SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Its too bad Clattenburg will be suspended to start the season...

If you play that style sometimes it comes back to haunt you.Collins from the Wolves is still recovering (surgery) from a dirty hit that the league only gave Clattenburg 6 games for.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
If you play that style sometimes it comes back to haunt you.Collins from the Wolves is still recovering (surgery) from a dirty hit that the league only gave Clattenburg 6 games for.

5 games, although originally I thought it was only 4 games.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i don't see it as realistic to build our top 6 up through trades while still having enough in the cupboards to compete in the arms race at the trade deadline.

you're supposed to build a team through the draft, then compliment an already elite core with a deadline splash. if we need to start trading assets just to round out our top 6 how in the hell does anybody think we are real contenders this year?

i'm not buying those magic beans.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
i don't see it as realistic to build our top 6 up through trades while still having enough in the cupboards to compete in the arms race at the trade deadline.

you're supposed to build a team through the draft, then compliment an already elite core with a deadline splash. if we need to start trading assets just to round out our top 6 how in the hell does anybody think we are real contenders this year?

i'm not buying those magic beans.

Peterborough Petes won an OHL championship with a team that without going and grabbing Othmann very early( Nov) to "round out the top 6" then splashing with Hayes at deadline, they may not have won anything...

You could easily compare Petes at the start of 2022/2023 to the roster we have now, statistically speaking... they finished last in the division in 2021/2022, the same core next year won a championship... they had Joe Carroll at 4th in points lol.

It's proof, as a good buddy once said, that not all championship teams use the same mold.

Last edited:

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
2021/2022 Peterborough Petes
Screenshot_20230920_111137_Chrome.jpg

2022/2023 Peterborough Petes
Screenshot_20230920_111147_Chrome.jpg

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
It cost Peterborough this to add Othmann in November.
Artem Guryev
PBO 3 2023
HAM 2 2024
PBO 3 2026

It cost them this to add Avery Hayes and Gavin White at the deadline:

Nick Lardis
Sahil Panwar
FLNT 3 2023
PBO 6 2026*

Artem Guryev
Nick Lardis
Sahil Panwar
X2 3rd round picks in 2023
2nd round pick 2024
3rd round pick in 2026
6th round conditional pick in 2026

When they moved Guryev he was coming off an 11 point season. 1 goal.

That above is what won them an OHL championship.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
These were the major deals that Peterborough was involved in last year from the start of the season until the deadline:

Lockhart for Alfano, 2, 3
Panwar for 4, 5, 6
Othmann for Guryev, 2, 3, 3
Hayes, White for Lardis (17 y/o 1st), Panwar, 3, 6
Beck for Van Volsen (16 y/o 1st), DeZoete, 2, 2, 3, 4
Gauvreau, 3, 4 for Guo, 6

Net picks out 4x 2nds, 4x 3rds, 1x 4ths
They still have 1x 2nds, 1x 3rds, 1x 4ths

So their picks cupboard before they started was 5x 2nds, 5x 3rds, 2x 4ths.
In comparison, ours is 4x 2nds, 3x 3rds, 7x 4ths.

Our cupboards are less full than Peterborough's, even if we are willing to move Martin.

So the first 5 games of this season he's out?
Eligible to return Oct 9 according to league media notes

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It cost Peterborough this to add Othmann in November.
Artem Guryev
PBO 3 2023
HAM 2 2024
PBO 3 2026

It cost them this to add Avery Hayes and Gavin White at the deadline:

Nick Lardis
Sahil Panwar
FLNT 3 2023
PBO 6 2026*

Artem Guryev
Nick Lardis
Sahil Panwar
X2 3rd round picks in 2023
2nd round pick 2024
3rd round pick in 2026
6th round conditional pick in 2026

When they moved Guryev he was coming off an 11 point season. 1 goal.

That above is what won them an OHL championship.
They also already had developed talents (by OHL standards) in Stillman, Robertson, Lockhart, Mayer, Avon. They supplemented a core that was primed to run.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
These were the major deals that Peterborough was involved in last year from the start of the season until the deadline:

Lockhart for Alfano, 2, 3
Panwar for 4, 5, 6
Othmann for Guryev, 2, 3, 3
Hayes, White for Lardis (17 y/o 1st), Panwar, 3, 6
Beck for Van Volsen (16 y/o 1st), DeZoete, 2, 2, 3, 4
Gauvreau, 3, 4 for Guo, 6

Net picks out 4x 2nds, 4x 3rds, 1x 4ths
They still have 1x 2nds, 1x 3rds, 1x 4ths

So their picks cupboard before they started was 5x 2nds, 5x 3rds, 2x 4ths.
In comparison, ours is 4x 2nds, 3x 3rds, 7x 4ths.

Our cupboards are less full than Peterborough's, even if we are willing to move Martin.

That's only 1 more 2nd round pick than us, only 2 more 3rd round picks than us, and we have 5 more 4ths then them.

So they had 3 more draft picks than us and they had to make all those moves...who was/is positioned better actually before they started?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
They also already had developed talents (by OHL standards) in Stillman, Robertson, Lockhart, Mayer, Avon. They supplemented a core that was primed to run.

Ya.. that's why everyone had Petes as the winner going into the season LOL...

Going into the 2022/2023 season:

Chase Stillman had 10 goals 19 assists 29 points

Sam Mayer had 11 goals 26 assists 37 points

J.R Avon had 29 goals 39 assists 68 points

Connor Lockart was not in Peterborough during 21/22 season.

Robertson had 41 goals 40 assists 81 points.

Going into this year we return:

BMB 30 goals 47 assists 77 points

Kirill Kudryavtsev 8 goals 42 assists 50 points.

Jordan D'intino 24 goals 18 assists 42 points

Brendan Sirrizotti 14 goals 25 assists 39 points.

I dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnno. Are we saying the above mentioned aren't developed talent by OHL standards?

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Most had the Petes’ taking the east division.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Most had the Petes’ taking the east division.

Yes just read over the season post. Was looking at the playoff post where everyone that took petes kept saying " I'll go bold" or " take a chance" or that OMG guy saying Petes will never win championship lol

It's a easy comparison to make, one I bet the team itself has even made.

yep, against the Spits!

Reactions: dirty12

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Going into this year we return:

BMB 30 goals 47 assists 77 points

Kirill Kudryavtsev 8 goals 42 assists 50 points.

Jordan D'intino 24 goals 18 assists 42 points

Brendan Sirrizotti 14 goals 25 assists 39 points.

I dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnno. Are we saying the above mentioned aren't developed talent by OHL standards?
The Soo certainly have good players to start. I think I have them picked for 4th or 5th in the west. Can't remember specifically where. I would say the Petes in 22/23 started from a better position and with better talent.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i think you're in for a long year of "i told you so's" again Pete. not that you've learned anything from the past few seasons. it's starting to feel like you and fischhaber live in the same alternate universe.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i think you're in for a long year of "i told you so's" again Pete. not that you've learned anything from the past few seasons. it's starting to feel like you and fischhaber live in the same alternate universe.
i give him credit, hes very loyal if anything.

they were not on the initial top chl top 10 list, not sure i would have expected it either

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I support the team and the decisions they make. I'm proud to say I'm a Greyhound fan.

I don't sit around and wait for good years to show up, while bashing the entire organization for things I think i coule have done better but couldn't.

That's the universe @Fischhaber and I come from lol

Ironically, the post above that I posted with the 15 year success got ignored. I wonder why? 🤔

This forum went from chirping our scouts and saying Victor is the reason we have no good prospects to praising our prospects and the drafts we've had OFF OF 2 TRAINING CAMP GAMES AND A RED AND WHITE GAME. Think about that for a second LOL.

Reactions: Fischhaber

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I support the team and the decisions they make. I'm proud to say I'm a Greyhound fan.

I don't sit around and wait for good years to show up, while bashing the entire organization for things I think i coule have done better but couldn't.

Ironically, the post above that I posted with the 15 year success got ignored. I wonder why? 🤔

This forum went from chirping our scouts and saying Victor is the reason we have no good prospects to praising our prospects and the drafts we've had OFF OF 2 TRAINING CAMP GAMES AND A RED AND WHITE GAME. Think about that for a second LOL.

victor is one of the main reasons you had good prospects. rinknet does an analtyic report on drafting and gives scores based on things like drafted players points, impact, etc.

the soo was the best when victor was running the draft, lets just say they are not there anymore.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

so you admit these aren't good years? lol

like i said in our private convos, i can deal with "bad" seasons if i'm given a reason to feel hope or optimism. trouble is, every time i begin to feel optimistic about the future the organization's actions in the present make it seem like we care more about getting a round or two of playoff revenue than we care about winning a championship.

with regards to the past 15 years, that's great! especially the dubas window where we had 2 seasons we were legit contenders (2015 and 2018)... that's the feeling i miss... feeling like we were either in a contending season, or building towards one. i haven't felt that way in 5 years.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I believe to avoid the painful 3-5 year cycle of a full rebuild after an all-in year, you need to draft at least 2 impact players every year. At least. From my perspective, we didn't do that with the '03s or '05s. '06s are promising and '07s (although way too early) also gives me reason for optimism.

Dubas, by comparison, was drafting 3, 4, 5 impact players each draft.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I believe to avoid the painful 3-5 year cycle of a full rebuild after an all-in year, you need to draft at least 2 impact players every year. At least. From my perspective, we didn't do that with the '03s or '05s. '06s are promising and '07s (although way too early) also gives me reason for optimism.

1 or 2 impact players and 3 or 4 guy who can contribute should be the goal for every ohl team. barker is impact, im not sure if any of the other drafted forwards are. gibson is

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

1 of those drafts Raftis did blind and we ended up with Cloutier. I don't think it's fair to say he isn't an impact player until we see what he offers this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad