Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
If he leaves Toronto he will be one of the league favourite players for sure. Any sniper in the league would be begging their GM to sign him if he hits free agency. One bad playoffs and he’s the most “overrated” player in the league. If he leaves Toronto he’s going to go win a cup somewhere else like Kessel and everyone will love him

Reactions: Seanaconda

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Man, I love this iteration of the Leafs. It's truly the best! They play dazzling, highlight reel hockey for 82 games a year, and then they only play seven games in early May when I'm already bored of hockey anyways. There's so much more time for activities during the summer when it's warm outside!

Surely this deal will mean eight more years of productive summers, I don't know how you suckers manage to have lives watching the third and fourth round of the playoffs. I watched the Leafs in the third round once or twice when I was a kid and it was terrible. So much stress! I hope we sign Mitch to big money and long term, because that will keep these Leafs that I love! Go Leafs Go, but not too hard, I'd hate to see one of them hurt themselves.
Hard to argue with this

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I can see management thinking that they now have a new coach and want to see everybody under Berube.

Then Tavares falls off of the books and they can shore up other areas after.

I do feel bad for Marner. I would want out. Matthews and Co also don't elevate their games in the playoffs, yet Mitch takes like 90%+ of the abuse over the playoff failures lol

Matthews has it so good there.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yhey need to trade him or nylander and use the money elsewhere
They just signed Nylander to an 8 year extension. Marner is the one who will be leaving.

If he leaves Toronto he will be one of the league favourite players for sure. Any sniper in the league would be begging their GM to sign him if he hits free agency. One bad playoffs and he’s the most “overrated” player in the league. If he leaves Toronto he’s going to go win a cup somewhere else like Kessel and everyone will love him
He's been pretty good at picking up points playing with the best goal scorer in the league, during the regular season. When he's not on a line with Matthews his production drops. During the playoffs (and it's been several years, not one) it drops even more, and virtually disappears by game 5.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
giphy.webp

Jesus!!!

Reactions: BTO

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So exactly what they need to do
They will sign some guys and the depth will be added next year when JT is up. People can talk about trading one of the core pieces but I'll believe it when I see it. After all these years I don't trust they will pull the trigger

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chiclets said in the spring, that they make stuff up as well, so wouldn’t believe much in what they say.
But, I’ll play, c’mon leafs give 14 x8 and all NMC.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

At the 41:10 mark Paul Bissonnette reports the Leafs are aggressively trying to extend Marner and not focused on trading him.

Marner will likely be offered the exact same contract as Nylander within 1% up/down but more than likely over.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Yhey need to trade him or nylander and use the money elsewhere
they have enough $$ to rebuild the defense which is the top priority, and next year, and extra 11 mil with JT off the books and only a #2C slot to fill to replace JT (who will likely re-sign much cheaper)

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Just becaue they extend him doesn't mean they won't all agree on a trade. The receiving team probably prefers to know that they won't lose him to FA and what kind of numbers they are looking at. Acquiring teams knows Ferris has them over a barrel if they make a big trade for him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don’t see Marner signing a contract without a NTC so I don’t see a sign and trade as some are suggesting as a possibility

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t see Marner signing a contract without a NTC so I don’t see a sign and trade as some are suggesting as a possibility
Of course it would be done with Marner's say so. I get that the Leafs and the Leaf fans would want it that way so that the trade doesn't have to be a rental at a reduced return

It is difficult though, because it requires everyone to be in agreement on every element of it, and usually the team orchestrating it (the Leafs in this case) make it a rule that the other teams cannot talk to the player directly.

So it is unlikely, unless there are teams that want Marner so bad that they will jump through hoops and give up more assets to guarantee getting him, rather than just wait for his UFA status

And really, this report stating that they want to extend Marner could really just be the Leafs putting pressure on these other teams that they will have to trade for him if they want any hope of getting him.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Wow, finally a sensible post. Most fans are fed up (which is reasonable) but are too emotional. Last time Leafs acted on emotion we traded Kadri and it was a huge regret. People that think players can’t get better are operating with a very fixed mindset.
Why would you parrot the "acting on emotion" with Kadri? He was traded well after his 2nd playoff meltdown. It was just a bad trade even if COL retained $, it wasn't some Patrick Roy meltdown deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad