Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
How did Lindros not win it? Is there a back story there?
lindros was kind of universally hated outside of philly when he wasnt representing Canada internationally when he refused to play for the Nordiques and almost every writer trashed him. It was before the internet message board days so fans didnt really have a chance to defend him online while the media took him to the cleaners every chance they got, which only got worse when he became a flyer lol and unless you were a Flyers fan it was easier to appreciate Lemeiux and Jagr back then. He really didnt catch a break until he had a falling out with Clarke and the team over his enormous little baby head, but people love it anytime they have a new reason to hate Philly

Reactions: PDX Flyer

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers really haven’t had many if really any potential instant higher end impact rookies in their team history. Lindros was probably about your best bet & Selanne had a season for the ages regardless of tenure status.

The Flyers history of not really rebuilding & trying to buy teams like hurt it’s chances in that regard.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Vegas, Nashville, Anaheim, Tampa, Edmonton, Philadelphia are the only teams to never have a Calder winner. Obviously, that's not the end all be all, but you have to laugh that the Flyers are the oldest franchise to never have a winner. Besides Edmonton (Gretzky was ineligible, and Manning took out McDavid's guaranteed win), the other franchises are 25-50 years younger.

There's a good chance the Flyers get off the schneid when Michkov comes over. Which will ease the pain of still not having a playoff team.

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
It's a real mystery why a team that prioritizes plug veterans over youth, and yo-yo's young players between the AHL and on the 4th line with said plugs has never had a Calder winner.

Maybe if they ever let kids play quality minutes from the start of the season they might have better success.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gostisbehere should have won it.
200.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
But apparently you can still mute accounts, which pretty much does the same thing.

I guess the difference is they can still see your tweets but you won’t see theirs?

Heh… who would do such a thing…

30r1af.jpg

There's two sides of the general argument, and I think both have some validity....

1) No one should have to go through their job being legitimately harassed. I get it, that probably sucks a lot, and it's probably hard to deal with. However...

2) Your job is interacting with the public and you have to understand that some people are not going to like your takes, regardless of what they are. You have to take the good with the bad. I don't think people should have to endure a hostile work environment (and would agree with blocking harassers), but I also think it's kind of the sphere in which you're working.

Specifically with Bill, I've had arguments/disagreements with him either on HB or on twitter, and he has always been on courteous. I don't agree with many of his viewpoints anymore, but I still respect him. I've also virtually known him for 14 or so year (I started posting on his HB page in 2009 or something like that, I only assume that he has recognized my name). I have seen him get snippy, but it's usually in response to someone else who started first.

It's a completely different story with Charlie. Firstly, his takes on certain players are awful...That would be okay, but he attempts to use analytics as a foundation for some of his takes. However, I don't think he really understands them as well as he thinks he does. Either that, or he completely ignores when there is a differences in analytical profiles. Secondly, and more importantly, his responses to tweets that are legitimate criticisms of players he likes or the team in general are, at times so condesending. For example, and I'm not looking for it, someone said something like Cates' lack of offense is concerning. His response was something like, 'well, he's top 95th percentile in defensive impacts, sooo.....'. Or his tweet about fans getting excited about Michkov's preseason.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
According to Apple’s App Store review guidelines, “apps with user-generated content or social networking services must include… The ability to block abusive users from the service.” Similarly, Google Play’s policies on restricted content say, “Apps that contain or feature [user-generated content]… must implement robust, effective and ongoing UGC moderation that … Provides an in-app system for blocking UGC and users.”

1yzMaR9.png

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Going to be honest I'm the kind of flyers fan who appreciates that no flyer has ever won the lady Bing.
I'd like to get a calder though

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's two sides of the general argument, and I think both have some validity....

1) No one should have to go through their job being legitimately harassed. I get it, that probably sucks a lot, and it's probably hard to deal with. However...

2) Your job is interacting with the public and you have to understand that some people are not going to like your takes, regardless of what they are. You have to take the good with the bad. I don't think people should have to endure a hostile work environment (and would agree with blocking harassers), but I also think it's kind of the sphere in which you're working.

Specifically with Bill, I've had arguments/disagreements with him either on HB or on twitter, and he has always been on courteous. I don't agree with many of his viewpoints anymore, but I still respect him. I've also virtually known him for 14 or so year (I started posting on his HB page in 2009 or something like that, I only assume that he has recognized my name). I have seen him get snippy, but it's usually in response to someone else who started first.

It's a completely different story with Charlie. Firstly, his takes on certain players are awful...That would be okay, but he attempts to use analytics as a foundation for some of his takes. However, I don't think he really understands them as well as he thinks he does. Either that, or he completely ignores when there is a differences in analytical profiles. Secondly, and more importantly, his responses to tweets that are legitimate criticisms of players he likes or the team in general are, at times so condesending. For example, and I'm not looking for it, someone said something like Cates' lack of offense is concerning. His response was something like, 'well, he's top 95th percentile in defensive impacts, sooo.....'. Or his tweet about fans getting excited about Michkov's preseason.
I'd say they should be able to do whatever they want on their personal accounts, regardless of what kind of job they have (and then obviously their employer is also free to determine if they want to keep working with them based on what they do, but that's a different topic). If they want to block/mute people, that's their choice.

However, the fact that they feel the need to not only do that but also bitch about it in the way they do, and as often as they do, shows they're just soft people with inflated egos who can't handle mild criticism or the idea that mere plebian fans might know more than they do. They're not getting serious hate messages like other people on the internet do. They're being told their takes are trash and other mild stuff like that. I've seen it. I've seen what they're responding to when they have their little meltdowns. I've also seen multiple of them "harass" people like @AdamParrot because they didn't like his tweets in the same way the fans "harass" them, so they're hypocrites on top of it all.

As far as Charlie goes, I never understood why he was praised as much as he was when I started posting here, but this tweet was where I immediately thought "Nah, screw this dishonest shill". I agree with everything you said about him.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think about this all the time. I played with 2 ballplayers that made it to low minor baseball. They were insane players, didn't even get close. Crazy

I played against a guy who got drafted by the Redsox in the 80s. Even in Babe Ruth I couldn’t hit his curveball. So the answer is pretty clear on how much I would fare against a MLB pitcher. Even a bad one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad