Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sure the points look good so let's look at those performances. 14 points in 11 games. 10 points in the first four games and 4 in the next 7. Previous year was 8 points in 7 games. 5 points in the first 2 games and 3 in the next 5 games . Putting up points early in a series and then fading away doesn't make him a great playoff performer, especially when the team has gotten out of the first round once in eight trips to the playoffs
I forgot Marner was THE team :sarcasm:.. thanks for doubling down for me. You basically just told me Marner performs but the rest of the team doesn't but yes lets all blame Marner.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
On paper, an extension may be more attractive to sides interested in trading for him, especially if the Leafs are looking for a better return. But can't say I understand the Leafs management very well, so ... 🤷‍♂️
if they give him a raise i have my doubts.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
On paper, an extension may be more attractive to sides interested in trading for him, especially if the Leafs are looking for a better return. But can't say I understand the Leafs management very well, so ... 🤷‍♂️
True on paper. Of course in reality Toronto will probably give him an 8x$15M and a full NMC.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
To be fair, a Marner extension is better than a bad Marner trade where the Leafs wind up with egg on their face. This may be an admission that they - the Leafs' brainstrust - cannot make a trade which makes sense, given the limits of finding a team which will make a reasonable trade - and which is a team Marner will agree to go to.
So you confident with the big 3 making $37m going forward?
This would have to mean JT or Rielly goes.

Can someone smarter than I tell me how much in real dollars we still owe JT?
JT has NMC with 3 young kids. Can't trade him next year. And moving Rielly just creates another hole.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So if this is true, Treliving would have extended Matthews, Nylander, and Marner.

I imagine when Treliving was interviewed for the job there was only one question asked:
Are you okay with your sole mandate being to give the stars everything they want?

Apparently he was.

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
People taking that clown as a reputable source

It's not the source that makes this story plausible, it's the fact that extending Marner would be the most typical Leafs thing to do.

... And most likely with a front-loaded, massive bonus-structured, bullet-proof NMC for the life of the deal for 8 years (would be 10 if they could), and $12M+ per.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Boston will be 7-0 by the time this shitstains new contract is up

Boston will be
Leafs gunna Leaf smh. Keep running it back, surely the 9th time will be different
Id rather see the leafs lose their team for a decade and then get an expansion

Then see the core 4 brought for next 4-8 years (tavares bitch ass will get signed too for sure if were bringing back marner)

Holy f*** treliving your a bitch. Shanahan is the worst executive in the league

Can't see him taking less than Nylander. Maybe they think Tavares coming off the books is enough flexibility.

~$39M to go defense-hunting is a pretty good amount.
Tavares is off the books next year hes signed this year still

Tavares will get 3 years 5M with this management group when hes should get booted out of town

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Most Leaf fans want the salary cap structure to change. Tavares deal expiring and the cap actually rising will help that

Won't be with the Leafs then, and he has no interest in leaving. Leafs have the leverage with Tavares. He doesn't want to move for his family. We will offer what we offer.
So he will make less than Blake Coleman and Goodrow. Got it. While every other numpty gets a raise for winning no rounds.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The sad thing is “if” they do it again (I kinda think Marner wants out). This will be actually be like what 2020 was supposed to be.

Sign your core. Then the cap goes up and build around it.

I still think Marner 8/93 for an 11.625 cap is probably best.

He takes a slight discount. More than Willy. His stupid junior number and then he plays with the core and if they need to rebuild if Matthews walks.

He probably has the points record and paid out most of his contract.

If that’s the way it goes. I think that’s probably best.

But no one wants to hear it now.
I think he wants out though

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Marner has been a much better player than Nylander . He deserves a touch more (especially with Cap going up). Looks like Tavares is left without a chair when the music stops !

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So he will make less than Blake Coleman and Goodrow. Got it. While every other numpty gets a raise for winning no rounds.

Tavares will be 35 when his new contract kicks in, has no interest in leaving the leafs because his family is in Toronto... Yeah he will be cheaper than guys who signed in their late 20's / early 30's to whoever would pay the most

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad