So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Shattenkirk at $5M for just 4-5 years? Tatar at $3M? Are we just trying to be combative with these terrible estimates?

I wouldn't cry over MDZ or Kulikov - they still might have some tricks up their sleeve - but Id only welcome an old defenseman on a 1 year deal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know this isn't what Holland likely has in mind, but I'd look at Simon Despres and see if his concussion issues have been put behind him a bit. I'd look at Nikita Nesterov and Joe Morrow, too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
MCilrath should be one of them. He played really good for the Griffins and if the team is looking to get bigger/tougher to play against, hes a good one to start with. Cant be any worse tahn Ericcson or Kronwall

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
MCilrath should be one of them. He played really good for the Griffins and if the team is looking to get bigger/tougher to play against, hes a good one to start with. Cant be any worse tahn Ericcson or Kronwall

Oh but he can, he's a fine AHL player, but he has shown to be literally worthless at the NHL level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is Holland. The GM that signs players for one last stop before retirement.

Expect Girardi and Markov to get 3 year deals.

This new era of Holland did act pretty much diffefent at last season. You remember 3 sold UFAs?

But memory is short, can't help with that.

Kenny is gonna sign and trade. Sign and trade. Sign and trade.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oh but he can, he's a fine AHL player, but he has shown to be literally worthless at the NHL level.

Except the only shot he got rangers fans liked him and thought he should keep playig to see what he has. Hes only 24, most D wouldnt have even played in the NHL for Detroit at that age.

And when he played with the rangers he hadnt had as impressive of a time in the AHL leading up to it like he just had on that calder run

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
This new era of Holland did act pretty much diffefent at last season. You remember 3 sold UFAs?

Do you honestly see any of those d-men we're "targeting" accepting one year deals?

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Nah guys you got it wrong. Kenny Holland is gonna make a pitch for Marleau and Thornton with bonus laden contracts. Contracts with ridiculous bonuses like double the money for playing 10 games. Don't worry, the cap overage penalty can be passed over to next season!

Holland don't give a damn about defence. Howard was shown the D is full of superstars. Defence? What fairy world do you live in? We need goals, goals, goals!

Marleau/Thornton will solve everything!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Our defense is old and slow lets sign more of those guys! Giradi is so bad NYR would pay you to take him.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Do you honestly see any of those d-men we're "targeting" accepting one year deals?

I can see Brian Campbell and Giradi getting one year deals before I can see any team offering them a multi year deal. These are not hot commodities

Sure it's been mentioned before, but do you think this means Kronwall is going LTIR? Otherwise we don't have the cap space

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Yes, I know, set aside the general suggestion that any signing makes the Wings better and thwarts the goal of Utter Desolation for Picks.

It has nothing to do with picks and everything to do with the fact that there isn't a defenseman available who would:

a) sign with Detroit
b) sign a contract Detroit can afford without major contract movement
c) improve the team in a meaningful way

So why sign anyone? Just to sign them? Are you, the defender of all that is the Illitch's collective pocketbook, really advocating they just throw away a few million dollars on an irrelevant piece?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Nah guys you got it wrong. Kenny Holland is gonna make a pitch for Marleau and Thornton with bonus laden contracts. Contracts with ridiculous bonuses like double the money for playing 10 games. Don't worry, the cap overage penalty can be passed over to next season!

Holland don't give a damn about defence. Howard was shown the D is full of superstars. Defence? What fairy world do you live in? We need goals, goals, goals!

Marleau/Thornton will solve everything!

Holland is that you!?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It doesn't have to be that way. Sign new guys in, trade away current guys.

For example, we have pretty much ~5M in capspace, when Tatar/Athanasiou/Ouellet are signed. Also QO for Frk.

Then we sign Trevor Daley, for 4.75M, 3-years.

Kronwall goes to LTIR. We have more cap space in use.

Then we sign Girardi, for 2.5M, 2 years. He will earn 1.1M per year from Rangers buyout, so he would be happy with 3.6M combined.

We will have:

DeKeyser - Green
Daley - Girardi
Ericsson - Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul

- We start the season with 8 defencemen, and at some point of the season, we trade Sproul for a 3rd rounder.
- at trade Deadline we trade Green for a 1st rounder. We call up Russo.

after trade deadline:

DeKeyser - Jensen
Daley - Girardi
Ericsson - Ouellet/Russo

+ 1st and 3rd rounder.

Just an example, doesn't have be those specific guys. Last trade deadline proved, that trading defencemen is the best way to hoard more draft picks, and that's a good plan to go.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
It doesn't have to be that way. Sign new guys in, trade away current guys.

For example, we have pretty much ~5M in capspace, when Tatar/Athanasiou/Ouellet are signed. Also QO for Frk.

Then we sign Trevor Daley, for 4.75M, 3-years.

Kronwall goes to LTIR. We have more cap space in use.

Then we sign Girardi, for 2.5M, 2 years. He will earn 1.1M per year from Rangers buyout, so he would be happy with 3.6M combined.

We will have:

DeKeyser - Green
Daley - Girardi
Ericsson - Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul

- We start the season with 8 defencemen, and at some point of the season, we trade Sproul for a 3rd rounder.
- at trade Deadline we trade Green for a 1st rounder. We call up Russo.

after trade deadline:

DeKeyser - Jensen
Daley - Girardi
Ericsson - Ouellet/Russo

+ 1st and 3rd rounder.

Just an example, doesn't have be those specific guys. Last trade deadline proved, that trading defencemen is the best way to hoard more draft picks, and that's a good plan to go.

Ken Holland is still the GM. :laugh:

Even on a serious note, don't see us doing much more than moving Green at the deadline. Also, depends on the offensive output for him. I know this upcoming draft has much better top end talent, but how is it after those guys? Green would fetch a late 1st...is talent strong there? *I'm not opposed to moving him, but would he really bring in a 1st in a really deep draft*

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Even on a serious note, don't see us doing much more than moving Green at the deadline. Also, depends on the offensive output for him. I know this upcoming draft has much better top end talent, but how is it after those guys? Green would fetch a late 1st...is talent strong there? *I'm not opposed to moving him, but would he really bring in a 1st in a really deep draft*

Ken Holland sold Tomas Jurco for 3rd rounder. What makes you act that he can't do same for Sproul, if there is interest?

He also sold, Ott, Vanek and Smith, all UFAs. Same destiny is calling for Green.

Hoard new players and you hoard extra draft picks at next deadline.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ken Holland sold Tomas Jurco for 3rd rounder. What makes you act that he can't do same for Sproul, if there is interest?

He also sold, Ott, Vanek and Smith, all UFAs. Same destiny is calling for Green.

Hoard new players and you hoard extra draft picks at next deadline.

They were all in the last year of their contract.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Green won't resign here next summer

He has to be moved at the deadline.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Holland is going to drastically overpay for Girardi.

I wouldn't hate a 1 year deal. Anything longer than 1 year though will be a mistake.

A logical decision: 1 year, 3.5 million
Ken Hollond logic: 4 years, 18 million

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Our UFA signings were terrible last year except for Vanek, what are you even talking about?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Holland is going to drastically overpay for Girardi.

I wouldn't hate a 1 year deal. Anything longer than 1 year though will be a mistake.

A logical decision: 1 year, 3.5 million
Ken Hollond logic: 4 years, 18 million

That's how I'm seeing it, too. Regardless of who we go after, it should be for just a year. While it's really unlikely that Taveras and Fowler hit the open market next year, I'd at least want the cap space available to try for them.

It'd be different if any of the guys available this year were game changers who would seriously alter the look of the club, but they're not. It'd be stupid to rope into any of these guys beyond a year, unless we're getting Shattenkirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad