’re not talking to the right people.

It was mentioned by Craig Goslin 3 months ago in an interview so this isn't about talking to the right people LOL

Do you think this is a positive or a negative, as I can't tell by your post @shot caller

I see it as a negative personally.

True enough. Perhaps that was a bit unfair of me to reduce the Soo to one thing.

Hey... I couldn't reply because for me it's only hockey. I'm not a very outdoorsy guy when it comes to winter but many are haha.

Last edited:

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
It was mentioned by Craig Goslin 3 months ago in an interview so this isn't about talking to the right people LOL

Do you think this is a positive or a negative, as I can't tell by your post @shot caller

Hey... I couldn't reply because for me it's only hockey. I'm not a very outdoorsy guy when it comes to winter but many are haha.
It isn’t a positive thing.
It’s removed from the venue and as much as Frankenmuth is a pleasant place to check out, it is a bit disjointed to host a “once in a life time” event with the event taking place a half hour down the highway from where all of the entertainment will be.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It isn’t a positive thing.
It’s removed from the venue and as much as Frankenmuth is a pleasant place to check out, it is a bit disjointed to host a “once in a life time” event with the event taking place a half hour down the highway from where all of the entertainment will be.
Like what stuff specifically is taking place in Frankenmuth?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Like what stuff specifically is taking place in Frankenmuth?

Does it matter though? You have to drive for 19 minutes ( according to Google Maps ) from Dow Event Centre to Frankenmuth. The fact you have SSM ( and apparently Kingston, but I can't speak for that for sure as I've never been there ) where you can walk to ANY of the amenities within 10 minutes MAX 15 minutes and a lot of the same amenities too. Museums, bush plane museum, Roberta Bondar pavilion for fan fest, march street BRAND NEW OUTDOOR PLAZA for fan fests, our mall is across the road, you can walk out of the bay street entrances to the arena, and take 50 steps to the door of our biggest mall. 3 massive hotels within MINUTES of the arena ( two on the same block across the roads on each side of the arena, one with underground parking too ) . Regardless it is part of the bid, Craig Goslin has mentioned that its part of the bid...

I dunno...... head scratcher to me but again I'm from the Soo so it will appear as biased lol!

the more I look at it....the Saginaw Spirit only has 1 thing over the Soo and that's Misa...but the way it's going we will have our own Misa calibre style player next year...2 of the 3 top players applied for exceptional status... so that factor comes down a lot too in my opinion. Head to head SSM vs SAG the teams play each other very well.

plus 16-year-olds don't win you championships anyways..."exceptional" or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
don't forget 2 modern twin pad practice facilities including the brand new state of the art NCC. i skated on it for the first time last night. it's a truly incredible facility. one is under 10 minutes east, the other is under 10 minutes west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad