SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Only Mainella and Nurse didn't go on to play CHL or NCAA from that draft.
I had Nurse counted as having played in the OHL. I confused him with Isaac I guess. Thanks for the update re: NCAA.

That has to be one of if not the best draft year in hounds history.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I had Nurse counted as having played in the OHL. I confused him with Isaac I guess. Thanks for the update re: NCAA.

I agree. I'd say 1990 was a solid second tho.

Jarret reid
Tom Macdonald
Drew Bannister
Perry Pappas
Shaun imber
Mark matier
Ralph intronouvo

This was a great draft as well

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

not something you can ever plan for but they did well for years. kierns in the 4th was outstanding. kartye in like the 8th. im pretty confident that team would not have taken holmes or beadreau as their first two picks.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Calculate who has the most drafted players playing in the OHL since 2019. I guarantee you the Soo is top 3 in percentage. Drafted players playing in the O...

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I didn't gather ALL the info myself but yeah.

North Bay 1, London 2, Soo 3 and Ottawa 4

33.8%, 32.5%, 32% and 31.6%

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Soo has done a lot of things well. It's certainly a much better run organization than it was 15-20 years ago. Yes lots of players drafted. Yes lots of wins. But not many banners hanging in the rafters. Kind of sounds like the Leafs. The fans are critical because they know the team is close and with a few small tweaks could get over the hump.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
The Soo has done a lot of things well. It's certainly a much better run organization than it was 15-20 years ago. Yes lots of players drafted. Yes lots of wins. But not many banners hanging in the rafters. Kind of sounds like the Leafs. The fans are critical because they know the team is close and with a few small tweaks could get over the hump.
How much of not having banners is just bad luck though? Most teams as good as the 14/15 Hounds win a championship. But they ran into McDavid. 17/18 - 116 pt season. If you replay that season, I’m sure they’d win a championship more often than not. I dunno.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
How much of not having banners is just bad luck though? Most teams as good as the 14/15 Hounds win a championship. But they ran into McDavid. 17/18 - 116 pt season. If you replay that season, I’m sure they’d win a championship more often than not. I dunno.

Agreed

Fair assessment.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Calculate who has the most drafted players playing in the OHL since 2019. I guarantee you the Soo is top 3 in percentage. Drafted players playing in the O...

we have access to average career points per drafted player, the soo is at 16 in the time period from 2019 to 2023. the 4 years before that, 2015 to 2018, they were #1. we used points because anyone can play, its how impactful you are. dosent work with goalies but every team uses a pick on a goalie. sweenely lead the group from 2019 to now, vic lead the group from 2015 - 2018.

i can look up percentage of picks that played 50 games, the soo is 6th, but when you analyze it further, in that time period soo picks where 16th in the league on productivity. so you sign and play players, but they may not be as impactful as the previous 4 years (2015-2018), which was the top production in the ohl.

looking at the team, that makes alot of sense. havent had a kierns, holliwell or kartyle type of pick the last 4 years.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
2015 and 2018 were definitely close. so close I can still taste it.

that's the kind of deep, high skilled teams it takes to win and even then it isn't always enough. that's why its not for me to look at the last 5 years and say we haven't been close.

those 3 teams have all had a contending team in that span. we have not.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
2015 and 2018 were definitely close. so close I can still taste it.

that's the kind of deep, high skilled teams it takes to win and even then it isn't always enough. that's why its not for me to look at the last 5 years and say we haven't been close.
when you no longer can pull out high end players in the 5th round and past, it becomes even harder, you need your top picks to be lights out, no room for error.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Screenshot_20230920_182854_X.jpg

Reactions: DWI Dale

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I must say I'm very impressed with the 16 and 17 year olds this game. Granted, I know they weren't playing against the wolves' best, but we didn't have our best either. Martin was a force. Hayes looked good and man, Solomon is gonna be a stud. Already reminds me of Jordan smith. Can see he plays with an edge already.

Looking forward to the next couple of years. If we can build around our crop of 16 and 17 year olds, it'll be a fun few years in houndtown. It'd be nice to move bryce for a first rounder from this year to add to it. And give him a chance at a championship at the same time.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
What do you say if Bryce refuses and wants to win a championship with the team that gave him the opportunity to be a NHL player and also drafted his brother?

first i would tell Raftis to grow a set and do what's best for the organization, not what's best for 1 player.

what do you tell brady martin in 3 years if he committed to winning a championship here in the soo but we fail to surround him with a contending team just like we did with BMB before him and O'Rourke's age class before that?

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i watched about half the game last night.

our lettered guys all showed up ready to play. cloutiers backhand goal was a beauty!
the powerplay was a bit off but i think that's to be expected when top guys and so many are learning new systems. sudbury seems to have some hotheads that their coach needs to send a message too because had our PP been firing we could have run away with the game in the 1st period. anxious to see the full starting line up in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad