So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Best UFA signing in Oiler history. A role model on and off the ice. Absolute beauty man, love the player. He absolutely deserves a spot on Team Canada.

One of the luckiest players in the NHL. Literally played with Superstars all his life right from day one.
Lol. Luck doesn't have anything to do with it. The guy worked his absolute bag off to get where he is, and continues to do so every single night. From a late round pick, to bottom 6er to 40 goal man. The guy has earned every ounce he has ever gotten.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Cap Hit: 5.5M

GP: 56
Goals: 40
Assists: 19

Plays hockey the right way. Hard on the puck, no nonsense, not dirty, good on and off ice character.

Best cap value in the NHL possibly.
Thread title is funny people talk a lot about Leaf and Oilers players right?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He plays on the Oilers top powerplay unit with the best player in the world. Said power play also has another top 10 player on it for good measure.
He also contributes, he's not just some passenger picking up random points. We saw it first hand in Toronto, how many board/puck battles did he used to hustle for and win, which he had no business winning ? He's one of the best forecheckers in the league, great defensively and knows how to get his top guys the puck and then the IQ to be in position without the puck.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Remember when Leafs fans said that contract the Oilers gave him was terrible? :laugh:
1709238851345.png

Almost as good as this one

1709238891411.png

draisaitl-leon-140627.jpg

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
One of the luckiest players in the NHL. Literally played with Superstars all his life right from day one.
Maybe he is a superstar lite too?

Best UFA signing in Oiler history. A role model on and off the ice. Absolute beauty man, love the player. He absolutely deserves a spot on Team Canada.
I would have never said that a few years ago, but hes a clutch dude that you want to wear the Maple Leaf. Good player and ambassador for the game. Agree w you.

• Haha
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
hope he gets 50. although Hyman will never get talked about like he really earned it. I mean okay yeah he earned it but along the same lines as Cheechoo

he's a new version of Cheechoo. you take him and put him on any team and I dunno I would question if he puts in these numbers.

Remember when Leafs fans said that contract the Oilers gave him was terrible? :laugh:
to be fair with us he had alot of injuries and was hard to see it being worth his ask with us atleast. we just simply couldn't afford him and he earned his raise. never had an issue with him leaving and still dont. good to see him do well.

wouldn't mind him back if he played like this although I dont think he would be all that close to what he is right now if he stayed

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
One of the best free agent signings of the cap era.
At least Hyman offsets probably the worst free agent signing in the cap era in giving Jack Campbell a 5x5 contract after the season he had with the Leafs. I mean what in the HELL was Holland thinking?!??!?!?!

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
At least Hyman offsets probably the worst free agent signing in the cap era in giving Jack Campbell a 5x5 contract after the season he had with the Leafs. I mean what in the HELL was Holland thinking?!??!?!?!
Nah there are worse. Looking at goalies Brzygalov got a 6 mil aav deal in 2011 (rates to 8.5 mil today), Jeff Finger, David Clarkson.

Reactions: soothsayer

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This is intended as more a compliment to Kunitz than a knock at Hyman

But I see him as sort of a modern Kunitz. Excellent support player who gets some career years (so far) complimenting a super star, but in a faster and more open offensive era

He’s a legit great players but I think he’s only of multiple players now having career years with this team (Barrie, RNH)

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Crazy that Hyman became a better goal scorer than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl can do it without McDavid allegations proving false.
He's having an off year, it can happen to very good players. Just look at Matthews, he put up a putrid 40g, 45a last year

Reactions: Duke74

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Nah there are worse. Looking at goalies Brzygalov got a 6 mil aav deal in 2011 (rates to 8.5 mil today), Jeff Finger, David Clarkson.
Finger was mehhh, but his contract was relatively cheap. Clarkson and Brzygalov both had decent/good seasons under their belt before they signed their big contracts. Campbell meanwhile played only one season where he approached playing the amount that a starting goalie does and his playoff numbers with the Leafs were bad going into free agency and he still got a 5x5 contract. I mean if you're going to give him 5 million a season at least make it a shorter contract so that you get out of it faster if you make a mistake.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He's having an off year, it can happen to very good players. Just look at Matthews, he put up a putrid 40g, 45a last year

Matthews led the team in goals last year both in the regular season and playoffs, even with a damaged wrist and missed games.

Draisaitl seems to have been carried by McDavid. Hyman looks like a better goalscorer than him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duke74 and PuckG

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Matthews led the team in goals last year both in the regular season and playoffs, even with a damaged wrist and missed games.

Draisaitl seems to have been carried by McDavid. Hyman looks like a better goalscorer than him.
Cmon you really don't want to be bringing up playoff numbers when doing a Draisaitl Matthews comparison. Just pretend playoffs don't exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad