So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
OH, I like this obsession with statistics like that. You can find it for any given player, e.g., most goals scored in the first half of the second period over the last 14 games of the season.
I do agree that it gets to be too much. You see it all over the place.

I just posted it b/c regardless of the games, he looks to be in some good company there.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I do agree that it gets to be too much. You see it all over the place.

I just posted it b/c regardless of the games, he looks to be in some good company there.
Yeah, I also mean Zack Hyman doesn't need stuff like this. 42 goals and counting is enough for him to be considered one of the best goal scorers this season. With or without McDavid.

Reactions: nturn06

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He's making up for last season when he scored like 15 goals below expected.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I was going to say he's probably in the convo as best Jew ever, but I did a google search and discovered that the Hughes and Fox are also Jewish.

Did not know that. Jewish hockey is coming on strong.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
It's already been mentioned but he's basically McDavids version of Chris Kunitz. Probably wouldn't put up these kinds of numbers without his situation but honestly who really gives a shit, he's killing it. Super likeable guy and stoked for him. I initially thought his contract would be terrible so I'm glad he's made me eat crow on that

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
He has been by far the most consistent Oiler. In nights where the team is listless and sloppy it is often him who gets the ball rolling to get the team to wake up. I really couldn’t imagine the team without him right at this point. Add on he just seems really, really decent human being.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nothing to talk about. He is the product of McDavid. Not very impressive but good for him I suppose.
My dead grandmother would score with peak mcd
Yes it's unsustainable production boosted by McDavid no doubt but these are such odd takes.
There's been tons of forwards tried with McDavid over 7+ years and only two have scored 40+ goals, Draisaitl and Hyman. Also, there's been times when McDavid wasn't playing like McDavid when Hyman was carrying the team. Anybody who watches Hyman can see that he's not a passenger on that line or any line he's on and that he actually drives a lot of play. It takes skill to mesh with McDavid.

Hyman deserves all the respect. He'd be a 30+ goal scorer on most teams.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There’s no denying playing with McDrai is helping his point totals but also no denying his never ending work ethic and ability to do the hard work has also helped their point totals as well.

An all around great player and an absolute steal of a contract

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I've always support his contract with the oilers and it was blatantly obvious that he was gonna workout playing with Mcdavid.

His goal heatmap is pretty much the ideal linemate for Mcdavid. Not anyone can do what he does though. He has a good mix of everything and knows his role better than any player

Lots of guys don't have the success of someone like Hyman or Alex Burrows with the Sedins or Hornqvist as another example, because they want to add more dimensions to their game instead of perfect the ones they are paid for

Not saying Hyman doesnt improve in other assets, but he knows what he has to do to succeed because he has great hockey IQ and knows his linemates can do something better

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hyman is the modern day Chris Kunitz. Put a peak Kunitz on McDavids wing for a full season and he scores 50 goals easy.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
It's hard not to love Hyman, who does a lot for the team in terms of playing the right way, consistently. He embodies gritty, but fair hockey.

As a by the way, I hope we do away with heavily caveated stats, though. If we praise players on account of these arbitrary, multi-conditioned stats, we ought to tear into them on the same premise. Is McDavid really good, when he is pointless in Friday-night games playing towards goals oriented between 78 at 91 degrees and at least two direct blood line ancestors in the lower stands. That's terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
People talk about him "being a product of McDavid" like he's Kassian, not Hyman.

Both can be true. Hyman has always been a legit top 6 winger. Maroon and Kassian were never that. McDavid just somehow got Maroon to score 30 goals which is unbelievable.

Likewise he's elevated Hyman to top 3 in scoring. Which like ya, he's a good player but is anyone betting money on a repeat if he wasn't with McDavid?

Chris Kunitz seems like a good comparable.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Remember when Leafs fans said that contract the Oilers gave him was terrible? :laugh:
No because they actually said that the dollar amount isn't the problem, but the last 2-3 years of that contract will be rough when he's 35+, guys who play like him generally fall off badly at that age. He's absolutely worth 5.5, maybe more, it was always the term that sucked.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Still blows my mind Dubas wouldn’t budge on a sign and trade

They aren’t even in your frigan conference
And it is a free 4th and 5th round pick
Dubas was more concerned with what the fans think about him, than about making his team better. Bringing in Tavares and not helping Edmonton made him popular in Toronto.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad