So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Zach Hyman has 14 goals and is by far the leading goal scorer in the Stanley Cup. He makes $5.5M per year, a complete bargain that the Leafs didn't want to pay. Unfathomable that the Leafs couldn't pay him that pittance of a salary.

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded.

Discuss.

I struggle to believe that Hyman would have reached the same level in Toronto. Playing on a line with either Tavares and Matthews, Hyman wasn't going to be the primary choice to take a shot. Playing with McDavid and RNH, his chances of taking the shot are much higher. And as a result, he's scoring more goals that he likely wouldn't have scored in Toronto.

Reactions: Voight

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hindsight is 20/20. I am not a big Dubas fan but he was hardly a playoff performer with the Leafs and the risk with him was not so much the cap hit, but the term. The prevailing thinking at the time was that Hyman's play style and recent injuries would make him a highly overpaid player.

When you overpay your stars -- you lose the flexibility to take such risks. It's unfortunate.

Hyman loved being a Leaf, and he and his family were from Toronto. He tried to make it work.
I think we can close the thread with this. I'm sure Toronto didn't think he was a bum, just made very poor decisions on how to spend cap that tied their hands.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
You’re going to the aquarium with your wife and four kids, you have $400 and they need money for souvenirs and snacks.

You give one of them $200 and leave the other three to fight for $66.66 each.

Your buddies in Vegas, Colorado and Tampa do the same thing, but they make their kids do chores and contribute.

Good for Hyman and good for the Oilers, but there were questions if he was a product and I think the Leafs didn’t want to give term.

Reactions: Number8

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
There is a very simple explanation as to the stark difference in Hyman’s production for the two teams. Look at the centers with whom he played with for these two teams:

•Matthews, a mediocre passer and playmaker, not even the best on his own team, who relies on his wingers to get HIM the puck and not vice versa.

•McDavid, one of the four greatest playmakers in the history of the sport, whose vision and passing brilliance makes EVERYONE around him better.

Using these facts, its not really hard to see why Hyman is succeeding on the Oilers as opposed to the Leafs.

End of the day, narrative gunna narrative. When Hyman left he wasn't a playoff performer, same with Kadri in fact he got suspended 3 years in a row being an idiot.

They made it deep so now the narrative changes. If the Leafs make it on a deep run, suddenly the narrative changes from they let all these guys go to they made the right changes and kept the right guys.

That's sports. End of the day, they weren't doing it here. Next guy to be on this list is Marner IMO.

Reactions: Voight

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Zach Hyman has 14 goals and is by far the leading goal scorer in the Stanley Cup. He makes $5.5M per year, a complete bargain that the Leafs didn't want to pay. Unfathomable that the Leafs couldn't pay him that pittance of a salary.

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded. To make matters worse Hyman is a total beast defensively and is playing more like a $10M+ player. Just shocking mismanagement.

Discuss.
Completely mismanaged the resigning of their own RFAs gutting their depth. /thread closed

Reactions: dukeofjive

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You’re going to the aquarium with your wife and four kids, you have $400 and they need money for souvenirs and snacks.

You give one of them $200 and leave the other three to fight for $66.66 each.

Your buddies in Vegas, Colorado and Tampa do the same thing, but they make their kids do chores and contribute.

Good for Hyman and good for the Oilers, but there were questions if he was a product and I think the Leafs didn’t want to give term.
I'll take you one better. You decide to by tickets for the aquarium from a scalper and pay way over face value even though the ticket booth is 20 yards away, is open, and there is no line.

At the end of the day you only have enough money to go in with one of your kids. Then you reach too far over the railing at the top of the big tank in the middle and fall in. You get buggered by a homo erotic dolphin because.... Well, at the end of the day, you're just a complete idiot.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs should have kept Hyman but more because he was a hard worker and played the game properly. They probably would have too but at that time his price tag seemed too high with a potentially wonky knee.

Let's not underrate the beauty of chemistry and natural growth.

The Leafs never had this version of Hyman and nothing suggested he would have this type of offensive output in the regular season or playoffs.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Because they thought their stars would play like stars.

Unfortunately that didn't happen and all of them basically perform like a 6-8 million dollar player as opposed to the 11 million+ they are making.

Hyman has now outscored Marner and Tavares Leafs career (11, 12 goals respectively) in a single playoff run, he has a shot at catching Nylander (20 career playoff goals) and will probably catch Matthews career next year (23).

Kadri and Hyman were the players the Leafs should've kept as opposed to Marner and Tavares, hilariously enough they could've even kept one of those two and still afforded both Hyman and Kadri.

Every team gives away players, but the Leafs gave away their grittier/competitive want to win players while keeping soft skill guys who seemingly don't care about winning (hence their insatiable appetite for getting max $ contracts).

If McDavid and Drai are able to turn Hyman/Kane into star players but Matthews/Marner/Tavares (and Nylander to some extent) are not able to 1.Perform like stars 2.Turn their own supporting cast into stars, it begs the question why the Leafs core deserves McDrai money and the answer is they don't, but unfortunately they already dug this grave.

It sucks as a fan of the team, but it's back to post lockout expectations (nothing).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, if he re-signed in Toronto for that contract and continued same production he’d be overpaid. There’s no way to know he would be the same player he is now had he stayed in Toronto. You can’t overpay your middle class.
Once teams pay their core, they can't afford the middle class. TB let Killorn, Palat, Goodrow, Coleman and likely move off from Cirelli to keep Stamkos.
You pay a few guys $8 mill plus and you can't afford many $3-5 mill players. Maybe 1 or 2 max, not 4. Reality of the cap.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Hyman fits perfectly on McDavid wing. Hindsight is always 20/20, but a majority of fans were against giving Hyman a 8 year contract at that price tag. Hyman had never performed like how he's performing in Edmonton ever when playing for Toronto.

Matthews wants the puck, your job is get to him, while McDavid likes to distribute it, and Hyman just needs to tap it in or get the odd wrist shot goal.
Ok so a tunnel visioned gm should have realized this and maybe found a center for a fraction of the cost 9f marner ,kept hyman and just realized u f***ed your team
Instead playing 3 more years with your ass puckerd up with losy defense and patch work goaltending
The fenway group must be loving the dubas f*** ups in toronto

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded. To make matters worse Hyman is a total beast defensively and is playing more like a $10M+ player. Just shocking mismanagement.

Discuss.
1) Kyle Dubas
2) Hyman's not sniffing close to this many goals if he's not playing with McDavid.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Evidently in hindsight it was a mistake, that being said there are many factors you left out. 1 being that his growth after leaving is very un linear to the rest of his career and that when he was signed for 5.5x7 it was widely regarded as an overpayment.

Also for the record pretty much every Leafs fan wanted him back.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well in Leaf's defense who exactly would pass the puck for Hyman to score all these goals? He has been put in perfect situation for himself on Edmonton and kudos for Oilers for realizing that.
I thought Marner was one of the best playmakers in the league, and Matthews is better than McDavid, or so I've heard here on HFboards.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Some similarities to when Habs "threw in" LeClair with Desjardins to Philly... and LeClair went on to be a prolific scorer with Lindros.

Hyman has the same luck, playing with an exceptional player to bolster his stats as such he would never achieve otherwise.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Discuss.
Because Dubas gave massive contracts to 4 (or 5 if you include Reilly) stars who can't play when it matters. Tough to construct a team when that much is tied up in just 5 players.

Reactions: dukeofjive

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They couldn’t afford Hyman or Kadri after paying all their stars.
Myth

Kadri was traded because Dubas is a dumbass and thought Barrie was the answer, Kadri only had a 4.5M cap hit, easily could have held on to that

Hyman wasn't extended because of term. He had 2 significant knee injuries and management was hesitant to give him a long term deal, he didn't look the same after Pionk took his knee out, luckily for him he was able to recover.

We literally spent that money on other forwards, it wasn't because of cap, it was because Dubas was/is an idiot.

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It just goes to show that the Hymans and Maroons of the world don't mesh well with Austin Matthews because he's busy doing the scoring. I wonder by being deep in the opponent's zone, how much for difficult it is for him to backcheck as a good, 1st line center does on a Cup winning team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad