So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
See nothing wrong with signing one of them to a 1 year deal and flipping them at the deadline. Khan said they'd only be interested in giving Daley an extra year.

We need bodies. I don't expect Kronwall or Ericsson to play 82 games. Green will also probably be traded too. Not like they'd be blocking anyone of substance. Cholo and Hronek aren't ready.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
So I have been dreaming up an off season for a while now and I will post it right now (still really upset we didn't take jad in the second, he is gonna be really good)
First off before July 1st trade Nyquist to Nashville for Frederic Allard and a 2018 1st round pick (top 5-10 protected)
Next trade howard(50% retained) and the rights of tatar for Jake bean and 2nd
That's all for trades
Free agency
Sign aa 2yr 4million
Sign sheahen 1yr 1million
Sign vanek 3 yr 8million
Sign hainsey 1 yr 2million
Then trade green at deadline for first

Mantha Z Abby
Vanek Nielson svetchnikov
Aa Larkin bertuzzi
Helm glendening sheahen

Green hainsey
Dekeyser Jensen
Ericson Russo
Kronwall

Mrazek
Jared

Top prospects
Rasmussen
Hronek
Bean
Allard
Lindstrom
Cholowski

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
So I have been dreaming up an off season for a while now and I will post it right now (still really upset we didn't take jad in the second, he is gonna be really good)
First off before July 1st trade Nyquist to Nashville for Frederic Allard and a 2018 1st round pick (top 5-10 protected)
That's all for trades
Free agency
Sign aa 2yr 4million
Sign vanek 3 yr 8million

Mantha Z Abby
Aa Larkin bertuzzi
Helm glendening sheahen

Green hainsey
Dekeyser Jensen
Ericson Russo
Kronwall

Mrazek
Jared

Top prospects
Rasmussen
Hronek
Bean
Allard
Lindstrom
Cholowski

Didn't Carolina just move and sign Darling? Thinking that is who they want for the future. If anyone looking for a goaltender...Philadelphia is probably the best bet.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That's all for trades
Free agency
Sign aa 2yr 4million
Sign vanek 3 yr 8million

Mantha Z Abby
Aa Larkin bertuzzi
Helm glendening sheahen

Green hainsey
Dekeyser Jensen
Ericson Russo
Kronwall

Mrazek
Jared

Top prospects
Rasmussen
Hronek
Bean
Allard
Lindstrom
Cholowski

Looks like a great plan to me. I'm not sure if we could pull off the 2nd+ Bean for Tats+ 50%Howard... I also don't know if I want to give Vanek a 3 year deal...regardless I like this plan more than anything I can see Kenny doing.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That's all for trades
Free agency
Sign aa 2yr 4million
Sign vanek 3 yr 8million

Mantha Z Abby
Aa Larkin bertuzzi
Helm glendening sheahen

Green hainsey
Dekeyser Jensen
Ericson Russo
Kronwall

Mrazek
Jared

Top prospects
Rasmussen
Hronek
Bean
Allard
Lindstrom
Cholowski

Carolina just acquired and signed Scott Darling, So i doubt Francis has any interest in Howard at 50% off then.

And Sheahan is making $2.075 million this year and has one more year as a RFA. So a 1 year $1 million deal isn't happening at the very least it would've to be 1 year $2.5 million contract.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
There's no lol to it. He's better than most of "real" defensemen Holland kept. :)

Smith is the exactly the type of player you look at and go "I think he needs a change of scenery...."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Okay. Who were the four ahead of him? I'll give you Green. Dekeyser was better defensively, but not on offense.
Some 4-player combination of Kronwall/Dekeyser/Green/Ericsson/Quincey has always been better than Smith for us apart from that year right after Lidstrom left where we had to play Kindl-Smith as our 2nd pairing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Smith had 9 points last year, he had 5 in 33 games with the Wings.

And a career high of a whopping 19 points. Dekeyser for reference has three seasons above 20 points.

With Smith people may see offensive potential but it never really translates to scoring, in great part because his decision-making can be so poor that his coaches don't trust him.

Plus he's 28 years old. It's easy to forget that. I don't see him turning into much else, and certainly not in Detroit.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Hang on a tick. Vegas is trying to get rid of defensemen. Why are we going UFA?

We certainly could have afforded what Methot got VGK from Dallas. And, he's certainly better than that motley crew Khan listed.

Would Trevor Van Riemsdyk be that much worse than, let's say, Del Zotto?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
NYR is about to pay Brendan Freaking Smith a 4 year deal worth 4.35 Million a year lol

Total crisis averted. Holland was supposedly going to offer him 3.5 million.

I will say, all this talk about us picking up Dmen make me wonder if Holland and Kronwall already know he's going on LTIR. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to even consider these moves/make them possible.

Okay. Who were the four ahead of him? I'll give you Green. Dekeyser was better defensively, but not on offense.

There was a quote a few weeks back when I was still lurking that said it best: Smith may look good skating on the ice, but in the end, he produces similar to Ericsson in terms of offense.

Dekeyser has more 20 point seasons than Smith already, and has one more 30 point season than Smith will likely ever have. The same false narrative follows around Jensen and XO. People think Jensen drives play due to his skating, but the reality is XO has produced more at every single level, and at a younger age. And yet, you will still find people argue that Jensen produces more offense on the rush than XO, when it is just literally untrue. It's not an opinion. For all his "flash", Smith ultimately produced very little. If he was half as good as some of these posters claimed, he wouldn't have been getting scratched semi regularly (by two coaches) for one of the worst defensive cores in recent memory.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nick Jensen and Brendan Smith are not offensive, but they both excel at carrying the puck due to their skating.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
There's no lol to it. He's better than most of "real" defensemen Holland kept. :)

that's more of an indictment on smith. worst defense in the league by a wide margin and couldn't even crack the top 4 consistently. now that's LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad