Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It’s not completely unsmart to cater to those people since they’re the only people giving you money over the next 3-5 years. They’ve done nothing to address the future of their fanbase apart from player decisions. None of them care about ‘tradition’ because there’s been a whole generation they’ve been unable to indoctrinate to their ways given how the city reacted to the Process and embraced, like, 4th tier soccer at best.

Yep. My guess is that they’ll try to ratchet this up as the talent level rises. They clearly don’t have the stomach for stripping it to the studs, so there’s no on-ramp for newer fans. As you said, they’re going to need the hardcore to keep buying tickets for now. It makes sense to cater to that group in ways that don’t affect hockey ops.

TLDR; I think the business side is capable enough to know they don’t have anything to sell to non-hardcores yet.

I don't even know that's why this is confusing and stupid. People are saying they It's the same thing when someone tweets something about a possible trade and then it doesn't happen and people react like they are just making stuff up (unless of course it's a rumor or writer they like, at which point it's fine) or if they do tweet a rumor and it comes true then the guy is just lucky.

Somewhere in what you’re saying there’s a reasonable point. Beats are doing a job. Many of these particular beats have a pattern of strenuously arguing that these things make tangible differences, which is what makes me personally laugh in this case. I think most people here at least are laughing at the idea that it’s meaningful, not that it’s being discussed. I do not think any of them are paid shills. I do think they have incentives to be positive, but I do not hold that against them.

The problem, as usual, is that we have to do what was quoted above.

“You people are so dishonest that you don’t believe Twitter randos about generic trade rumors, but do believe the President of the PHWA who went on the record with a specific offer.”

Gee, I wonder why you get pushback.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't even know that's why this is confusing and stupid. People are saying they are "bought and paid for" and somehow tweeting in the off-season about a new center ice logo is some sign that they are not good at their jobs or not credible or whatever I'm not even sure. A completely innocuous tweet and people are posting about it on here like these guys did something that proves some kind of point about the organization being bad or the writers being bad I'm not even sure.

It's the same thing when someone tweets something about a possible trade and then it doesn't happen and people react like they are just making stuff up (unless of course it's a rumor or writer they like, at which point it's fine) or if they do tweet a rumor and it comes true then the guy is just lucky. Not everything that happens related to this team requires whining and complaining, nor do they require praise and celebration. They're getting a new center ice logo. Some people are excited about it during an off-season with nothing really happening. That's not indicative of some grand scheme of shitty organizations.
If you don't know why then that probably explains why you don't understand it or find it stupid.

batman-begins-carmine-falcone.gif

Look, 90% of my posts about the Flyers are shitposts at this point. Do I actually believe that some of these media members are bought and paid for in a literal sense? No, no I don't but I do believe that ASF and Russ Joy (and Snow The Goalie as a whole) changed their tune 100% once Keith Jones was hired. It's not exactly a mental leap to assume why that was.

Do I find it embarrassing that people wax poetic about the logos and act as if it's some shifting of organizational winds? Yes, I most certainly do. The organization blames the prior regime time and time again for the flaws while ignoring that the main tenants remain. These people are selling to the public that the last guys weren't REAL Flyers and that was the problem. That's exactly the spin that the Flyers front office wants put out there. It's insulting.

Regarding the second part, are we talking about Seravelli here? Because we probably shouldn't compare someone of his ilk to other people on Twitter. There's tiers of these insiders and Frank is near the top in the year 2023. That has nothing to do with liking someone or not.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I don't even know that's why this is confusing and stupid. People are saying they are "bought and paid for" and somehow tweeting in the off-season about a new center ice logo is some sign that they are not good at their jobs or not credible or whatever I'm not even sure. A completely innocuous tweet and people are posting about it on here like these guys did something that proves some kind of point about the organization being bad or the writers being bad I'm not even sure.

It's the same thing when someone tweets something about a possible trade and then it doesn't happen and people react like they are just making stuff up (unless of course it's a rumor or writer they like, at which point it's fine) or if they do tweet a rumor and it comes true then the guy is just lucky. Not everything that happens related to this team requires whining and complaining, nor do they require praise and celebration. They're getting a new center ice logo. Some people are excited about it during an off-season with nothing really happening. That's not indicative of some grand scheme of shitty organizations.
when i get reborn in a few centuries (if i would believe in this theory) i will try your way of living.

Believe in propaganda and see the world through rose coloured glasses! Must be a nice life.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
If you don't know why then that probably explains why you don't understand it or find it stupid.

Look, 90% of my posts about the Flyers are shitposts at this point. Do I actually believe that some of these media members are bought and paid for in a literal sense? No, no I don't but I do believe that ASF and Russ Joy (and Snow The Goalie as a whole) changed their tune 100% once Keith Jones was hired. It's not exactly a mental leap to assume why that was.

Do I find it embarrassing that people wax poetic about the logos and act as if it's some shifting of organizational winds? Yes, I most certainly do. The organization blames the prior regime time and time again for the flaws while ignoring that the main tenants remain. These people are selling to the public that the last guys weren't REAL Flyers and that was the problem. That's exactly the spin that the Flyers front office wants put out there. It's insulting.

Regarding the second part, are we talking about Seravelli here? Because we probably shouldn't compare someone of his ilk to other people on Twitter. There's tiers of these insiders and Frank is near the top in the year 2023. That has nothing to do with liking someone or not.
This. The idea that past regimes were wrong because of things like the center ice logo, and not because their outdated hockey strategy put a horrific product on the ice, is laughable.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
when i get reborn in a few centuries (if i would believe in this theory) i will try your way of living.

Believe in propaganda and see the world through rose coloured glasses! Must be a nice life.

A beat writer tweeting their enthusiasm for a center ice logo change in the off-season is not propaganda. That is a beat writer doing their job. I am neither "believing" what they are saying or saying they are right. It was a fluff tweet that whiny crybabies started crying about, like they do any time anyone from the Flyers or Flyers-adjacent says anything that isn't exactly in step with what they want. You want to complain about our beat writers, fine. I don't give a shit. They suck. But they don't suck because of this and this has nothing to do with the Flyers organization (which I agree also sucks and deserves complaints). This is more of the complaining for the sake of complaining.

Where do you rank complaining about complainers?
Complaining about actual things is fine. We have had plenty to complain about in recent years (decades) but the constant nitpicking every little thing like a tweet from a beat writer about a logo change...come on!

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
A beat writer tweeting their enthusiasm for a center ice logo change in the off-season is not propaganda. That is a beat writer doing their job. I am neither "believing" what they are saying or saying they are right. It was a fluff tweet that whiny crybabies started crying about, like they do any time anyone from the Flyers or Flyers-adjacent says anything that isn't exactly in step with what they want. You want to complain about our beat writers, fine. I don't give a shit. They suck. But they don't suck because of this and this has nothing to do with the Flyers organization (which I agree also sucks and deserves complaints). This is more of the complaining for the sake of complaining.

Complaining about actual things is fine. We have had plenty to complain about in recent years (decades) but the constant nitpicking every little thing like a tweet from a beat writer about a logo change...come on!
youre not even understanding what iam saying. Maybe its my bad english knowledge. But lets stop here

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

To be fair, while you or I may not care about the "REAL" Flyers thing, a lot of people obviously do. Now I think we can both agree whether that is a good or a bad thing, but again, these guys are beat writers, this is their job. You and I may not be their target audience and you or I may not give a shit about the logos (I actually like it, but it doesn't make a difference to me one way or another, just reminds me of NHL94 haha) but there are clearly people that do. Especially in the offseason, and especially during a period where this team will be garbage for years to come and everyone knows it, there is going to be a ton of this stuff because that's how it works. No one is interested in the actual on-ice product because it is going to suck. So what can the team/beat writers do? Hype up fan friendly stuff. That's how it works and how it will always work. I'd be upset if they were doing NOTHING to service the fans and just saying "hey we're going to suck for a few years and we will not put any effort into keeping you happy or entertained in other ways."

Now, if Briere signs some Joe f***face to a huge contract and trades Michkov for shit and the beat writers come out and say how great of a move it was or "OLD TIME HOCKEY!" then ok, yeah I'm with you. If tomorrow they announce that Gritty is going to be between the glass with Coatsey this year during broadcasts doing slapstick comedy and the beats talk about how much fun that will be...who gives a shit? Yeah it may be dumb but it is not a sign that the Flyers are a shit organization or that the beat writers suck, these issues are mutually exclusive.

As for the tweets about trades, that was not directed at twitter randos it was directed at people that are actual hockey writers with actual contacts who again are doing what they are supposed to do. If Seravelli or ASF or Meltzer or whomever says "I heard that the Flyers are looking to move/trade for PLAYER X" if it doesn't happen people act as though they are saying it as gospel truth and were wrong or just made it up out of thin air. Their job as reporters is to report on what they hear. If someone talks to a Flyers FO guy and says, "yeah we are looking to add a center and some of our defenseman are on the table" or whatever, should the reporter just ignore it? Of course not. But year in and year out people rip these guys for making stuff up or lying or whatever (not just in Flyers world but other teams or national guys). I'm not talking about the "hockeyinsiderr" or "Eklund" types of the world, I'm talking about hockey guys with actual access.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad