Speculation: Smith injured Again- Edmonton just got more desperate for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So that predictable thing that everyone thought would happen, happened. Again.

Koskinen really shouldn't be that hard to offload at the deadline. Question is if Kenny is actually going to spend real assets to fix the problem long term or pick up another mediocre bandaid type solution like Halak. Which really wouldn't be all that different than the Smith/Koskinen tandem they have now.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Price is NOT AN OPTION FOR EDMONTON

either

a) montreal retains no salary - and then it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit him in cap wise

or

b) Montreal does retain - but if they are its for 4 years! which means the cost to acquire him is going to be insane - if you want to get a HOF goalie at 5M

Reactions: bernmeister

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
and another funny thing is some people think playing Skinner and his 5 NHL wins is a solution hahahah

It's obviously not a solution for now, but it's very likely the solution for the future. He'll almost guaranteed start next season in a backup/1B role.

Anyways, you're obviously just being a troll, so not sure why I'm even responding.

Reactions: spaghtti

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody is "dumping" Price.
You trade for him.
And nobody is asking for a "McDavid" type of value. You're speculating/not reading what others said.

And you're trade offer was f***ing ridiculous, enough to be quoted.

A 50% Price is a 5,25M Price which would be an incredible contract.
You should know better about what's a bad contract: your team pays more than 4M a year for Koskinen and 9.25M for Darnell freaking Nurse.

Even without the contract, he's, by far, the best goalie available and if you want to try your luck in the playoffs, you'll have to roll the dice at some point. At 5,25M, Price should be a no brainer to a team with question marks between the pipes.
Otherwise anyway, who else is on the table? Which teams will agree to trade you their promising goalie prospect?
Nobody, that's who.
We tank and Price will be too old after the rebuild but your team is supposed to compete RIGHT NOW, unless I am missing something?

I'd be willing to realistically offer

EDM 1st + Lavoie (heating up in the AHL, 6 goals in his last 7 games, big body center) + 1 cap piece (Kassian or Barrie)

for

Price @significant salary retained.

Even at 5.25 there's still risk with Price. He's coming off a surgery. He's had some kind of addiction issue it sounds like so who knows how that impacts him, but there is risk there too.

And beyond that there is length on the deal, still another 5 years is a long time if it turns out his knee is shot or his addiction issues continue to be a problem.

Of course the upside is there, but it has to be factored in here also.

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
Would be nice, but not sure if it's worth the extra assets that would cost. We'd be going into next season with two inexperienced goaltenders in Swayman and Skinner. I'd probably prefer someone with a bit more experience, which would also likely be cheaper to acquire. Why would Boston move Swayman anyway?
agree. I don't think they would move him unless Rask and Ullmark are going to be there for the next three years. Swayman is a luxury for them and as I stated if the net is covered for the next 2-3 years then i think you investigate moving him to fill a more urgent need on the roster.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
From Montreal's perspective

What is my motivation to pay Carey Price half of his Salary (5.25M) counting against my own cap??????

is the answer Lavoie and a pick? I dont think so

or I can just keep him on my team
or if he's unable to play - I LTIR him and he doesnt count against my cap/ability to build my team for the next 4 years

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Any sort of conversation of Price at 50% retained automatically will require at least one of

Bouchard or Puljujarvi

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Cary Price at 5.25 million is still the 3rd highest paid goalie in the NHL. Hes not even a top 10 goalie and will only decline more as time goes on.
HUGE PASS.
Hopefully, they can pick up MAF this year and then back the money truck up to Jack Campbells house this summer.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Cary Price at 5.25 million is still the 3rd highest paid goalie in the NHL. Hes not even a top 10 goalie and will only decline more as time goes on.
HUGE PASS.
Hopefully, they can pick up MAF this year and then back the money truck up to Jack Campbells house this summer.
with what money?

they are paying a #4 defender 9.25 M next year and havent signed Puljujarvi either

Reactions: kevrondl

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Overpay the Coyotes for Vejmelka. Has to be a solid overpayment because he is affordable and they really have no reason to trade him.

His save percentage against the Jets in 2 games this year has been phenomenal. Small sample size but he’s sure impressed me on that tire fire team. Would love him as Hellebuyck’s backup

Reactions: InTheBox

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Overpay the Coyotes for Vejmelka. Has to be a solid overpayment because he is affordable and they really have no reason to trade him.

I mean what defines an "overpayment"? Skinner has better NHL numbers than Vejmelka this year, if the ask for Vejmelka is reasonable OK, but if it's like a 1st ... you might as well just play Skinner.

If the Oilers want a buy low option, probably the best bet is if Vancouver slides a bit, maybe taking a flyer on Halak. Halak is better than Koskinen and maybe Smith can give you some back up games.

Reactions: ujju2

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
CHICAGO CANT RETAIN ANYTHING - they are at the cap ceiling - and if you WAIT UNTIL the deadline where CAP is not as much of an issue - then that kind of destroys the point of getting a goalie like fleury to "help you get into the playoffs"

Chicago retaining at 36% makes the salaries a wash.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

EDM 1st + Lavoie (heating up in the AHL, 6 goals in his last 7 games, big body center) + 1 cap piece (Kassian or Barrie)

for

Even at 5.25 there's still risk with Price. He's coming off a surgery. He's had some kind of addiction issue it sounds like so who knows how that impacts him, but there is risk there too.

And beyond that there is length on the deal, still another 5 years is a long time if it turns out his knee is shot or his addiction issues continue to be a problem.

Of course the upside is there, but it has to be factored in here also.

This is much more reasonnable.
As a basis, I'd agree, with twerks here and there to balance it for everyone

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

for

It's similar to what I proposed, but with conditions on the 1st based on playoff wins. I had Barrie in there instead of Kassian. I'd even be willing to add another conditional 1st, dependent on if the Oilers win the cup in the next 2 years.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Any sort of conversation of Price at 50% retained automatically will require at least one of

Bouchard or Puljujarvi
Get real. Price even at 50% is a huge risk. I mean which Carey Price are we getting?? The really great 2016, 2018 Carey Price, the really bad 2017, 2019 Carey Price, or the mediocre then went Supernova in playoffs 2020 Price who has since gone to rehab and hasn’t played a game all year Carey Price? He will be 38 when his contract ends too. He is a total boat anchor without retention and a huge risk with it, which is why Habs fans are pimping him out like CRAZY. You know it. Don’t think the rest of the league doesn’t know it too.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
boston will need to add at least a first to move him

He is not a good goalie

Ullmarks a fine goalie. Little wild in the crease, but he is quite good & fairly young.

Not sure why the B’s would add a first to move him to a team that legit needs goaltending help lol

they aren’t trading any of their goalies IMO

Should have ponied up when they moved Vladar in the off-season

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Ullmarks a fine goalie. Little wild in the crease, but he is quite good & fairly young.

Not sure why the B’s would add a first to move him to a team that legit needs goaltending help lol

they aren’t trading any of their goalies IMO

Should have ponied up when they moved Vladar in the off-season

I forgot how much is Ulmark making? 2 or 2.5 per year?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
HUGE PASS.

Yes, at 5.25M he would be 3rd highest paid behind only Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky, Fleury, Gibson, Murray, Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Binnington, Brubauer, Quick, and Shesterkin...

Why even bother saying something this dumb when its so easily disproven?

Reactions: Son of Petter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad