So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I agree. I cant figure out how we could sign anyone after we sign our RFA's unless both Mule & Kronwall are on LTIR.

The issue with this, though, is that they can't come off the cap until the 2nd day of the season. So we would have to be creative with Cap compliance going into the season, where we would then clear their cap hits. But we can't be over the cap number to start the season

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Anyone else, really excited for July 1, when we get Dan Girardi and Ron Hainsey? I am pretty pumped!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The issue with this, though, is that they can't come off the cap until the 2nd day of the season. So we would have to be creative with Cap compliance going into the season, where we would then clear their cap hits. But we can't be over the cap number to start the season

That's not correct. At least in relation to Franzen. He was out for 100% of the previous season, so he's available to be on SOIR (Season Opening IR) You can exceed the cap by this. Must have been something put in for a situation like Horton or Pronger or similar in terms of LTIR. Where teams were gonna do the dance to get the space and they just said "you'd be playing that guy if he were healthy, but he's literally not ever going to play hockey again."

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Anyone else, really excited for July 1, when we get Dan Girardi and Ron Hainsey? I am pretty pumped!

This is the first time in memory I've had absolutely zero interest in potential free agent signings. Last year was close just because I never really believed Stamkos would have any interest in coming here. This year I didn't even think about free agency until the posts began showing up here. I did like the Vanek signing at the time and that worked out well for us. I just shrugged with the Neilsen signing, it was understandable but that deal isn't gonna age well, which can be said for like 90% of the multi-year deals Holland has handed out lately. Ott was totally irrelevant, at least we got a draft pick so that's nice I guess.

I will consider free agency a massive win if we don't give out any long term contracts. That tells you how bad the current state of the franchise is right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wings use their own analytics to determine which players to sign.

Oldest + slowest + most useless = perfect fit

That would be Brian Campbell still though. He spent more than half the season as the bottom pairing d,. His analytics don't matter to me.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Un****ing believable. Smith in Detroit and Detroit fans are like "This guy is a piece of **** who doesn't know how to hockey and it would be embarrassing to offer him even $3M per year.

Smith in New York, "Oh, he was always a good offensive defenseman and the advanced stats say x. Man, 4.35M seems alright."

Smith is still the same troglodyte who will draw the ire of the Rangers' faithful when he inevitably costs them several goals with ridiculous misplays. Guy with all the tools in the world, but the hockey IQ of a scone. If Holland signed him for 4.35M, I think about 50% of the board would literally tromp down to LCA and light it to the ground. A scorched earth rebuild might actually become a literal thing.

I mean, the Wings wanted him for almost a million less than NYR paid and people used that as a fireable offense for Ken Holland.

I'm really interested in seeing how Smith does in New York. I made the comparison between him and Justin Schultz as they are very similar players. Schultz was much better in Pittsburgh, putting up a 50 point season. He totally turned his career around. Will Smith be able to do to the same in NY?

I have also been very skeptical regarding Jeff Blashill's ability to succeed at the highest level of coaching. I've also questioned his ability to develop defensemen. Alain Vigneualt is a proven coach and I wonder how much of Alexander Edler's career trajectory ties into Vigneualt's time in Vancouver. I'll never know with regard to Edler as I don't follow him closely enough. However I did follow Smith's career very closely here so it will be easy to track how he does in New York and determine if he goes through a similar transformation to what Schultz went through in Pittsburgh.

My take at this point is I don't see any reason why Smith can't be a solid offensive d-man who can blow away his career point totals to date. He's also quite comfortable playing a gritty, physical game. Can he cut down on his bone-headed plays and not be as turnover prone as he was here? This is where I think coaching can make a major impact and if Vigneault can set him up to be successful the move to New York could turn Smith's career around.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This is the first time in memory I've had absolutely zero interest in potential free agent signings. Last year was close just because I never really believed Stamkos would have any interest in coming here. This year I didn't even think about free agency until the posts began showing up here. I did like the Vanek signing at the time and that worked out well for us. I just shrugged with the Neilsen signing, it was understandable but that deal isn't gonna age well, which can be said for like 90% of the multi-year deals Holland has handed out lately. Ott was totally irrelevant, at least we got a draft pick so that's nice I guess.

I will consider free agency a massive win if we don't give out any long term contracts. That tells you how bad the current state of the franchise is right now.

My interest in free agency hit zero a couple years ago. I remember how exciting the week before FA began was. Now i just say a prayer and set my glass and bottle of Johnny Black on my desk the night before it begins.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Wonder what it would cost to get Trevor Daley here in the D. $4.5m/4 yrs? Seems like you have to spend more than anyone else because he's not going to compete for cups here.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
at this point, we can only hope that the damage is minimal and that the contract is for 2 years or less and no ntc/nmc

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That's not correct. At least in relation to Franzen. He was out for 100% of the previous season, so he's available to be on SOIR (Season Opening IR) You can exceed the cap by this. Must have been something put in for a situation like Horton or Pronger or similar in terms of LTIR. Where teams were gonna do the dance to get the space and they just said "you'd be playing that guy if he were healthy, but he's literally not ever going to play hockey again."

Yeah...I saw something about the SOIR, in a different thread, right after I wrote this. My apologies. Only would apply to Kronwall, in this case.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Does it really matter? The team is going to likely stink either way.

And if we continue to sign old players to long term deals the team is going to stink for a lot longer than it needs to. Holland needs to stop compounding our terrible cap situation.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Does it really matter? The team is going to likely stink either way.

it matters because it takes away another roster spot that should be going to one of the kids, unless they believe that kronwall is going on LTIR for the entire season

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
it matters because it takes away another roster spot that should be going to one of the kids, unless they believe that kronwall is going on LTIR for the entire season

Rebuilding has turned into: Ice a veteran team and call up the kids for a bit.

Teams that have truly rebuilded have shown trust in their development and let their kids play. The Wings let their kids play, but they still treat the team like we have Datsyuk and Z in their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad