So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
What is there to agree or disagree about his statement? Smith did get scratched, by two different coaches.

Did you watch all the time Smith played under Babcock? You're new here, so I have no idea what you think about the Wings and how long you've been watching. What amazes me more is that the Rangers took him in a trade, and gave him a 4-yr contract -- seeing how horrible he is!

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Did you watch all the time Smith played under Babcock? You're new here, so I have no idea what you think about the Wings and how long you've been watching. What amazes me more is that the Rangers took him in a trade, and gave him a 4-yr contract -- seeing how horrible he is!

I've watched since the 02 championship season (I was 7) :)

As for Smith, I think everyone can agree that when he is on his game, he is a legit second pairing guy on any team, and due to his physical attributes and grit, looks damn good doing so. The problem is, for every time he goes into that mode is at least an equal time where he makes one of the dumbest defensive plays I've ever seen.

As for NYR trading for him, I think they were enamored with a small sample size of Smith, giving them unrealistic expectations. Smith is a likeable guy, and a player who visually does a lot of impressive stuff, but for all of it, very little is there to show at the end of the day.

I just think it's telling that both Babs and Blashill came to the same conclusion about Smith, even in our horrendous defensive shape.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I've watched since the 02 championship season (I was 7) :)

As for Smith, I think everyone can agree that when he is on his game, he is a legit second pairing guy on any team, and due to his physical attributes and grit, looks damn good doing so. The problem is, for every time he goes into that mode is at least an equal time where he makes one of the dumbest defensive plays I've ever seen.

As for NYR trading for him, I think they were enamored with a small sample size of Smith, giving them unrealistic expectations. Smith is a likeable guy, and a player who visually does a lot of impressive stuff, but for all of it, very little is there to show at the end of the day.

I just think it's telling that both Babs and Blashill came to the same conclusion about Smith, even in our horrendous defensive shape.

My daughter was 8 in 2002. :handclap:

That's fine. I've churned through this for a few years, so I didn't stop by to repeat it. :)

Babs has one way of coaching and handling players, and he likes defensive pylons basically. He probably would have dumped Lidstrom in his first 2-3 yrs too. I was not sad to see him leave. :D

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

That's fine. I've churned through this for a few years, so I didn't stop by to repeat it. :)

Babs has one way of coaching and handling players, and he likes defensive pylons basically. He probably would have dumped Lidstrom in his first 2-3 yrs too. I was not sad to see him leave. :D

So what's the excuse for Blashill coming to the same conclusion?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So what's the excuse for Blashill coming to the same conclusion?

Do you believe Blash is as good or better than Babcock? I don't, after watching the team these past couple of years. He lacks some confidence, but it could be more. There were far too many young guys wanting to leave Detroit as well, while Holland continued giving out some bad contracts to guys who were okay -- not great. Now, if he had used that space and never given out the bad contracts, he'd be okay. That's not how it went though.

"We like our team" went on for far too long.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

I find it amazing the rangers traded for him and gave that contract too. But defensemen get signed to bad contracts on a yearly basis so I probably shouldn't be amazed..

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I find it amazing the rangers traded for him and gave that contract too. But defensemen get signed to bad contracts on a yearly basis so I probably shouldn't be amazed..

Four years though? And the Rangers fans seem to love him.

Something doesn't add up. :dunno:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Rangers fans watched him for all of 30 games, 12 of which were in the playoffs. For whatever reason, Smith has always been better in the postseason.

Holland gave Helm a 5 year $20 million contract. Did that make him a different player?

Unless Smith makes the most of his fresh start in New York, that's a bad contract.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Yes 4 years. Good for rangers fans, they've gotten a small glimpse. Every time a trade happens the threads are the same on here. The new fan a base tries to tell the old fan base that they know more based on a small sample size while they still are in the honeymoon phase. Smith looked good in a couple playoff series here. Let's see their opinion after an entire season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, initial views of Smith in NYR doesn't look good for us. At some point we're going to have to wonder if the Wings didn't horribly misuse the guy, or if everyone judged him far too severely for what he wasn't rather than for what he was.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Anyone else get the sickening feeling that Holland is going to make a play for Duchene?
Nah, he doesn't make moves like that. He'll sign some washed up UFAs (likely ex-Wings or Michigan-born players), lose some guys on waivers, and close up shop like every summer.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We don't have the wares for Duchene. If there's a team with 0% chance of landing him, it's us.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If duchene really is a 1c why wouldn't you like it?

Because he wasn't taken with our top 3 pick that we earned by sucking. :sarcasm:

(Granted, I don't really think Duchene is a #1C... or at least a #1C that deserves the bounty that Sakic is trying to get for him.)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lashoff and McIlrath back on 2 year 2 way contracts

https://twitter.com/ansarkhanmlive/status/880253760567693312

Good terms. It takes pretty much 2 seasons before these physical/stay-at-home 2017 draftees are ready for Griffins.

And until some comes and starts talking about them blocking some prospect, please stop instantly that talk. Just waste of everybodys time on this board.

They will compliment our kids well. Lashoff would be ideal partner for Hronek/Saarijärvi and McIlrath for Hicketts.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nick Jensen and Brendan Smith are not offensive, but they both excel at carrying the puck due to their skating.

Agreed. People dont realize that while Smith was never a big point producer, he consistently got the puck up ice into the offensive zone in the transition game. His advanced stats show this as well. He was one of Detroits better dmen (which isnt saying much) and played tough. On a team like New York where he could play as the number 4 with a good partner he looked terrific.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Agreed. People dont realize that while Smith was never a big point producer, he consistently got the puck up ice into the offensive zone in the transition game. His advanced stats show this as well. He was one of Detroits better dmen (which isnt saying much) and played tough. On a team like New York where he could play as the number 4 with a good partner he looked terrific.

Smith's Corsi is heavily influenced by his offensive zone starts.

With Detroit (Corsi/Offensive zone starts):
2011-12: 63.1/63/6
2012-13: 56.0/56.4
2013-14: 51.5/53.2
2014-15: 53.4/57.5
2015-16: 55.0/57.5
2016-17: 49.9/49.8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad