SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
don't forget 2 modern twin pad practice facilities including the brand new state of the art NCC. i skated on it for the first time last night. it's a truly incredible facility.

5 dressing rooms in the GFL.

6 total extra ice pads in the Soo including this new facility. Agree with you there!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Does it matter though? You have to drive for 19 minutes ( according to Google Maps ) from Dow Event Centre to Frankenmuth. The fact you have SSM ( and apparently Kingston, but I can't speak for that for sure as I've never been there ) where you can walk to ANY of the amenities within 10 minutes MAX 15 minutes and a lot of the same amenities too. Museums, bush plane museum, Roberta Bondar pavilion for fan fest, march street BRAND NEW OUTDOOR PLAZA for fan fests, our mall is across the road, you can walk out of the bay street entrances to the arena, and take 50 steps to the door of our biggest mall. 3 massive hotels within MINUTES of the arena ( two on the same block across the roads on each side of the arena, one with underground parking too ) . Regardless it is part of the bid, Craig Goslin has mentioned that its part of the bid...

I dunno...... head scratcher to me but again I'm from the Soo so it will appear as biased lol!

the more I look at it....the Saginaw Spirit only has 1 thing over the Soo and that's Misa...but the way it's going we will have our own Misa calibre style player next year...2 of the 3 top players applied for exceptional status... so that factor comes down a lot too in my opinion. Head to head SSM vs SAG the teams play each other very well.

plus 16-year-olds don't win you championships anyways..."exceptional" or not.
I’m calling BS on everything being in Frankemuth. That’s why it matters. If it’s so sure to be the case, what’s actually happening there?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I’m calling BS on everything being in Frankemuth. That’s why it matters. If it’s so sure to be the case, what’s actually happening there?

I didn't say everything was. Im sure you will have some events at that new park built but the plan is still to spread it out through Frankenmuth, and another location I cannot remember off the top of my head. Its talked about here...he actually mentions the hotels in Frankenmuth so it sounds like they will need to use those hotels. thats how I take it anyways...

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I didn't say everything was. Im sure you will have some events at that new park built but the plan is still to spread it out through Frankenmuth, and another location I cannot remember off the top of my head. Its talked about here...he actually mentions the hotels in Frankenmuth so it sounds like they will need to use those hotels. thats how I take it anyways...

He mentions Frankemuth because it’s a tourist trap that makes money for the area. Nothing he says in that interview lays out what their plans are for the event.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Misa won't be 16 next season. 17 year old exceptional status players can play a big part in a championship bid.
sorry, 17.

oh yeah, like who?

my comment was talking about 16/17 year old making an impact... I don't care if he's got exceptional status..will he even make an impact in the Memorial Cup or deep in the playoffs when the men come out to play. Look at St John's. Dont even think they had a 17-year-old on their roster, nor did Hamilton.

There also isn't an example where a team with an exceptional status player has been rewarded it solely off having an exceptional status player, so you have no proof to back that up lol

now maybe there is a case that the league wants to try it out...but it's also my understanding that team performance only takes up 20% of the bid...

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Their intention is to shuttle people to and from. You don't need to believe me, i won't lose sleep.
Yes if people choose to stay there, they may shuttle them as a convenience. That’s has nothing to do with side events being held there though.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
sorry, 17.

oh yeah, like who?

my comment was talking about 16/17 year old making an impact... I don't care if he's got exceptional status..will he even make an impact in the Memorial Cup or deep in the playoffs when the men come out to play. Look at St John's. Dont even think they had a 17-year-old on their roster, nor did Hamilton.

There also isn't an example where a team with an exceptional status player has been rewarded it solely off having an exceptional status player, so you have no proof to back that up lol

now maybe there is a case that the league wants to try it out...but it's also my understanding that team performance only takes up 20% of the bid...
Taylor Hall was 17 in 2009

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
IMO if Sault Ste. Marie has a weak spot in our bid it's the cost of getting here. Flights to the Sault from Toronto are gross expensive. Perhaps our competitiveness. As it stands we are not a championship calibre team next year.

Otherwise I believe we have the city, the facilities, and the fans necessary to host one hell of a party.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
What about the team?

Host City Selection Criteria: The CHL will form a Memorial Cup Selection Committee that will review proposals from interested OHL teams and choose a host city based on a number of factors, including:
1. The quality and reputation of the CHL hockey franchise;
2. The expected competitiveness of the host CHL franchise team in the year of the event;
3. The facilities and amenities of the host city including arena, hotels, banquets facilities, community attractions and event spaces for large gatherings;
4. The community’s ability to host an outstanding event and create an event atmosphere that will enhance the fan experience.
5. A comprehensive business plan demonstrating sufficient financial strength and support from community and corporate partners.

the team is soft as dog 💩 as it stands
Who cares man... as fans I cant believe we have anyone who thinks we don't deserve this based on one bad year. I will continue to say that this year's team does not matter. We haven't been healthy all year and we return 99% of the roster next year. 1 good draft and an offseason can change a ton.

its a slap in the face to the fans who have been begging for this opportunity for 30 years.

Reactions: Roadhog

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
IMO if Sault Ste. Marie has a weak spot in our bid it's the cost of getting here. Flights to the Sault from Toronto are gross expensive. Perhaps our competitiveness. As it stands we are not a championship calibre team next year.

Otherwise I believe we have the city, the facilities, and the fans necessary to host one hell of a party.
i also believe being named host changes this so much it's not even funny. You're going to see players report to camp that we would never have before....

Reactions: SSMHoundsFan

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
you sound like Fischhaber Petey lol.

a back door mem cup hosting year with a team that loses all their games is a waste and would be a huge fail for Raftis. and i haven't seen enough from this core to believe we are anything more than that.

• Haha

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
a back door mem cup hosting year with a team that loses all their games is a waste.

It's a massive opportunity for the city, the fans, the players, the coaches, etc...

It may not be something you want but I think you're in the 1% here lol

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i also believe being named host changes this so much it's not even funny. You're going to see players report to camp that we would never have before....
i think that's what we're all hoping for. the smart thing would have been to build a team before the bid. ;)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

It's a massive opportunity for the city, the fans, the players, the coaches, etc...

It may not be something you want but I think you're in the 1% here lol
i didn't say i don't want it.

i said i wish our gm had built a championship calibre team before we bid on it. if we knew we were going to bid this year why were we so reluctant to make the necessary sacrifices the last 4 seasons to build an elite team?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
sorry, 17.

oh yeah, like who?

Ok, let's break this down.

1) Oh yeah, like who?
Because the hosts rotate between the 3 leagues, and there have only been 7 exceptional status players, there is actually only one instance of an exceptional status player in their 16 year old season playing for a team in the league that is hosting that year. 2014 Connor McDavid (the host that year was London). I am pretty sure Erie didn't bid to host that year, so there are exactly 0 examples to draw from. But if Erie did bid, you don't think the fact that Connor McDavid was on the roster was going to have a big impact on them hosting? Remember, the league is looking to make money from the Memorial Cup. Guaranteeing Connor McDavid was playing would generate more revenue. You don't think if the league could have had Connor Bedard there last season they would have?

2) my comment was talking about 16/17 year old making an impact... I don't care if he's got exceptional status..will he even make an impact in the Memorial Cup or deep in the playoffs when the men come out to play. Look at St John's. Dont even think they had a 17-year-old on their roster, nor did Hamilton.
The last exceptional status player to play in the playoffs in their 16 year old season was Connor McDavid in that same 2013-2014 season. He was 2nd in the entire league in points per game in the regular season with 1.77 and he was tied for the top scorer on his team in the playoffs. Erie lost in the conference finals to the eventual winners Guelph Storm.
The year before that 16 year old Aaron Ekblad's Colts lost in 7 games in the OHL finals to London.
Last year 16 year old Bedard's Pats didn't make the playoffs, but in the regular season he was 4th in the league for points per game.
15 year old Misa is 22nd in the league in points per game so far this season. It would not surprise me to see 16 year old Misa up there next season either. You don't think an exceptional status player can have an impact in the playoffs?

3) There also isn't an example where a team with an exceptional status player has been rewarded it solely off having an exceptional status player, so you have no proof to back that up lol
Again, there are exactly 0 examples of teams bidding that would have a 16 year old exceptional status player on their roster. So I guess I have no proof.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Ok, let's break this down.

1) Oh yeah, like who?
Because the hosts rotate between the 3 leagues, and there have only been 7 exceptional status players, there is actually only one instance of an exceptional status player in their 16 year old season playing for a team in the league that is hosting that year. 2014 Connor McDavid (the host that year was London). I am pretty sure Erie didn't bid to host that year, so there are exactly 0 examples to draw from. But if Erie did bid, you don't think the fact that Connor McDavid was on the roster was going to have a big impact on them hosting? Remember, the league is looking to make money from the Memorial Cup. Guaranteeing Connor McDavid was playing would generate more revenue. You don't think if the league could have had Connor Bedard there last season they would have?

2) my comment was talking about 16/17 year old making an impact... I don't care if he's got exceptional status..will he even make an impact in the Memorial Cup or deep in the playoffs when the men come out to play. Look at St John's. Dont even think they had a 17-year-old on their roster, nor did Hamilton.
The last exceptional status player to play in the playoffs in their 16 year old season was Connor McDavid in that same 2013-2014 season. He was 2nd in the entire league in points per game in the regular season with 1.77 and he was tied for the top scorer on his team in the playoffs. Erie lost in the conference finals to the eventual winners Guelph Storm.
The year before that 16 year old Aaron Ekblad's Colts lost in 7 games in the OHL finals to London.
Last year 16 year old Bedard's Pats didn't make the playoffs, but in the regular season he was 4th in the league for points per game.
15 year old Misa is 22nd in the league in points per game so far this season. It would not surprise me to see 16 year old Misa up there next season either. You don't think an exceptional status player can have an impact in the playoffs?

3) There also isn't an example where a team with an exceptional status player has been rewarded it solely off having an exceptional status player, so you have no proof to back that up lol
Again, there are exactly 0 examples of teams bidding that would have a 16 year old exceptional status player on their roster. So I guess I have no proof.

So you typed all that to come out with still 0 proof about being awarded a memorial cup based off of having an exceptional status player?

Connor McDavid is beyond an exceptional status player. He's a generational player.

I noticed you left pieces out.. like how Ekblad had 5 points in the 13 games during that playoff run.

Alot of what ifs..

But what I do know is there's no proof that an exceptional status player gives a team an edge in the bidding process.

I think the league is going to recognize that it's very possible that SSM KGN AND NIA are going to have a very high caliber player on the same level as Misa. 2 of the top 4 rated players also applied for exceptional status and you have to be silly if you don't think they're on Misa level in some way.

Yes it's possible he could have an impact but what Im alluding to is that I've yet to see it..so where is the foregone conclusion coming from that this is the make or break decision for hosting haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad