SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I noticed you left pieces out.. like how Ekblad had 5 points in the 13 games during that playoff run.
Wasn't cherry picking - Ekblad is a defenseman, but sure let's judge his worth to Barrie solely based on how many point he got? (By the way he had 17 points in 22 games that playoffs, was one point behind the leading defenseman's point production - so again an incredible performance for any player of any age, but it happened to be a 16 year old exceptional status player).

If you don't agree that the league is mainly looking at $$$ when evaluating and having an exceptional status player equals more $$$, I think @DWI Dale is right that we will never see eye to eye.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i definitely think misa being there is very marketable for their mem cup bid. but i also think that's the only advantage saggy has over the sault. imo our hotels, facilities, and fanbase are all superior. time will tell.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Wasn't cherry picking - Ekblad is a defenseman, but sure let's judge his worth to Barrie solely based on how many point he got? (By the way he had 17 points in 22 games that playoffs, was one point behind the leading defenseman's point production - so again an incredible performance for any player of any age, but it happened to be a 16 year old exceptional status player).

If you don't agree that the league is mainly looking at $$$ when evaluating and having an exceptional status player equals more $$$, I think @DWI Dale is right that we will never see eye to eye.
That MAY generate more money but having a memorial cup laid out the way Saginaw is planning will could cost more than the other 3 teams...does it offset so the league actually GENERATES more money or will this be a situation where you'll need to spend way way more than SSM KGN NIA to get more back...

im looking at everything as a whole.. not that Misa is gonna generate more money.

Being in USA alone is gonna cost more to put it on for the league..that puts them at a disadvantage from the start..I don't care what the owner says he can do financially he needs EVERYONE on board.

In regards to Ekblad...fine i won't talk about his goals or assists... let's focus on his -5 during that playoff run then... lol

i definitely think misa being there is very marketable for their mem cup bid. but i also think that's the only advantage saggy has over the sault. imo our hotels, facilities, and fanbase are all superior. time will tell.
Exactly $$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
IMO if Sault Ste. Marie has a weak spot in our bid it's the cost of getting here. Flights to the Sault from Toronto are gross expensive. Perhaps our competitiveness. As it stands we are not a championship calibre team next year.

Otherwise I believe we have the city, the facilities, and the fans necessary to host one hell of a party.
We've hosted plenty of National and International Events so flights I don't think are an issue, plus whose to say organizations don't get deals with Air Canada and Porter....if you really want to the cost of travel as a reason, the cost of everything and everyone going to Saginaw I am sure is much higher...Niagara I think wins in this category

The only questionable 'weak spot' is our teams questionable competitiveness next season but this is so subjective it's anyone's guess...we have no idea how much certain players step up next season, we have no idea what new players report to this team or who gets traded in the offseason..

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
We've hosted plenty of National and International Events so flights I don't think are an issue, plus whose to say organizations don't get deals with Air Canada and Porter....if you really want to the cost of travel as a reason, the cost of everything and everyone going to Saginaw I am sure is much higher...Niagara I think wins in this category

I agree when you look at stuff like this... Saginaw is actually the worst of 4 teams.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
.if you really want to the cost of travel as a reason, the cost of everything and everyone going to Saginaw I am sure is much higher...

no it's definitely cheaper to travel to saggy. that said, it's not a deal breaker for us, especially if somehow the city or the OHL will eat some of those costs. it's just one factor they might consider.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I agree when you look at stuff like this... Saginaw is actually the worst of 4 teams.
Looking at the logistics of travel, most flights to Saginaw originate from Detroit, similar to the Sault and Toronto...the thing with flying to Saginaw from Canada is that teams have that extra lay over in Detroit getting to Saginaw from Toronto adding to the cost of flying

no it's definitely cheaper to travel to saggy. that said, it's not a deal breaker for us, especially if somehow the city or the OHL will eat some of those costs. it's just one factor they might consider.
I'm sure there is a certain amount that the host team/city would 'eat' for travel costs for everyone attending

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
the thing with flying to Saginaw from Canada is that teams have that extra lay over in Detroit getting to Saginaw from Toronto adding to the cost of flying
not all flights go through toronto or montreal. air canada doesn't fly direct but westjet, delta etc have direct flights from calgary to detroit etc.

a flight to sault ste. marie from toronto or vice versa is one of the more expensive flights domestically believe it or not (not including remote communities of course)

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I go to Detroit every may... it's not cheaper to travel ANYWHERE in the state I'm sorry lol its just not..driving flying busing none of it. it's not cheap to stay for 5 days let alone 10 or more.

if you go look at Hotels.com right now and select May 25th to June 5th 2024...well things don't look good at all.... it literally looks like there are no hotels so i don't know.. it shows there is no hotels in Saginaw but a few in Frankenmuth and birch run unless im misunderstanding something ...

it is not because of how far in advance it is because I book my Movement hotel every year for the next year while im attending movement...a full year in advance.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I go to Detroit every may... it's not cheaper to travel ANYWHERE in the state I'm sorry lol its just not..driving flying busing none of it. its not cheap to stay for 5 days let alone 10 or more.
i'm speaking about airfare. not hotels. WHL and QMJHL teams are not bussing to the sault haha.

it's ok and realistic that we aren't "the best" at every metric being looked it. what matters is being the total package or best overall which i think we are.

Last edited:
  • Haha

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
i'm speaking about airfare. not hotels. WHL and QMJHL teams are not bussing to the sault haha.

it's ok and realistic that we aren't "the best" at every metric being looked it. what matters is being the total package or best overall which i think we are.

hahahaha imagine busing from out west..

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
are we mathematically eliminated? we are 9 points behind Kitchener with 4 games remaining so it would seem we are officially missing the playoffs?

who are the "top 5" projections in the OHL draft?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
8 games remaining, but it would indeed take a miracle.

Yeah, I don't see it. Definitely will need some sort of a miracle.

rumours out there that NIA will be selecting Matthew Schaefer if they get first overall...
makes this draft lottery very interesting.

I personally want Roobroeck so badly , but I'm aware any of the top 5 are elite.

are we mathematically eliminated? we are 9 points behind Kitchener with 4 games remaining so it would seem we are officially missing the playoffs?

who are the "top 5" projections in the OHL draft?

Ryan Roobroeck
Matthew Schaefer
William Moore
Owen Griffin
L,J. Mooney

Roobroeck and Moore both applied for exceptional status last year.
Moore rumoured to be signing a USHL tender

Roobroeck is the consensus number 1 pick this year but not if Niagara is there from what's been talked about lol. 78 points in 28 games. 6,2' and 185 pounds at 15 is just wild.

If the draft was tomorrow, going into the lottery it would look like this:

40% at 1st overall - Niagara Ice Dog (1)
30% at 1st overall - Erie Otters (2)
20% at 1st overall - Soo Greyhounds (3)
10% at 1st overall - Kingston Frontenac. (4)

Erie with 1 game in hand 5 points behind the Soo.
Kingston and SSM have the same amount of points at 51 but Kingston has 1 game in hand and more regulation wins.

One way to guarantee a better chance at first overall is to let Erie pass us. Not saying the team should, or will, but yeah haha.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
PASS US ERIE!

1678119614728.png

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I'm happy we are losing. I'm not afraid to say it. Fischy and his fan elitism can kick rocks.

if we looked like a playoff team at the deadline who knows what kind of stupid moves (or lack of moves) the organization would have made.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
One way to guarantee a better chance at first overall is to let Erie pass us. Not saying the team should, or will, but yeah haha.
We are currently 18th, but if we move off 18th it's much more likely we move to 17th than 19th. Kingston has been horrible of late, losing 10 straight in regulation and being outscored a combined 51-20 over that stretch. To put it in perspective, as bad as the Greyhounds have been we've "only" been outscored 48-36 over the last 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad