Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
ES scoring has actually been solid...

ducks5.png

If they added a few PP goals could have like a 3-1-1 record now, maybe even better. PP needs more than an adjustment, it needs an overhaul.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
ES scoring has actually been solid...

View attachment 919405

If they added a few PP goals could have like a 3-1-1 record now, maybe even better. PP needs more than an adjustment, it needs an overhaul.

1729533473714.png

That looks great, but we put up a bunch of goals against terrible netminders. We scored 5 goals against Utah's goalie who kept gifting rebounds and 3 goals against Colorado's bad goalie too. Our high xGF/60 is reliant upon opposing bad goalies.

After the next home game versus San Jose, we will go on an East Coast tour: NYR, NJD, NYI, and Pitt. It'll be interesting if Cronin will make any line changes on the road trip.

Reactions: ff8 and Leonardo87

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Gibson being back at practice will lead to an interesting decision. If you waive Reimer, you are almost guaranteed to lose him. Hypothetically, if a Gibson trade is possible in the near future, what would you do? I suppose it’s somewhat likely that a goalie would be coming back in the trade, but would that goalie be better than Reimer?

Reactions: Jacob582

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
So now Strome is out sick. I would bet money that means there are another 3-4 players at least with some degree of the flu right now.

What's a realistic amount of time to really evaluate a flu-stricken team? Two more weeks?
I think it depends - if the whole team has it as of say a few days ago maybe we’re back to where we should be in 2 weeks (and continue to be absolutely wretched in the meantime) but if it’s going to jump between all our players I feel like we could just be swimming in mud a bit but for a longer period

Reactions: ZegrassyKnoll

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Gibson being back at practice will lead to an interesting decision. If you waive Reimer, you are almost guaranteed to lose him. Hypothetically, if a Gibson trade is possible in the near future, what would you do? I suppose it’s somewhat likely that a goalie would be coming back in the trade, but would that goalie be better than Reimer?

Reimer isnt a guy Id be afraid to lose. The Gibson situation has to work out first and if you lose a goalie that was being waived to be sent down to an AHL team because of it, oh well.

The reason he was someone we wanted is because our other goalies werent good enough to play the backup role, or because it was better for their development to go down.

If a Gibson trade happens, you are most likely getting a goalie back that is on a current NHL roster. That would be good enough.

So now Strome is out sick. I would bet money that means there are another 3-4 players at least with some degree of the flu right now.

What's a realistic amount of time to really evaluate a flu-stricken team? Two more weeks?

Eval period for me, goes until about Thanksgiving. Then everything is on the table.

Reactions: duckpuck

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
What has given Gauthier the priority of taking the top line spot? Why not put Zegras there?

Christ. At least on the bright side, Lundy is finally getting some sort of top-six look.

I dont know that we can really say we have a top line. I think they are trying to figure out chemistry and matchups more than anything else. The biggest thing that drives the ice time appears to be special teams. Everything else has been pretty even last I checked.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Reimer isnt a guy Id be afraid to lose. The Gibson situation has to work out first and if you lose a goalie that was being waived to be sent down to an AHL team because of it, oh well.

The reason he was someone we wanted is because our other goalies werent good enough to play the backup role, or because it was better for their development to go down.

If a Gibson trade happens, you are most likely getting a goalie back that is on a current NHL roster. That would be good enough.

Eval period for me, goes until about Thanksgiving. Then everything is on the table.
Everything is always on the table at Thanksgiving

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I genuinely don't understand this. Like, the part about letting them figure it out on their own, okay sure. I don't necessarily love the thought that a "development coach" is not actively coaching them against playing timid to avoid the press box (contrast Terry talking about being coached through fear of mistakes being a big turning point for him), but the players do ultimately have to figure out their own balance on when to take risks, fair enough. The Terry method won't work for everyone, anyway.

But then he specifically cites how Vaaks played well in his one game, but hasn't seen the ice since then because he's the eighth defenseman and that's just "the world he lives in," which sounds an awful lot like the opposite of an example of players being free to earn their ice time. (I'd get it a lot more if "played pretty well" was being contrasted with the rest of the D corps playing "great", but it's harder when Zellweger has already been removed from the PP and arguably looks due for a trip to the Gulls.)
Frankly, it's kind of weird for him to cite Vaaks there at all. Usually when you're talking about the benefits of competition, it's about the guys higher in the lineup feeling the heat from below. Not just the guy at the bottom of the depth chart playing well but still sitting because he's at the bottom of the depth chart. If I'm the sixth defenseman hearing that I do not feel all that healthily pressured.

Also not impressed with him wishing there was more of that competition with the forwards, as if Killorn hasn't kept getting handed first line and PP1 time while providing nothing but being old. Guys having to earn their ice time isn't a binary choice between "sit in the press box" and "lead the forwards in TOI" (which the Zegras and Gauthier benchings prove he knows just fine) and he seems remarkably arbitrary about using that tool. But that's a different rant.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I read the forwards comment as a thinly veiled shot at Verbeek's inability to acquire any depth. There's no competition because there aren't any forwards who can challenge for an NHL job.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
People on this board are already irate, I cant imagine how people here would feel if we had ended up getting Stamkos and Marchessault and started 0-5
We dodged major bullets there, imagine locking either one or both of those up long term. Yikes. They won their Stanley cup, now they got paid at their old age. They are locking it down.

I genuinely don't understand this. Like, the part about letting them figure it out on their own, okay sure. I don't necessarily love the thought that a "development coach" is not actively coaching them against playing timid to avoid the press box (contrast Terry talking about being coached through fear of mistakes being a big turning point for him), but the players do ultimately have to figure out their own balance on when to take risks, fair enough. The Terry method won't work for everyone, anyway.

But then he specifically cites how Vaaks played well in his one game, but hasn't seen the ice since then because he's the eighth defenseman and that's just "the world he lives in," which sounds an awful lot like the opposite of an example of players being free to earn their ice time. (I'd get it a lot more if "played pretty well" was being contrasted with the rest of the D corps playing "great", but it's harder when Zellweger has already been removed from the PP and arguably looks due for a trip to the Gulls.)
Frankly, it's kind of weird for him to cite Vaaks there at all. Usually when you're talking about the benefits of competition, it's about the guys higher in the lineup feeling the heat from below. Not just the guy at the bottom of the depth chart playing well but still sitting because he's at the bottom of the depth chart. If I'm the sixth defenseman hearing that I do not feel all that healthily pressured.

Also not impressed with him wishing there was more of that competition with the forwards, as if Killorn hasn't kept getting handed first line and PP1 time while providing nothing but being old. Guys having to earn their ice time isn't a binary choice between "sit in the press box" and "lead the forwards in TOI" (which the Zegras and Gauthier benchings prove he knows just fine) and he seems remarkably arbitrary about using that tool. But that's a different rant.
Maybe he cites vaaks there because verbeek insists on keeping midget zellwegger/lacombe up. Notice I don’t mention luneau, why? He is a long term solution on this team, that’s why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad