SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I do not think it is a good strategy to have five 19-year old defencemen on this year's edition.

Raftis must make a move and we also might could use a roster spot for a 3rd

So..this is just a spitball but could we upgrade carlisle? Find another OA dman to replace him, it doesn't make our blueline " older " but it could make stronger.

Myself I like a guy like Connor Lockhart or Marko Sikic.

Is Charlie Schenkel capable or should Raftis be looking at a little help from his hometown Petes...... ( won't take credit for this, this is an idea someone else put into my head)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Approx depth chart for defense:

Kudryavtsev (04)
Gibson (05)
Karki (04)
Carlisle (04)
Virgilio (06)

Toms (04)
Van De Ven (04)
Evans (06)
McConnell-Barker (06)

If the goal is to contend this year, then we need 5 D that are capable of playing top 4 minutes. Do we have that? Certainly Kudryavtsev and Gibson are our top 2, that is clear. Karki will be given every opportunity to prove he deserves top 4 minutes. After that, we are relying on a little bit of growth to round out the top 5. Carlisle had some minutes last year in the top 4; he is probably the next closest to having the all around game to play there. Virgilio has certainly shown flashes, but he was pretty sheltered last season and is still quite young. There is also an outside chance that Toms or Van De Ven have taken a big enough step to play top 4.

I think it's too early to tell, and Raftis does not need to be in any rush to answer this question on the defense.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Screenshot_20230919_141837_X.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_141937_X.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_141946_X.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_142039_X.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_142048_X.jpg

Reactions: OHLfan200

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Approx depth chart for forwards:

McConnell-Barker (04)
D'Intino (03)
Allard (04)
Sirizzotti (03)

Cloutier (05)
Mignosa (05)
Fantino (04)
Montroy (05)
Clattenburg (05)

Brown (06)
Kostov (06)
Martin (07)
Hayes (07)
Vader (06)
Good (06)

A bigger question is the forwards. We need at least 7 capable of playing on the top 2 scoring lines. I am not sure we have that as it stands. Our top 4 have all proven to be able to play at that level, but after that it's a lot of question marks. We need 3 of our next 5 forwards to take a big step up. I think more likely is we need to bring in another top 6 forward. I think it makes sense to use our OA spot on that acquisition, probably C/LW

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
So..this is just a spitball but could we upgrade carlisle? Find another OA dman to replace him, it doesn't make our blueline " older " but it could make stronger.

Is Charlie Schenkel capable or should Raftis be looking at a little help from his hometown Petes...... ( won't take credit for this, this is an idea someone else put into my head)
I doubt the Petes are looking to trade Connor Lockhart at this point. I expect he will be one of the Petes three overage players. If he is traded it likely will be at the deadline.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I doubt the Petes are looking to trade Connor Lockhart at this point. I expect he will be one of the Petes three overage players. If he is traded it likely will be at the deadline.
How are the Petes looking to recoup picks? Their cupboard is the emptiest of all the teams right now it looks like.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I was thinking Zito, Ertel, or Lawrence.

what about sarnia?
The database shows Sarnia with 3x2nds, 2x3rds, 3x4ths, 0x5ths, 1x6ths over the next 4 years.
The database shows Peterboro with 1x2nds, 1x3rds, 1x4ths, 4x5ths, 3x6ths over the same period.

Do you see something different?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
How are the Petes looking to recoup picks? Their cupboard is the emptiest of all the teams right now it looks like.
They will likely trade overages Michael Simpson and Sam Mayer. They should be able to get at minimum a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick plus a 4th for Mayer and 2nd and a 3rd round draft picks for Simpson. They also will likely be trading Owen Beck which allow them to acquire a good 16 or 17 year old player plus at minimum two, 2nd and one, 3rd round draft picks for him. With these trades the Petes could acquire three or four, 2nd round draft picks, two or three, 3rd round draft picks and a 4th round draft picks. This would rebuild their draft pick cupboard. The Petes will likely keep Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois and Cam Gauvreau as their overages. Lockhart would only be traded if a team makes an offer that is too good to pass up.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

Kudryavtsev (04)
Gibson (05)
Karki (04)
Carlisle (04)
Virgilio (06)

Toms (04)
Van De Ven (04)
Evans (06)
McConnell-Barker (06)

If the goal is to contend this year, then we need 5 D that are capable of playing top 4 minutes. Do we have that? Certainly Kudryavtsev and Gibson are our top 2, that is clear. Karki will be given every opportunity to prove he deserves top 4 minutes. After that, we are relying on a little bit of growth to round out the top 5. Carlisle had some minutes last year in the top 4; he is probably the next closest to having the all around game to play there. Virgilio has certainly shown flashes, but he was pretty sheltered last season and is still quite young. There is also an outside chance that Toms or Van De Ven have taken a big enough step to play top 4.

I think it's too early to tell, and Raftis does not need to be in any rush to answer this question on the defense.
The more I look at the depth charts, the more I'm convinced we don't go for it. The strength is in the 05-07 group. Sure kud and bmb are strong but there's only the two of them. I'd feel better about selling or at least waiting and going all in next year or the year after. Just my opinion

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

The database shows Sarnia with 3x2nds, 2x3rds, 3x4ths, 0x5ths, 1x6ths over the next 4 years.
The database shows Peterboro with 1x2nds, 1x3rds, 1x4ths, 4x5ths, 3x6ths over the same period.

i have sarnia with one 2nd in in 2027, but they will get the 2nd in 2025 back i would think, moldenhouer condition.

i have them with 1 third in 2027, but again, they probably will get the 2024 back from the moldenhouer trade

4th in 2024 is conditional with barrie due to the ryan price trade but i would be surprised if that was fulfilled. 4th in 2025 is conditional with ottawa but i assume agian, that gets returned. 2027 they own.

They will likely trade overages Michael Simpson and Sam Mayer. They should be able to get at minimum a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick plus a 4th for Mayer and 2nd and a 3rd round draft picks for Simpson. They also will likely be trading Owen Beck which allow them to acquire a good 16 or 17 year old player plus at minimum two, 2nd and one, 3rd round draft picks for him. With these trades the Petes could acquire three or four, 2nd round draft picks, two or three, 3rd round draft picks and a 4th round draft picks. This would rebuild their draft pick cupboard. The Petes will likely keep Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois and Cam Gauvreau as their overages. Lockhart would only be traded if a team makes an offer that is too good to pass up.
they will not get a 2nd and 3rd for simpson, overage goalies are not worth that historically. mayer perhaps a 2nd plus another pick.

i think petes can trade more guys to fill the draft board back up, ie mayer, simpson, beck and smith, maybe mccoy as well as lockhart. sarnia doesnt have that luxury, so i guess i see them as in a much worse place.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

A massive upgrade in net is Simpson.

My dream addition is Beck lol but ya...i doubt it haha 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

Doubt it as well, just the type of player I'm hoping we see added as an OA!

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017

Kudryavtsev (04)
Gibson (05)
Karki (04)
Carlisle (04)
Virgilio (06)

Toms (04)
Van De Ven (04)
Evans (06)
McConnell-Barker (06)

I like Carlisle's look as an OA defenceman for next year. I would run with the 3 06's for now, see where that takes us.

I also wouldn't mind an OA scoring forward this year. We could see if NB has interest in Van de Ven or Toms + change in exchange for Ertel.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Doubt it as well, just the type of player I'm hoping we see added as an OA!
In
i have sarnia with one 2nd in in 2027, but they will get the 2nd in 2025 back i would think, moldenhouer condition.

i have them with 1 third in 2027, but again, they probably will get the 2024 back from the moldenhouer trade

4th in 2024 is conditional with barrie due to the ryan price trade but i would be surprised if that was fulfilled. 4th in 2025 is conditional with ottawa but i assume agian, that gets returned. 2027 they own.

they will not get a 2nd and 3rd for simpson, overage goalies are not worth that historically. mayer perhaps a 2nd plus another pick.

i think petes can trade more guys to fill the draft board back up, ie mayer, simpson, beck and smith, maybe mccoy as well as lockhart. sarnia doesnt have that luxury, so i guess i see them as in a much worse place.
The Petes have all their picks in 2027. They also have a 3rd in 2025. They need to acquire three, 2nds, two, 3rds and three, 4ths to totally rebuild their top four picks in 2024, 2025 and 2026. They will be able to recoup most of those draft picks by trading Simpson, Mayer and Beck. They may trade Lockhart at the deadline. If they trade Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith it be at the deadline and would be for players and a few draft picks for each player. They may trade Smith but I doubt they will trade McCoy. They will also want a good young player for Beck. The Petes are looking to make the playoffs so they will not be going into a total rebuild. They will likely be looking to do similar to what Hamilton did last year.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What about Marko Sikic?
@StingUpdates what's the word on Sikic?

Matthew Sop?
Olivier Peer?
Matters what your looking for in an OA. Sikic is a tremendous 2way guy. Great skater. Strong down low, great defensively & a solid passer. But if u need goals or big points he's likely not your guy.

My guess is he gets 15G ~ 35A for us. Maybe a bit higher on a team with more talent. Peer is good. He can fly. More of a scorer than Sikic. Not as reliable in his own end but definitely will put up points. Sop sorta like Sikic I think.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If I were a fan of u guys & wanted an OA F that scores I'd be hoping for one of

Peer (WSR), Christopolous (WSR), Martin (KIT), Frasca (BAR), Zito (NB), Rolofs (OSH), Beck (OTT), Lockhart (PBO).

All should be PPG guys this year. Think each team would be willing to move them outside maybe Zito (not sure what NB is)

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I think we need 70 pts from any OA forward we acquire

Yes this is why I think Ertel isn't the right choice..not taking away from his talents at all.

I was just looking at lunch and he wasn't in there. Maybe just a call up for next exhibition game?

I've not been able to check other NHL main camp rosters if they are out. Maybe someone not sent back?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe Kudryavtsev, Karki, Gibson. Could be an injury too forcing a call up?

Edit: actually Karki left off VGK main roster

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes this is why I think Ertel isn't the right choice..not taking away from his talents at all.
Ertel is probably ppg as an OA, something like 25g and 45a with a full season and health for the most part. He was at that pace last season before breaking a finger.
I've not been able to check other NHL main camp rosters if they are out. Maybe someone not sent back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad