So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
It's relative to the team. Matthews abysmal year involves him leading his team in goal scoring. Draisaitl gets separated from McDavid and he's 11 goals back of Hyman.
You can make all the excuses you want and twist it what ever you want, that was a putrid season by Matthews standards and if you disagree then you don't think he belongs in the conversation as one of the best in the game.

Reactions: Duke74

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Finger was mehhh, but his contract was relatively cheap. Clarkson and Brzygalov both had decent/good seasons under their belt before they signed their big contracts. Campbell meanwhile played only one season where he approached playing the amount that a starting goalie does and his playoff numbers with the Leafs were bad going into free agency and he still got a 5x5 contract. I mean if you're going to give him 5 million a season at least make it a shorter contract so that you get out of it faster if you make a mistake.
Fingers cap hit as a % of cap would be 5.2 mil today.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
I don't begrudge Hyman making the most of his opportunities. But for Leaf fans bemoaning that we let him get away, remember this: He's benefiting from being the go to of a guy who's on a pace for over 100 assists. If he were still in Toronto, he'd be Marner's 2nd choice...every time! 25 goals maybe. And if he's not playing with M&M, maybe not even that. And that's not worth 5.5 a season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He’s good but it’s natural for people to wonder how many of these are tap-ins from McDavid:

View attachment 827204
He just needs to grow a mullet and he’d be indistinguishable from Ryan Smyth.

But in all sincerity, a tonne of those are tap ins from McDavid or Draisaitl. I don’t think there’s really any question he’s largely a product of McDavid and a top PP unit. But just like Kunitz with Crosby, not all guys can mesh that well with elite players. He’s a great player in his own right. Not 2nd best goal scorer in the league good. But still excellent.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
It's relative to the team. Matthews abysmal year involves him leading his team in goal scoring. Draisaitl gets separated from McDavid and he's 11 goals back of Hyman.
Draisaitl is scoring more EVS this year than last. He has been cold on the PP this year which is the difference. They are separate 80% of the time.

Reactions: Duke74

Dave92

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2019
Is McDavid that much better than Matthews? I thought they were supposed to be close.
Matthews is a a generational goal scorer and a very good all around player. But when it comes to setting up goals for his teammates the only comparable Mcdavid has is Gretzky.

Reactions: PaulD

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Hated losing Hyman, but had to.

Fantastic, fantastic player.

Agreed maybe the best value contract in the NHL.

Sure he benefits from McDavid but he does all the right things and makes McDavid better too.
Could've signed Kadri & Hyman for the price of Tavares. (Not to mention two players for the price of one frees up another forward salary for a dman).

The JT contract was a massive blunder and likely cost us a cup.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Crazy that Hyman became a better goal scorer than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl can do it without McDavid allegations proving false.
Draisaitl's numbers this year:

Goals/60 5 vs 5 with McDavid in 327 minutes = 0.18

Goals/60 5 vs 5 away from McDavid = 1.18

Goals/60 5 vs 5 with McLeod and Foegele ~ 1.9

I'm going to guess that you have not watched the Oilers at all this year. Draisaitl by the way is on pace for 43 goals this year.

Hyman is such a classy guy. What he is doing is amazing. And he probably leads the NHL in goals disallowed.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Could've signed Kadri & Hyman for the price of Tavares. (Not to mention two players for the price of one frees up another forward salary for a dman).

The JT contract was a massive blunder and likely cost us a cup.

I get your point, but there’s just no way at the time that as a GM you don’t sign one of the biggest UFAs available of the past 30 years, especially a local boy.

I mean they got a captain and 7 years of pretty much point per game production for free, that’s just not something any GM says no to. Can you imagine if he didn’t sign and the reason was a few million dollars?

Also hindsight is 20-20, I loved Hyman and absolutely hated to see him go, but he was a historical 40ish point player, I don’t know of anyone who predicted that he’d end up having
PPG seasons and scoring this many goals.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
View attachment 827136

Almost as good as this one

View attachment 827137

draisaitl-leon-140627.jpg

lol, Draisaitl putting up 17 points in 5 games in the 2022 Battle of Alberta series while playing on one leg is legendary, legit one of the greatest playoff series performances ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad