Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If he leaves Toronto he will be one of the league favourite players for sure. Any sniper in the league would be begging their GM to sign him if he hits free agency. One bad playoffs and he’s the most “overrated” player in the league. If he leaves Toronto he’s going to go win a cup somewhere else like Kessel and everyone will love him
Or he's the next Huberdeau. Take him out of a loaded offense and he's useless. While the Leafs are better off without his inflated cap hit

Reactions: HockeyVirus

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Say Marner resigns for $11.5M a year, the same as Nylander.

Matthews $13.25M
Nylander $11.5M
Marner $11.5M

$36.25M, more than 1/3 of the teams cap on 3 forwards and this is after Tavares walks next summer. :huh:

Brad loves the Core 4, he said when he arrived in Toronto that he wants to keep them together. Don't be surprised if he offers Tavares $6M a year as an extension.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Not a serious team. Joke organization where every move involving the core is influenced by fear. Not sure how many years of playoff failures they need to realize this core group doesn't work, and isn't gonna work.

If they extend Marner I'll be watching another teams games for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Mitch Marner reportedly does not want to be traded by Maple Leafs, would prefer to become UFA next summer​

"If Marner does refuse to move in a trade, Toronto would likely want to try to extend him rather than lose him for nothing in free agency. The talented forward was spotted having a meeting over coffee with new head coach Craig Berube just over a week ago."

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im not too surprised if they extend Marner. I said a few weeks ago I wouldnt be surprised to see them extend Marner long term.
Leafs dont really care about winning, they all get their money no matter how bad things get. even if they extend Marner and lose alot of fans in the process. they dont care. their season tickets have 20+ year waiting lists. MLSE is about the money first winning second.
MLSE has always stepped in and really controlled everything. your the GM but you cant trade so and so.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

Mitch Marner reportedly does not want to be traded by Maple Leafs, would prefer to become UFA next summer​

"If Marner does refuse to move in a trade, Toronto would likely want to try to extend him rather than lose him for nothing in free agency. The talented forward was spotted having a meeting over coffee with new head coach Craig Berube just over a week ago."

lol that's fine, I wish him luck this year and beyond. because its going to be a miserable year with him living in the city with this fanbase.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. '

Doesn't mean theybwoll do the same thing.

Watch last team who won the cup, they all have something in commun. They all got D able to be involve in the offrnsive game AND able to defend. When was the last time leafs had it? 2004...

Leafs change coach and having money to spend in D this off-Season to fix it. Keep marner doesn't mean you can't do different thing.

Reactions: Roo

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
""If Marner does refuse to move in a trade, Toronto would likely want to try to extend him rather than lose him for nothing in free agency."

So if the Leafs haven't given any indication they're willing to extend him right now, all Marner had to do was bluff (or be serious) that he'll walk next year and presto, "here's your extension!"

No. Whomever is pulling the strings at MLSE isn't that stupid. Stupid, maybe, but not that stupid.

And worse, if that theory holds true - sign a player primarily to avoid losing him for nothing - then they've backed themselves into a corner negotiation-wise because Marner can/will just ask for a Nylander++ dream deal and get it. Because ... they'd rather over-pay him then let him walk.

Whether any of this is true or not, as many have pointed out, this situation is very likely going to get messy one way or another. So I guess MLSE figures, maybe just to avoid the mess, extend him now and drama over?

If so, we'd better get used to a lot more first-round exits until the core is completely gone and there's new ownership. At least until then.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Trading him isn't as easy as some think it is. Teams are going to lowball the crap out of them due to recent events and honestly, you're probably going to lose that trade 9/10 times if you're the Leafs. He has his faults but hes still a helluva player.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Rielly. The new Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz but much more glame and expensive.

Who's the RNH that outlasts them all?
Is this a joke? The first five are much better than any of the 5 oilers. Not a single one I would take over any of them

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
It worked for Edmonton this year no?
I would say no. But also yes?

Coach carousel worked, but the players finally started playing the style that wins games.

Playing run and gun with 0 defensive structure would mean the Oilers would have been beat by Dallas or Vancouver already

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Teams and other fans around the league are desperately hoping this happens so that Leafs continue to waste AM34's prime years and TO remain a non factor in the playoffs

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

you're posting an article from three weeks ago talking about something that happened a month ago when the Marner story gets seemingly daily updates, not very relevant tbh

Reactions: Dog

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
So wtf was the point of firing Dubas and hiring Treliving? All this guy has done is extend the group….I thought the point of hiring this guy was that the Leafs wanted change
They didn’t really “fire” Dubas. Dubas wanted to be able to make moves he felt could help the team. Shanahan (who controlled and controls every move) wouldn’t allow it.

There are a lot of Leaf fans who blame Dubas for things that were not in his control.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Trading him isn't as easy as some think it is. Teams are going to lowball the crap out of them due to recent events and honestly, you're probably going to lose that trade 9/10 times if you're the Leafs. He has his faults but hes still a helluva player.

Which is why I think this rumor might have some legitimacy- try signing him now when his value is low. Marner at >$10 mil would be excellent, tell him he’ll be like Marchand or some shit, team friendly deal. Make it short term if he wants to re-evaluate in a few years. I’m just not paying this dude market value when he can’t perform in playoffs, so if he wants to stay in Toronto that kinda works for everyone. Otherwise I’m trading him at the deadline with a “kick me” post-it on his back.

They didn’t really “fire” Dubas. Dubas wanted to be able to make moves he felt could help the team. Shanahan (who controlled and controls every move) wouldn’t allow it.

There are a lot of Leaf fans who blame Dubas for things that were not in his control.

Wasn’t one of the moves to trade Marner? Or was that Knies? Nvm, Knies, but the idea that he was restricted that heavily at all kinda speaks to org issues.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
God no. Unless he's willing to take a MASSIVE discount. I've been as big a fan as any since he came to Toronto but enough is enough. Change has to happen and it starts with the guy who has never shown any willingness to step up in the playoffs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can't be no trade return on Marner for Leafs to turn like that

Or…..
Tre is putting pressure on now so he has an answer and can say he tried.
This is our offer. Take it or give us a list.

Seems odd they would be aggressively pursuing an extension 1 week before UFA for a player 12 months out if they just want to sign him.

Can't be no trade return on Marner for Leafs to turn like that

Or…..
maybe here and there, I dont spend alot of time in there

You sure? I feel like I see this avatar a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad