Speculation: Smith injured Again- Edmonton just got more desperate for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Cary Price at 5.25 million is still the 3rd highest paid goalie in the NHL. Hes not even a top 10 goalie and will only decline more as time goes on.
HUGE PASS.
Hopefully, they can pick up MAF this year and then back the money truck up to Jack Campbells house this summer.

????

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
shoe on the other foot, why should CHI blink and make MAF available for less?

this decision is not market driven
CHI has to decide is it worth more to deal him or not? And if yes, only for a minimum of what price?

That would only make sense if he had a) term or b? Chicago had a chance at a wild card spot. This situations is neither.

2nd round > UFA walking on a non-playoff. There's not even a debate to be had on this.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
CHICAGO CANT RETAIN ANYTHING - they are at the cap ceiling - and if you WAIT UNTIL the deadline where CAP is not as much of an issue - then that kind of destroys the point of getting a goalie like fleury to "help you get into the playoffs"

If they are trading Fleury for Koskinen to get assets they can literally retain Fleury down to Koskinen's cap hit since since they move out 7 and pickup 4.5

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
most logical - would be something like

Koskinen 4.5
2nd 2023
Foegele 2.75
TOTAL= 7.25

for

Mrazek 3.8
Ritchie 2.5
Engvall 1.25
TOTAL = 7.55

Oilers get a #1 with term and decent number and cost certainty
Oilers get someone who can play 3C or 4C for them in Engvall and can PK
- Ritchie can/would be a wildcard (def better than Turris)

Leafs get pick and Foegele - Koskinen is a complete cap dump

Logical for whom? I'd rather keep Koskinen and let him walk as a UFA than tie myself for 3 years to an oft-injuried backup goalie. LMAO at calling Mrazek a #1

Ricthie cleared waivers and you want us to give you McLovin and add a 2nd? Nice joke

Reactions: spaghtti

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Mike Smith is injured again, reports are coming out that its non covid related and could possibly be a lingering issue from the same injury that has caused him to miss lots of games this year.

Edmonton needs goalie help ASAP as I dont think they are willing to throw another Mcdavid year down the drain.

Whos is realistically available and at what price?

I heard Cloutier might be available. I dont think he is a goalie coach right now, maybe he is free to lace it up for you guys. He is younger than Smith I think or at least looks younger.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Chicago is not really a “rival” considering they’re the 3rd worst team in the division and are likely selling expiring contracts this year (Fleury, Kubalik etc). Fleury’s contract is also pretty big and he was traded for literally nothing this offseason.
They don’t really have any intangibles to get a top tier goalie. Especially from a conference rival

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Georgiev should be your man.

hes like a different goalie when he gets regular playing time, and can be had for cheap because as a backup, his numbers aren’t great.

do yourself a favor and look at his stats when gets a few games in a row.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Trolling or do you really think this has a tinkers chance in hell of happening? I could guess, but I’m dying to hear you try and justify this.
Let me guess....only your opinion counts over everyone else.

Edmonton is desperate for a goaltender. Leafs need a top 4 D man.

But hey, only your opinion counts right?

Typical HF poster.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nobody is "dumping" Price.
You trade for him.
And nobody is asking for a "McDavid" type of value. You're speculating/not reading what others said.

And you're trade offer was f***ing ridiculous, enough to be quoted.

A 50% Price is a 5,25M Price which would be an incredible contract.
You should know better about what's a bad contract: your team pays more than 4M a year for Koskinen and 9.25M for Darnell freaking Nurse.

Even without the contract, he's, by far, the best goalie available and if you want to try your luck in the playoffs, you'll have to roll the dice at some point. At 5,25M, Price should be a no brainer to a team with question marks between the pipes.
Otherwise anyway, who else is on the table? Which teams will agree to trade you their promising goalie prospect?
Nobody, that's who.
We tank and Price will be too old after the rebuild but your team is supposed to compete RIGHT NOW, unless I am missing something?

1) Go see in the Price to the Sharks thread . If it was one person saying it you would have a good point but when it pretty much every fan base you have to question your own reasoning .

2) Yes we do know about bad contracts it why we want to stay miles away from Price .

3) We will trade you Klefbom . He by far the best left D available and it should be a no brainer as you need defence . See how riculous that is ? Klebom has played a game in 2 years so he a question mark . Price hasn't played a game this year and have issue with substance abuse .

Also it is the asking price for Price at 50% has to be considered . Edmonton is trading 2 or 3 high end prospects as we have other holes that these kids may be able to fill .Also Montreal is unlike to retain 50%.

4) Read everything I said and you will see I said if he comes back and is playing at a high level that chances everything . No one , I repeat no one is taking Price until he proves he can play at a high level . His last 4 regular season his SV% is the same as Koskinen's . Going by Montreal fans you guys had a much better defence . I know the argument will be ,Price is a playoff beast . Consider for a minute that Edmonton my not make the playoffs because Koskinen isn't good enough . Now if Price and Koskinen SV% is equal over the last 4 year we probably don't make the playoffs with Price . So why are we going to make a deal ?

I will count offer my first post . Nurse for Price straight up . We then can go after another LD . I think Arizona has one available .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Cary Price at 5.25 million is still the 3rd highest paid goalie in the NHL. Hes not even a top 10 goalie and will only decline more as time goes on.
HUGE PASS.
Hopefully, they can pick up MAF this year and then back the money truck up to Jack Campbells house this summer.
LMAO! You just disqualified yourself from posting...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Price is NOT AN OPTION FOR EDMONTON

either

a) montreal retains no salary - and then it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit him in cap wise

or

b) Montreal does retain - but if they are its for 4 years! which means the cost to acquire him is going to be insane - if you want to get a HOF goalie at 5M

The post above sums up the reality of a Price to Edmonton deal. Nothing more really needs to be said. This thread should be closed. Price to Edmonton ain't ever happening!

Reactions: spaghtti

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Also, why is a "Smith Injury" a big deal? He barely an NHL starter. Losing a terrible goaltender makes not difference to the Oilers situation.

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
1) Go see in the Price to the Sharks thread . If it was one person saying it you would have a good point but when it pretty much every fan base you have to question your own reasoning .

2) Yes we do know about bad contracts it why we want to stay miles away from Price .

3) We will trade you Klefbom . He by far the best left D available and it should be a no brainer as you need defence . See how riculous that is ? Klebom has played a game in 2 years so he a question mark . Price hasn't played a game this year and have issue with substance abuse .

Also it is the asking price for Price at 50% has to be considered . Edmonton is trading 2 or 3 high end prospects as we have other holes that these kids may be able to fill .Also Montreal is unlike to retain 50%.

4) Read everything I said and you will see I said if he comes back and is playing at a high level that chances everything . No one , I repeat no one is taking Price until he proves he can play at a high level . His last 4 regular season his SV% is the same as Koskinen's . Going by Montreal fans you guys had a much better defence . I know the argument will be ,Price is a playoff beast . Consider for a minute that Edmonton my not make the playoffs because Koskinen isn't good enough . Now if Price and Koskinen SV% is equal over the last 4 year we probably don't make the playoffs with Price . So why are we going to make a deal ?

I will count offer my first post . Nurse for Price straight up . We then can go after another LD . I think Arizona has one available .

You are out of your mind. I don't think any other Oiler fan, or hockey pundit, or hockey GM would ever make this trade.

Rare misfire for you, Supes.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Georgiev should be your man.

hes like a different goalie when he gets regular playing time, and can be had for cheap because as a backup, his numbers aren’t great.

do yourself a favor and look at his stats when gets a few games in a row.
No thanks,he's no better then what we have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad