SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I think we should use the other OA spot on an impact player. Ivanov is definitely not that player.

Should but will they?

Will they see it easier to keep Ivanov as an OA rather than finding another goalie?

Obviously being named host or not changes direction of the team but is Miller the backup if we are host? That's where the " he should have had more starts this season " conversations will start.

I guess that's where having a top 4 pick could come in handy... could find a nice goalie in the import draft maybe. With OHL picking first and draft lottery determining the selection for it as well.

I don't think Schenkel / Miller combo is a championship / memorial cup combo if that's the direction we are going in.

Miller should have played early on this season so he could get used to OHL pace and speed of shot etc.. so all his hiccups were out of the way. This will have to be done next year now... or does he get buried like Ethan Taylor did.. 🤷‍♂️.

This isn't a knock on Miller. Very aware of his talents.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWI Dale

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Should but will they?

Will they see it easier to keep Ivanov as an OA rather than finding another goalie?

Obviously being named host or not changes direction of the team but is Miller the backup if we are host? That's where the " he should have had more starts this season " conversations will start.

I guess that's where having a top 4 pick could come in handy... could find a nice goalie in the import draft maybe. With OHL picking first and draft lottery determining the selection for it as well.

I don't think Schenkel / Miller combo is a championship / memorial cup combo if that's the direction we are going in.

Miller should have played early on this season so he could get used to OHL pace and speed of shot etc.. so all his hiccups were out of the way. This will have to be done next year now... or does he get buried like Ethan Taylor did.. 🤷‍♂️.

The import draft goalies that are NHL drafted are based on connections usually, so doesnt matter where you pick in the draft

i.e.
Zhigalov (COL) picked 47th in '22
Merilainen (OTT) picked 48th in '21
Cajan (now with COL) picked 49th in '20
Malik (TB) picked 50th in '19

So if OHL picks 46th this yyear its guaranteed to be an NHL goalie lmao

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Should but will they?

Not saying that Miller is the backup on a mem cup hosted team...not even close lol. he's too young and inexperienced. but i am saying that even if we waste an OA spot on a backup goalie, (which we shouldn't) Ivanov is not that guy. this team doesn't play the same in front of him.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
yes. i think the discussion is around whether miller is ready to be a backup on a contender considering how little OHL experience he is getting this year. and ivanov would be a good backup but not as an OA.
Charlie was always our number 1 guy.

Reactions: howlman

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Charlie was always our number 1 guy.
And how much did Charlie play last year? Yet he is our number one guy, extremely solid this year?
Miller is playing lots with the Tbirds doing very well. He saw significant time at Hounds practice and some games. He is very talented. I would think having playing time in Jr A is more significant and OHL exposure along with it should bode well for him as a back up next year and seeing perhaps 20 games going into playoffs. He made the jump from midget to Jr A. Jr A starter to OHL backup seems reasonable for such a talented tender.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
seems like a great idea until schenkel is injured in a mem cup hosting season and we have to ride a 17 year old with a few games of ohl experience lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
And how much did Charlie play last year? Yet he is our number one guy, extremely solid this year?
Miller is playing lots with the Tbirds doing very well. He saw significant time at Hounds practice and some games. He is very talented. I would think having playing time in Jr A is more significant and OHL exposure along with it should bode well for him as a back up next year and seeing perhaps 20 games going into playoffs. He made the jump from midget to Jr A. Jr A starter to OHL backup seems reasonable for such a talented tender.
Charlie should have been number 1 last year. Getting Tynan hurt Charlie but because of his INDIVIDUAL efforts he's over came. Of all 3 goalies last year I ALWAYS said Charlie was the best.

Playing Ivanov over Miller will be what hurts Miller. He's extremely talented but its not 100% going to translate over to the OHL next year. I would have liked to see a minimum of 10 games played this year personally..

Look at Charlie Burns.. his stats are better than Miller in NOJHL.

3 games played in the O. 5.72 GAA. I know it's Niagara but still those are the "growing pains " we will deal with next year and all I'm alluding to is IF we are named host or going with this championship mentality I'm not sure the team will want to go through those growing pain situations next year.....

I am fully aware of Millers talent and never once knocked his talents.

seems like a great idea until schenkel is injured in a mem cup hosting and we have to ride a 17 year old with a few games of ohl experience lol
Exactly what I'm saying.. that's a solid idea if we aren't hosting.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This season has been rough. With 16 wins, we are currently on pace to finish the regular season with fewer than 21 wins. The last time we were in this territory was 2008-2009 (19 wins). Lots of games going past regulation have propped us up somewhat in the standings, but 16 wins in 52 games is not good; not by a long shot.

If no change is made this off season to either GM/head coach I will be quite disappointed with Lukenda.

As for Ivanov/Miller/someone else - I would be moving on from Ivanov if this team is all in next year (might get a small return for him). Based on our lack of assets, I would probably give Miller time to find his footing as a backup, but address it by the trade deadline or in the event of an injury to Schenkel if it's not going well. Probably leave that 3rd OA spot open until the TDL as well until it was clear what position needed bolstering the most and what the options were to do so. There will probably be few if any trades in the off season and early next season with hopefully an impact IMPORT reporting, a big fish acquired at the TDL, and another move at TDL to shore up goaltending/add a 3rd OA. That's probably all our GM can do. Will it be enough?

If we don't win hosting rights and we don't get off to a good start, start looking to retool. Still not convinced the current front office would ever take this path though.

Reactions: staubitz

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
If no change is made this off season to either GM/head coach I will be quite disappointed with Lukenda.

Lukenda is as to blame for this mess as Raftis, maybe MORE! Maybe he should learn his lesson and stay out of hockey operations.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We drove out to the Soo from our trailer in Oliphant on the Bruce Peninsula once. Loved the city. Waterfront was amazing. People fishing for salmon in the river using downriggers hooked on to a wooden railing. Never saw that before. That got my fishing blood going. Wish we could have gotten into a game there but it was off season. We did go into the old Sault Memorial Gardens for a look. Grey Hounds are a great old franchise. :)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
We drove out to the Soo from our trailer in Oliphant on the Bruce Peninsula once. Loved the city. Waterfront was amazing. People fishing for salmon in the river using downriggers hooked on to a wooden railing. Never saw that before. That got my fishing blood going. Wish we could have gotten into a game there but it was off season. We did go into the old Sault Memorial Gardens for a look. Grey Hounds are a great old franchise. :)

I'm a very serious fisherman myself. Algoma is truly an anglers paradise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad