So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Pretty sure he gets talked about a lot

Very good complimentary Ryan Smyth like player, but he also drives his line a lot. Such a hard worker. I loved the signing from day one. I watched him a ton in Toronto and seen what he could do with higher elite superstars.

I think him and Marner could have done a lot too if Matthews was not on their line to always try finishing. Hyman just knows where to go.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
This is intended as more a compliment to Kunitz than a knock at Hyman

But I see him as sort of a modern Kunitz. Excellent support player who gets some career years (so far) complimenting a super star, but in a faster and more open offensive era

He’s a legit great players but I think he’s only of multiple players now having career years with this team (Barrie, RNH)
Ideally, this is what you want to happen when you have a guy(s) who make 12 million. They should be able to turn cheap guys into better players. Like Crosby did. Hyman ain't cheap, but you know what I mean.

Matthews led the team in goals last year both in the regular season and playoffs, even with a damaged wrist and missed games.

Draisaitl seems to have been carried by McDavid. Hyman looks like a better goalscorer than him.
He does not look the same after that lumberjack swing by Douchangelo. Does not even look close to any other year finishing wise.

Reactions: Duke74

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Draisaitl's numbers this year:

Goals/60 5 vs 5 with McDavid in 327 minutes = 0.18

Goals/60 5 vs 5 away from McDavid = 1.18

Goals/60 5 vs 5 with McLeod and Foegele ~ 1.9

I'm going to guess that you have not watched the Oilers at all this year. Draisaitl by the way is on pace for 43 goals this year.

Hyman is such a classy guy. What he is doing is amazing. And he probably leads the NHL in goals disallowed.

Yeah it's kind of absurd the disrespect Draisaitl gets. Draisaitl is admittedly having a down year by his standards, many speculate he's had an injury basically all season. Notably his one timer seems fairly off which is strange because shots usually don't just go unless there's some sort of temporary ailment.

His shooting percentage is down like an entire standard deviation and he's largely not getting as many shots on net per game as he used to.

He's also significantly reduced his scoring chances against and drastically reduced his high danger changes against while his own scoring chance numbers haven't changed at all.

Yet he's largely played without McDavid and still on pace for 106 points while having the lowest PP production he's had since he broke out as a super star; his 5th 100 point season. In comparison Crosby has 6 100 point years, a guy like MacKinnon has 2, a guy like Matthews has one (106 points) and a guy like Malkin has 3.

• Love
Reactions: Duke74

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He’s good but it’s natural for people to wonder how many of these are tap-ins from McDavid:

View attachment 827204

You're seriously saying Hyman going to the net hard and being relentless while taking all that abuse is a negative?

dd0.jpg

That kind of graph you really only ever see from guys like Hyman, Smyth, Holmstrom, Kreider...

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Yeah it's kind of absurd the disrespect Draisaitl gets. Draisaitl is admittedly having a down year by his standards, many speculate he's had an injury basically all season. Notably his one timer seems fairly off which is strange because shots usually don't just go unless there's some sort of temporary ailment.

His shooting percentage is down like an entire standard deviation and he's largely not getting as many shots on net per game as he used to.

He's also significantly reduced his scoring chances against and drastically reduced his high danger changes against while his own scoring chance numbers haven't changed at all.

Yet he's largely played without McDavid and still on pace for 106 points while having the lowest PP production he's had since he broke out as a super star; his 5th 100 point season. In comparison Crosby has 6 100 point years, a guy like MacKinnon has 2, a guy like Matthews has one (106 points) and a guy like Malkin has 3.
Shh don't let facts get in the way

*Mic Drop post

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
I mean he didn't come close in Toronto playing with many would believe you to be the best top 6 in the league

Hyman has improved every year he’s been in the league. He’s such a fantastic story

He had hands like Simon Benoit for the first few years. He’s really worked to get where he’s at today

Couldn’t be happier for him

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

draisaitl has def been awful much of this season. He just often hasn’t been putting in enough effort. Many games he’s slow, doesn’t move his feet, he reaches, takes too many penalties, forces passes etc. but, as long as he goes into beast mode like he tends to do once the playoffs hit that’s all that matters I guess.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Cap Hit: 5.5M

GP: 56
Goals: 40
Assists: 19

Plays hockey the right way. Hard on the puck, no nonsense, not dirty, good on and off ice character.

Best cap value in the NHL possibly.
I did...for years.

-Leafs Fan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kunitz best comparison.
Kunitz scored 25 goals and had 60 points in 2006-07 with the Ducks. His most productive seasons with Pittsburgh were either his 35 goal and 68 point season in 78 games in 2013-14 or if you permit proration his 22 goal and 50 point season in 48 games in 2012-2013.

Hyman's best year with an offensively dominant Leaf team was 21 goals and 37 points in 51 games. Last year he had 36 goals and 83 points in 79 games. His 40 goals and 59 points in 56 games almost doubles his best goals pace with the Leafs and he will have for two years in a row probably doubled the number of points as his top season in Toronto. This isn't just the influence of McDavid or pp time. His game is at a completely different level than it was in Toronto. It's really quite remarkable especially if you factor in that for probably 20-25 games this year McDavid has looked almost human.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Crazy that Hyman became a better goal scorer than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl can do it without McDavid allegations proving false.
Now go check their stats with and without each other at even strength

Yes, this reminds me of the amazing year Bernie Nicholls had when playing with Gretzky.
Pretty sure Gretzky was first line centre and Nicholls was second line centre.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love it when a player starts playing better than career averages everyone compares him to Cheechoo. Happened to Kreider now and he's had his best three seasons be the last three, though last year he was a bit more meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad