Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

At the 41:10 mark Paul Bissonnette reports the Leafs are aggressively trying to extend Marner and not focused on trading him.

That was two days ago. Why would they suddenly aggressively be trying to do anything with him? They aren't on a clock even if they desperately want him back. He doesn't become tradeable until that bonus is paid. Just rumors floating around that they are circulating. "I am hearing rumblings" is probably just from all the repeats of the Dreger speculation as though it has any basis beyond his own speculation.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can't see him taking less than Nylander. Maybe they think Tavares coming off the books is enough flexibility.

~$39M to go defense-hunting is a pretty good amount.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
This would have to mean JT or Rielly goes.

Can someone smarter than I tell me how much in real dollars we still owe JT?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This would have to mean JT or Rielly goes.

Can someone smarter than I tell me how much in real dollars we still owe JT?

More likely they just wait a season for JT to expire than do anything crazy IMO

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Trade JT to UHC and they buy him out….cap hit 10m and real money a couple hundred k.
Keep Marner and pay him more than Matthews.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A bit surprising considering all the hate directed at him

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know this will be unpopular, but I'd sign Marner too if I was the Leafs. You can't get him to waive his NTC. Are you going to let him walk or sign him to at 11M ish contract? I'd sign him. See if you can convince Tavares to waive and trade him to Calgary or San Jose.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd argue that extending Marner would be much less of a bad idea if it came with a corresponding Tavares move. But Tavares has a full NMC and probably wouldn't waive for anyone.

It shouldn't be that expensive to trade him since he'd be owed like $700k after July 1st, but I just don't think Tavares would allow a trade anywhere.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd argue that extending Marner would be much less of a bad idea if it came with a corresponding Tavares move. But Tavares has a full NMC and probably wouldn't waive for anyone.

It shouldn't be that expensive to trade him since he'd be owed like $700k after July 1st, but I just don't think Tavares would allow a trade anywhere.
You're extending Marner for 8 years (likely). Tavares isn't an issue in any of them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're extending Marner for 8 years (likely). Tavares isn't an issue in any of them.

No, I mean they need to make changes and just running it back with no notable changes isn't an acceptable outcome.

Not only that, but I'm not sure I believe that the Leafs wouldn't extend Tavares after this deal either.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think MM has been unfairly made the escape goat for the playoff problems. But if they do keep him? Grab the popcorn and head to the leafs board

gX0iRS4.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Honestly the ideal move would be to keep Marner but move on from Tavares

Although that might mean waiting a year to see real change. Fans hate that but if you are planning out the fate of your whole franchise maybe delaying the inevitable and bringing on one year of fan hate is worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad