Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Edmonton's current run is proof that you don't need a World beating goalie to go far

Toronto simply need a "good" goalie, a solid defensive system and players that won't choke during the playoffs

Matthews and Nylander are fine, but Bitch Marner and Tavares are as soft as toilet paper, you can't have 25% of your budget allowed to absolute ASS playoffs performers
Kiddie Marner we need a man not mighty mouse lol.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The can also sign him as this rumour is suggesting.
Exactly. It’s either sign MM or he leaves as a UFA. I think their signing him depends on the AAV. If it’s over 12 per do they just let him walk?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly. It’s either sign MM or he leaves as a UFA. I think their signing him depends on the AAV. If it’s over 12 per do they just let him walk?
Maybe, they could trade him. He would have to waive his NMC.

Reactions: Dog

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Extending him is preferable to a shit trade.

Leafs can still try to dump Tavares as he has less term. Moving Tavares and someone like Kampf would free up over $13 million in cap space. If used on a goaltending upgrade and defense, the Leafs may be ok.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They should have had the brainpower to realize that they had to pick between Willy and Mitch. If they do this, they will never win shit. It’s insane to destroy your teams chances of winning and keep doubling down 7-8 times (and counting). Absolutely insane unless it’s a sign and trade or Mitch wants to play for 7-8m.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Extending him is preferable to a shit trade.

Leafs can still try to dump Tavares as he has less term. Moving Tavares and someone like Kampf would free up over $13 million in cap space. If used on a goaltending upgrade and defense, the Leafs may be ok.
Tavares isn’t going anywhere and his money comes off the books only to be replaced with Nylander’s 11.5

They have the same cap structure as before going ahead if they resign Mitch but worse because they have no 2C this time. It would be insane to continue.

A Vézina winner was traded for cap space. Cap space is an extremely valuable commodity and when they signed Nylander to that deal, to anyone with a brain that was a sign they picked their guy. If they try to have both, they will never win.

The trade value will be bad on Marner because of the NMC clause Dubas made him sign. They’d be better off even if they let him walk than they would be signing him to a 13.5m deal. They’d have that space plus Tavares’ to actually do it right and attempt to fix their broken cap structure. They could make an aggressive push to get a top pair RD like Montour/Pesce, a goalie and fill the lineup with valuable depth pieces….. or they could have a proven loser

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Marner was never the problem in Leaf Land.
I might be in the minority, but I agree. The problem was always with the Tavares contract. Too much cap in centers. He's coming off the books next year. If the Leafs can allocate that cap to defence, they could have a good team. Trading away the top end talent is got thing to bring the Leafs success.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

At the 41:10 mark Paul Bissonnette reports the Leafs are aggressively trying to extend Marner and not focused on trading him.

no substance to this .itd be all over the place ,with 31 others gms blurting it out to their pidgeons
jay rosehill is better than bissonette anyways

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Tavares isn’t going anywhere and his money comes off the books only to be replaced with Nylander’s 11.5

They have the same cap structure as before going ahead if they resign Mitch but worse because they have no 2C this time. It would be insane to continue.

A Vézina winner was traded for cap space. Cap space is an extremely valuable commodity and when they signed Nylander to that deal, to anyone with a brain that was a sign they picked their guy. If they try to have both, they will never win.

The trade value will be bad on Marner because of the NMC clause Dubas made him sign. They’d be better off even if they let him walk than they would be signing him to a 13.5m deal. They’d have that space plus Tavares’ to actually do it right and attempt to fix their broken cap structure. They could make an aggressive push to get a top pair RD like Montour/Pesce, a goalie and fill the lineup with valuable depth pieces….. or they could have a proven loser
Trading Tavares frees up $11 million in cap space. Hypothetically leafs could sigb Lindholm for $7.5-8 million and put the rest towards defence and/or goalie. I think that improves the team. Tavares is still a 60 point center with just 1 year on his contract. I dont think it would be that hard to move him if Brad was motivated.

Imo it would have more impact than Marner. Moving Tavares allows the leafs to change the captain.

Reactions: Roo

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
When did he say that?

Friedman reported it weeks ago that Marner has no interest in a trade and would simply play out the final year of his deal.

I don’t know if Mitch has said anything personally, I can’t imagine he would. That’s what agents are for.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
What championship calibre goaltender have the Leafs employed since 2016?

Because here are the goalies who’ve beaten them:

Braden Holtby - championship winning goaltender.

Tuukka Rask x2 - two finals as a starter, one ring as Thomas’s backup, better career numbers than Price and Quick.

Korpisalo/Merzlevkis - fair enough, shouldn’t have lost to them.

Carey Price - arguably the best goalie of his generation.

Andrei Vasilevskiy - 2x champion, and the actual best goalie of his generation.

Sergei Bobrovsky - 2x Vezina winner, top-5 goalie of his generation.

Linus Ullmark/Jeremy Swayman - reigning Vezina trophy winner + the guy who took the reigning Vezina winner’s job.

And y’all wanna hold Mitch Marner accountable for Freddie Andersen being the best goalie Toronto has employed his entire career.

Spend some assets on a legitimate tendy, for Christ.
10000%

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Trading Tavares frees up $11 million in cap space. Hypothetically leafs could sigb Lindholm for $7.5-8 million and put the rest towards defence and/or goalie. I think that improves the team. Tavares is still a 60 point center with just 1 year on his contract. I dont think it would be that hard to move him if Brad was motivated.

Imo it would have more impact than Marner. Moving Tavares allows the leafs to change the captain.
Tavares has 1 year left and a NMC clause. He’s not waiving, forget about it. Even if he did, then they don’t have a 2C. This is real life, not nhl 24. A Marner extension will curse this team and prolong their issues.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Tavares has 1 year left and a NMC clause. He’s not waiving, forget about it. Even if he did, then they don’t have a 2C. This is real life, not nhl 24. A Marner extension will curse this team and prolong their issues.
Why can ever other team get players with NMC to waive them except the Leafs? Pretty sure if you trade Tavares it would cost less than $11 million for a 2nd line center.

He was 1 year left. Assuming they dont resign Tavares he is going to a new team. Might as well work with him to get an extension plus his new team now.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Not to mention this cat appears to think some team would just eat the whole Tavares contract and free up 11 million.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Friedman reported it weeks ago that Marner has no interest in a trade and would simply play out the final year of his deal.

I don’t know if Mitch has said anything personally, I can’t imagine he would. That’s what agents are for.

that’s not what he said?
He said both sides wanted to look good, and it was delicate. He said that Ferris advises his players to go to ufa.

He has about Marner literally Friday.
It’s never “Marner isn’t accepting a trade”

It’s interesting.
Mirtle.
Adam Wylde (yes I know but he is the boss of Allan Walsh and CJ)
And seravalli all are saying his going

Dregs/lebrun/friedman more unsure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad