SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
first i would tell Raftis to grow a set and do what's best for the organization, not what's best for 1 player.

what do you tell brady martin in 3 years if he committed to winning a championship here in the soo but we fail to surround him with a contending team just like we did with BMB before him and O'Rourke's age class before that?
What do you say if Bryce refuses and wants to win a championship with the team that gave him the opportunity to be a NHL player and also drafted his brother?
Exactly. i can't really understand why anyone would let a player dictate anything. if you want to win championships, think with your head, not your heart.

granted, bryce could invoke his NTC if he wanted to, that he earned as a first rounder. but lets face it, this team at this point isn't winning the western conference. i'd be surprised if we cracked the top 4. why bryce wouldn't want to go win a championship is beyond me.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Exactly. i can't really understand why anyone would let a player dictate anything. if you want to win championships, think with your head, not your heart.

granted, bryce could invoke his NTC if he wanted to, that he earned as a first rounder. but lets face it, this team at this point isn't winning the western conference. i'd be surprised if we cracked the top 4. why bryce wouldn't want to go win a championship is beyond me.

It's his right

Some of you do not take any consideration about the relationships built and the disadvantage the Soo has to southern teams, obviously. This isn't the NHL. Go ride your favorite NHL team this hard. It's a development league and PLAYERS come first, championships come second. Some of you may not enjoy hearing that.

Most teams in this league can think with their brains only and get away with it. I don't think the Soo has that luxury... don't sit here and tell me Dubas only used his brains and not heart. Guy took the same people and players with him along the way and has won NOTHING at the end of the day ..

I'm pretty sure Mike Farwell from Kitchener spoke about this and the process the Soo has to take, a more unconventional process.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
It's his right

Some of you do not take any consideration about the relationships built and the disadvantage the Soo has to southern teams, obviously. This isn't the NHL. Go ride your favorite NHL team this hard. It's a development league and PLAYERS come first, championships come second. Some of you may not enjoy hearing that.

Most teams in this league can think with their brains only and get away with it. I don't think the Soo has that luxury... don't sit here and tell me Dubas only used his brains and not heart. Guy took the same people and players with him along the way and has won NOTHING at the end of the day ..

I'm pretty sure Mike Farwell from Kitchener spoke about this and the process the Soo has to take, a more unconventional process.
so long as they are charging big money to see games this is a business, and any business is results driven. already we've seen season tickets go from a waiting list only to readily available. the attendance has also dropped since 2018. Raftis can be Mr Nice Guy but in a results driven business it will cost the organization money and fan support.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
so long as they are charging big money to see games this is a business, and business is results driven. already we've seen season tickets go from a waiting list only to readily available. the attendance has also dropped. Mr Raftis can be Mr Nice Guy but in a results driven business it will cost the organization money

Dude..there hasn't been a waiting list for season tickets since the new arena was built......

Maybe a waiting list for new suites.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I think I've mentioned it a few times... I can see the point of view from both sides. I'm not gonna post that I'm pissed off if we sell, or if we add and run. I see the pros and cons to both. I'm simply playing devils advocate for the other side, lol.

I agree we could be poised to be a real threat if we sell, BUT, I also do see a team that once gelled, once we get our 6 back, I don't know if many other teams will be able to hang with us. Just my opinion, I think this team is going to make it hard on us fans once the ball starts rolling.

I mean obviously we all want to be a power house, with 10 elite nhl players every year, and first place all year, but it's just not realistic. It's easy to say than do, I feel.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Dude..there hasn't been a waiting list for season tickets since the new arena was built......

Maybe a waiting list for new suites.
there was no waiting list last year when i bought 4 seats and pretty much had my pick of where i wanted to sit lol.

whens the last time we didn't have someone that wasn't an american flyer report? i can't recall. i get the relationship point, but at some point we have run this like a business and not to be everyones best friend. this fan base deserves a championship just like everyone does. its been a loooonnngggg wait.

I think I've mentioned it a few times... I can see the point of view from both sides. I'm not gonna post that I'm pissed off if we sell, or if we add and run. I see the pros and cons to both. I'm simply playing devils advocate for the other side, lol.

I agree we could be poised to be a real threat if we sell, BUT, I also do see a team that once gelled, once we get our 6 back, I don't know if many other teams will be able to hang with us. Just my opinion, I think this team is going to make it hard on us fans once the ball starts rolling.

I mean obviously we all want to be a power house, with 10 elite nhl players every year, and first place all year, but it's just not realistic. It's easy to say than do, I feel.
i agree that this year will be a fun team to watch and will probably win more than they lose, but everyone else is getting their top 6 back too and the west will be a tough conference this year. london is always good cause hunter fleeces other gm's and he makes the right deals. Guelph is poised to be much better this year, saginaw is already a good team with a ton of assets, Owen sound should be much improved, so that leaves us at at least 5th. at this point, Erie has made some strides too, and flint is always decent to middle of the pack.

if we are in it come january, then maybe i'll jump on the wagon. but if we aren't, i hope raftis can make the right deals and not keep a kid cause he doesn't want to hurt his feelings or that of his family, and keep us in this cycle of 2nd round exits.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
if we are in it come january, then maybe i'll jump on the wagon. but if we aren't, i hope raftis can make the right deals and not keep a kid cause he doesn't want to hurt his feelings or that of his family, and keep us in this cycle of 2nd round exits.
That's where I'm at. Keeping things open. See how we start the season out or where we are near deadline.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
none of us are asking to be elite every year, but being elite every 3-5 years would be nice. and imo there is no excuse to not build a team around top 5 overall picks like BMB or Martin. whats the point in suffering through losing seasons if there isn't a payoff?

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I wonder what would have happened in 2021-2022 if Dickinson hadn't had that season ending injury. I think the team was still short a top-6 forward even with Dickinson healthy.

To change my mind about this team, at Christmas we need to be looking at ~ a point per game from 2 out of these 5 players; Fantino, Cloutier, Mignosa, Montroy, Clattenberg. I just can't see it. I can see Cloutier hitting Ryan Roth type numbers in his 18 year old season (42 pts) but not much more than that.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I wonder what would have happened in 2021-2022 if Dickinson hadn't had that season ending injury. I think the team was still short a top-6 forward even with Dickinson healthy.

To change my mind about this team, at Christmas we need to be looking at ~ a point per game from 2 out of these 5 players; Fantino, Cloutier, Mignosa, Montroy, Clattenberg. I just can't see it. I can see Cloutier hitting Ryan Roth type numbers in his 18 year old season (42 pts) but not much more than that.

It may not be a surprise but I was on "Team Sell" at that point because I felt we were "good, not great" and hadn't restocked the cupboards when we had the chance in 2019.

Watching Hamilton win a 2nd cup in 4 years was also a great illustration of how quickly you can turn around a team from one run to the next when you strategically sell off as they did in 2019 (Entwhistle, Saigeon, Mattinen).

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
It may not be a surprise but I was on "Team Sell" at that point because I felt we were "good, not great" and hadn't restocked the cupboards when we had the chance in 2019.

Watching Hamilton win a 2nd cup in 4 years was also a great illustration of how quickly you can turn around a team from one run to the next when you strategically sell off as they did in 2019 (Entwhistle, Saigeon, Mattinen).
I was on team sell or team all in. Stopping at Thompson was a mistake

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
first i would tell Raftis to grow a set and do what's best for the organization, not what's best for 1 player.
Raftis could trade BMB if BMB is ok with it.
what do you tell brady martin in 3 years if he committed to winning a championship here in the soo but we fail to surround him with a contending team just like we did with BMB before him and O'Rourke's age class before that?

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
CHL Top 10 rankings : ( rank # 2 )
we have to give the London Knights credit.
every year they always seem to have a good team.
There never seems a year where there is a chance they miss the playoffs.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sept. 11 LDN "Ryan Humphrey, Mathieu Paris" NIAG "Juan Copeland, NB 2 2026, FLNT 3 2026"
Sept. 5 LDN "Connor Federkow, Mike Levin" NIAG "SAR 3 2025, OS 5 2025"
Oct 11 LDN "Gerard Keane, MISS 12 2023" NIAG "Alec Leonard, NB 3 2023, MISS 2 2026"
Sept 7 LDN Owen Flores NIAG "NIAG 5 2024, NIAG 2 2026"
Aug 31 NIAG Sam Dickinson LDN "NB 3 2023, LDN 5 2023, LDN 2 2024, LDN 2 2025, LDN 3 2025, LDN 2 2026, LDN 3 2026"

This is highway robbery. London and Niagara have swapped 3x 2nds, 3x 3rds and 1x 5ths over the last year through 5 separate transactions. If you remove those swapped picks, the trades basically boil down to:
LDN "Ryan Humphrey, Mathieu Paris, Connor Federkow, Mike Levin, Gerard Keane, Owen Flores, 12th" NIAG "Sam Dickinson, Alec Leonard, Juan Copeland, 5th"

Also, the picks that they swapped were almost upgrades for London (ie. LDN 2nd going out/ NIAG 2nd coming in). No wonder they are back to being competitive so quickly.

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Mignosa had 37pts last season as a 17 year old. On a terrible team. I think him and cloutier can be ppg players this season based off how they look so far

This was replying to HockeyPops
Mignosa had 37pts last season as a 17 year old. On a terrible team. I think him and cloutier can be ppg players this season based off how they look so far

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Still no updates on suspension from the shenanigans in Sudbury
Screenshot_20230922_063202_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad