So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I thought Marner was one of the best playmakers in the league, and Matthews is better than McDavid, or so I've heard here on HFboards.
Marner is good play maker for sure but yes I can smile reading your comment. Good luck in playoffs look forward to an exciting final. Two teams that earned it and both should put on a show.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Shouldn’t the real story be that Hyman is now playing the team who drafted him and he left?

What does Toronto have to do with a UFA who chose to leave for more money like 3 years ago?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lots of good coverage in the reasons here but also it's worth noting that the Leafs were quite close in their offer to Hyman - something like $500k less and a year or 2 less in term.

Hyman chose to secure himself financially. Mind you after seeing what the big 4 got on their contracts, why wouldn't he try to get his.

He's done amazing in shoring up his scoring touch but he doesn't hit these offensive totals with the Leafs.

Reactions: Danarqhy

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Who would have guessed High Man would be the one to potentially break the playoff goal record and pot 50+ in the regular season. Aside from his incredibly wealthy father, of course.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Zach Hyman has 14 goals and is by far the leading goal scorer in the Stanley Cup. He makes $5.5M per year, a complete bargain that the Leafs didn't want to pay. Unfathomable that the Leafs couldn't pay him that pittance of a salary.

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded. To make matters worse Hyman is a total beast defensively and is playing more like a $10M+ player. Just shocking mismanagement.

Discuss.
Why do the Leafs need Hyman when they already have a playoff beast in Marner that only makes double what Hyman makes?

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
QpE724u.png

Next question
Is that Marner or Matthews' stats?

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Hyman was also playing injured during most of his playoff runs with the Leafs. Never got to see what he was fully capable of there.

His improved finishing ability which has mainly stemmed from learning how to elevate the puck certainly helps but playing with a playoff choker like Matthews who is a below average distributor of the puck and mainly relies on finding open space also was a limiting factor for Zach during his time in Toronto too. Just one of many reasons why the environment in Toronto wasn't conducive for Zach unlocking his full potential.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Is that Marner or Matthews' stats?

Funny you mention this, because no one thought Hyman or Kadri were playoff performers when they were here. The same folks laughing at the Leafs for moving off of guys who didn't get it done are also saying they need to move off of superstars who haven't gotten it done.

Facts are, sometimes guys need a change to hit their potential.

Reactions: Voight

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Over that same period Hyman scored as many goals in the playoffs as Marner. What's your point?

That they couldn't commit more cap to forwards who didn't produce in the playoffs. You aren't trying to say you thought the Leafs should move a 23 year old Marner to keep a 29 year old Hyman right? Because no one believes you

Reactions: Voight

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Also should be noted, these boards clowned us when we said Hyman should be playing for Team Canada, the entire board mocked us for it

He wasn't offered a contract, he wanted to stay in Toronto, he said it himself. Weird post.

Yup same folks who clowned on us for saying he is awesome now say they knew it all along and we hated him.

This thread is a reminder of why I take summers off this site.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That they couldn't commit more cap to forwards who didn't produce in the playoffs. You aren't trying to say you thought the Leafs should move a 23 year old Marner to keep a 29 year old Hyman right? Because no one believes you
You threw up stats to justify why the Leafs didn't keep Hyman and I just pointed out that Marner did no better. Based on that premise the Leafs should have dumped a few of their stars along the way as well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Evidently in hindsight it was a mistake, that being said there are many factors you left out. 1 being that his growth after leaving is very un linear to the rest of his career and that when he was signed for 5.5x7 it was widely regarded as an overpayment.

Also for the record pretty much every Leafs fan wanted him back.

Pretty much came here to say this- I wasn’t a huge Hyman fan, people thought his existing production was because of Matthews and Marner and he wasn’t that good- he’s improved as a player, fits the role perfectly, and plays with more confidence now.

Some similarities to when Habs "threw in" LeClair with Desjardins to Philly... and LeClair went on to be a prolific scorer with Lindros.

Hyman has the same luck, playing with an exceptional player to bolster his stats as such he would never achieve otherwise.

I think that downplays how much he’s improved and how important chemistry is. No one else has come close to playing this well with McD, it’s not just a minor bump in stats. Solid overall player, and a fantastic finisher. He’s lucky to have ended up there, but he’s made the most of it through talent and improvement.

IMO the question isn’t “why did the leafs let him walk?”, because that made sense at the time. The question is more “how did Matthews and Marner feel about Hyman? Did they request the GM bring him back? Or did they let a really eager hardworking dude go get tutelage under McD and Drai and just toast their supposed leadership?

Reactions: Leafs87

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You threw up stats to justify why the Leafs didn't keep Hyman and I just pointed out that Marner did no better. Based on that premise the Leafs should have dumped a few of their stars along the way as well.

And you are trying to say a 23 year old superstar is the same as a 29 year old who never scored more than 60 points

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
My favorite part of Hyman signing with Edmonton was Dubas trying to play hardball with Edmonton to get a better pick for Hyman's rights, then he ended up getting nothing.

The best part is this: Go back to the thread about the Oilers signing Hyman, there are several Leaf fans championing Dubas' getting nothing - as if it was a masterclass in GMing - because he didn't "cave" for a lousy draft pick and the Oilers "got screwed" having to pay more because they didn't have an eighth year to offer.

I'm not making this up - go back and look - it's hilarious.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It's pretty obvious.
It is to me.

It's called holy shit hindsight.

Hyman is a freakin' legend, a mythical creature.

Let's go back and think about it..............

Did ANYONE see this coming? 50 goals? Playoff scoring machine?

We knew he was a hard working hard grinding player but come on!

Very happy for the guy. He should be making double.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad