Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
That part is the real tragedy. They are just catering to the Hoovers that vacuum this shit right up. They know their crowd.

The organization is catering to fans on an otherwise inconsequential decision?

What is the alternative? Spite fans for the sake of it?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on the interaction of events, facts, ideas, and people that are the "news of the day" and that informs society to at least some degree of accuracy. The word, a noun, applies to the occupation (professional or not), the methods of gathering information, and the organizing literary styles.

I am always curious what you guys think the role of journalists are or what their job is. They get paid to generate clicks/sell newspapers/subscriptions/whatever. On a slow news day, the news will be slow.

What you want to read is called propaganda! Iam German and you can bet i know the difference about journalism and propaganda!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The only thing that offends me here is the description of this board’s complaining as “increscent”. A good portion of us have been militantly unhappy for so long that we’re no longer unhappy at all and have careened into bemused detachment. And it sure as hell wasn’t gradual. I remember the “Oh no, we’re actually screwed,” discussions on the day of the Filppula trade. What a nightmare that day was.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The organization is catering to fans on an otherwise inconsequential decision?

What the alternative? Spite fans for the sake of it?
The organization knows there is a large contingent of fans who don't see that as an inconsequential decision. Those fans existing is the tragedy part, I should have been more clear.

The only thing that offends me here is the description of this board’s complaining as “increscent”. A good portion of us have been militantly unhappy for so long that we’re no longer unhappy at all and have careened into bemused detachment. And it sure as hell wasn’t gradual. I remember the “Oh no, we’re actually screwed,” discussions on the day of the Filppula trade. What a nightmare that day was.
Oh, that's a real word, eh? I just thought he spelled "incessant" wrong. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Because the increscent whining is ridiculous. This team sucks and the organization sucks. But need to just complain for the sake of complaining constantly about everything (up to and including an off-season post from beat writers being excited about a new center ice logo) is just ridiculous.

Beat writers exist to report on the team. They want people talking about the team. That keeps them employed. I don't know what you believe a beat writer's job is or what they should be doing (I guess not trying to generate interest or not trying say positive things?). What do you want our beat writers to do when the Flyers issue a press release on something like this? Just retweet the press release?

That's their damn job you dummy!
No one is complaining for the sake of complaining. They're complaining because they feel it is justified and they see through the charade.

Just know that the people tweeting these things out actually believe that it makes a lick of difference and that the team is on the way up. They're not saying it just to get engagement. They're saying it because they actually believe it. It's been an insidious mindset in this fan base for years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
IMG_0209.jpeg

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
View attachment 743077

Im all for Ginning making the team. Anything that makes us worse in the short-term is good.

Because the increscent whining is ridiculous. This team sucks and the organization sucks. But need to just complain for the sake of complaining constantly about everything (up to and including an off-season post from beat writers being excited about a new center ice logo) is just ridiculous.

Beat writers exist to report on the team. They want people talking about the team. That keeps them employed. I don't know what you believe a beat writer's job is or what they should be doing (I guess not trying to generate interest or not trying say positive things?). What do you want our beat writers to do when the Flyers issue a press release on something like this? Just retweet the press release?

That's their damn job you dummy!

Here's the thing though, complaining about complaining is still complaining.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on the interaction of events, facts, ideas, and people that are the "news of the day" and that informs society to at least some degree of accuracy. The word, a noun, applies to the occupation (professional or not), the methods of gathering information, and the organizing literary styles.

What you want to read is called propaganda! Iam German and you can bet i know the difference about journalism and propaganda!
If we are going to cite wikipedia definitions, perhaps you should look at the correct term.

Beat reporting, also known as specialized reporting, is a genre of journalism focused on a particular issue, sector, organization, or institution over time.

Description​

Beat reporters build up a base of knowledge on and gain familiarity with the topic, allowing them to provide insight and commentary in addition to reporting straight facts. Generally, beat reporters will also build up a rapport with sources that they visit again and again, allowing for trust to build between the journalist and their source of information. This distinguishes them from other journalists who might cover similar stories from time to time.[1]

Journalists become invested in the beats they are reporting for, and become passionate about mastering that beat.[2] Beat reporters often deal with the same sources day after day, and must return to those sources regardless of their relationship with them.[3] Those sources may or may not be pleased with the reporting of the reporters.[3] It is pertinent that beat reporters contact their sources quickly, obtain all necessary information, and write on deadline.[3]

According to media sociologists, beat reporting occurs because of the limited time reporters are given to cover stories.[4] For big scoops, beats are not necessarily as useful as other journalism types.[4] Some of the best inside stories, such as the Bay of Pigs Invasion and the Watergate scandal, did not come from beat reporting.[4]

Beat reporters collect information from each person they meet while reporting.[5] They routinely call, visit, and e-mail sources to obtain any new information for articles.[5] When reporters have experience on a specific beat, they are able to gain both knowledge and sources to lead them to new stories relating to that beat.[5] Beats are able to help reporters define their roles as journalists, and also avoid overlap of stories within the newsroom.[5]

In sports, many professional teams have beat reporters assigned, such as for teams within Major League Baseball (MLB) or the National Football League (NFL).[6][7] Many beat reporters work for major websites such as MLB.com or The Athletic, or for major newspapers such as The Washington Post or Los Angeles Times.

And no, it is not propaganda. They are beat writers. Their job is not the same as an investigative journalist. Bob Woodward is not a beat writer. ASF and co. are. Their jobs and their roles are different. The beat writers exist to do exactly what these tweets do, especially in the offseason when there is nothing else to write about. Whining that a beat writer is saying something nice about the team he covers is like complaining that you went to an ice store and all they had was ice cream.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You are a wise man. Not only do I have zero problem with it, I would have done this too and it’s not because it matters one tiny bit.

This is a superb job from the *gasp* marketing arm of the org. It’s a change that costs them almost nothing in upfront investment from a money or time standpoint. New fans could not possibly care or are likely to even notice. It will be endlessly trumpeted by people who you’re not paying and plays phenomenally to a section of the fanbase that will feel underappreciated no matter what you do.

Basically what I’m saying is that the non-hockey parts of the Flyers org just got one over on the people that hate them most. Those who think this signals something are the ones unable to look at these things from any perspective but their own. It’s sad, but I’m sure as shit not worrying about it for a nanosecond. I’ll stay in my nice cozy cage while all of this passes by.
It’s just like Gritty.

It’s not for me, which is fine, and honestly if they had just quietly gone about doing this I’d have seen it, thought “Oh, thats a good choice”, then moved on and never thought about it again.

My disgust is towards the shameless media who are so transparently overly-excited about it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Here's the thing though, complaining about complaining is still complaining.
Complaining is fine. Complaining for the sake of complaining is silly. There is a TON to complain about. Beat writers performing the job of a beat writer is not one of those things.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Yea I don't know who here is upset and whining. The impression I get is most people are laughing. The org is a joke. You're supposed to laugh at jokes, no?

View attachment 743077

I'll bet one poster here is not underrating it. And probably with good reason! :laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No one is complaining for the sake of complaining. They're complaining because they feel it is justified and they see through the charade.

Just know that the people tweeting these things out actually believe that it makes a lick of difference and that the team is on the way up. They're not saying it just to get engagement. They're saying it because they actually believe it. It's been an insidious mindset in this fan base for years.
Dude they tweeted about a center ice logo. They didn't say that this means the team is going to be good or make the playoffs or any shit like that. They said they like or excited about the throwback to the old setup and the traditions of the past and specifically said that they know the season will be rough. You are complaining about something that didn't even happen.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
If we are going to cite wikipedia definitions, perhaps you should look at the correct term.

And no, it is not propaganda. They are beat writers. Their job is not the same as an investigative journalist. Bob Woodward is not a beat writer. ASF and co. are. Their jobs and their roles are different. The beat writers exist to do exactly what these tweets do, especially in the offseason when there is nothing else to write about. Whining that a beat writer is saying something nice about the team he covers is like complaining that you went to an ice store and all they had was ice cream.
I am always curious what you guys think the role of journalists are or what their job is. They get paid to generate clicks/sell newspapers/subscriptions/whatever. On a slow news day, the news will be slow.

YOU YOURSELF SPOKE ABOUT JOURNALISTS. Not about beat writers.

ASF and CO gloated themselves about how critical they are about the organisation. Alot of people followed them because they was very straight forward and without a lot of filters.

Now after the new failure of orange is installed they changed to being the propaganda machine for the franchise! Stop defending this shit!

Its laughable!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Dude they tweeted about a center ice logo. They didn't say that this means the team is going to be good or make the playoffs or any shit like that. They said they like or excited about the throwback to the old setup and the traditions of the past and specifically said that they know the season will be rough. You are complaining about something that didn't even happen.
What exactly do you think that I and others are complaining about?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Everyone is so pissed because all the Flyers do is try to desperately hold on to the good times back in the primordial 70s.

Every year they sign a "tough guy" player who, in fact, is useless. Every year they bring back former Flyers into the organization as scouts/coaches/developmental personnel/etc. Every year they bring back the advisors who were all a part of the primordial 70s. This year, they brought back the bUrNt oRaNgE. They bring back the double logo. They bring back coaches who haven't coached in years. They bring back past their prime players. Eventually, they'll bring back Doop.

This is all the f***ing problem. This is why some people are annoyed at the ice, of all things. This iteration of the Flyers is too proud to do anything but let go of the good ol days. They are too proud to look forward. They're too proud to tank, they're too proud to make off the wall 3rd jerseys (for example), they're too proud to hire new, going coaches or execs. They're too proud to build a roster that follows the blueprint of success throughout the league. The way they operate will never bring back winning. They're entitled to what they got when they played here when John Lennon was alive, 5 years after the (@Jack Straw) FIRST moon landing.

It's all so disgusting.
iu

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s not completely unsmart to cater to those people since they’re the only people giving you money over the next 3-5 years. They’ve done nothing to address the future of their fanbase apart from player decisions. None of them care about ‘tradition’ because there’s been a whole generation they’ve been unable to indoctrinate to their ways given how the city reacted to the Process and embraced, like, 4th tier soccer at best.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What exactly do you think that I and others are complaining about?
I don't even know that's why this is confusing and stupid. People are saying they are "bought and paid for" and somehow tweeting in the off-season about a new center ice logo is some sign that they are not good at their jobs or not credible or whatever I'm not even sure. A completely innocuous tweet and people are posting about it on here like these guys did something that proves some kind of point about the organization being bad or the writers being bad I'm not even sure.

It's the same thing when someone tweets something about a possible trade and then it doesn't happen and people react like they are just making stuff up (unless of course it's a rumor or writer they like, at which point it's fine) or if they do tweet a rumor and it comes true then the guy is just lucky. Not everything that happens related to this team requires whining and complaining, nor do they require praise and celebration. They're getting a new center ice logo. Some people are excited about it during an off-season with nothing really happening. That's not indicative of some grand scheme of shitty organizations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad