Speculation: Smith injured Again- Edmonton just got more desperate for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What would it take for the Oilers to get John Gibson this summer? I think the Ducks deal him in the offseason if they do.
ducks aren't going to give up Gibson now that we're finally turning the corner on the rebuild. also i hope they aren't interested in helping the Oilers out unless it's a MASSIVE overpayment.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
I feel sorry for the Oilers to some extent.

Getting a good goalie is hard to do. Getting a great goalie even harder.

Options out there right now are not great. Every team knows the Oilers are desperate too.

Edmonton will have to overpay for a goalie from any team at the moment.

When you consider cap space it is even more difficult for them. They pretty much have to include Koskinen in any trade and most see this as a cap dump. Which means Edmonton has to give up more.

Granted with Koskinen his cap hit is only for half a season. Yet most teams think they have a better back up than him.

Probably a lot cheaper too.

Edmonton is probably wise to wait till next season to get a goalie. They will at least have the koskinen money to spend for a goalie then without giving up assets. If there is a decent ufa goalie out there.

Fans want to win now. That is how bad hockey decisions are normally made.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I feel sorry for the Oilers to some extent.

Getting a good goalie is hard to do. Getting a great goalie even harder.

Options out there right now are not great. Every team knows the Oilers are desperate too.

Edmonton will have to overpay for a goalie from any team at the moment.

When you consider cap space it is even more difficult for them. They pretty much have to include Koskinen in any trade and most see this as a cap dump. Which means Edmonton has to give up more.

Granted with Koskinen his cap hit is only for half a season. Yet most teams think they have a better back up than him.

Probably a lot cheaper too.

Edmonton is probably wise to wait till next season to get a goalie. They will at least have the koskinen money to spend for a goalie then without giving up assets. If there is a decent ufa goalie out there.

Fans want to win now. That is how bad hockey decisions are normally made.

underline: sure, but you are minimizing your chances for this season.
Of course that said, it depends on what the upgrade is and what cost.

Bold: True. Might change "normally" to "often" but true.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Allen is a very good back up but no way he is a good starter. He may be a short term starter but you should never use Allen as your #1 goalie.

I like Allen and I find Allen seems to thrive in scramble situations. Some of his scramble saves are bonkers. I don't find he does as well behind a system with a stifling shot strategy so I think Allen would do well in Edmonton's system.

I can agree he's more a platoon than legit starter, but he's worth considering as a platoon with Koskinen if Smith is out and skinner isn't the desired solution. But yeah, he'd be more like a plan C.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think we should have any interest in Allen at all. He's more of what we have already - a decent goalie that's just not cut out to start 40 games.

Fair, I was basically saying that Allen is most likely to be some of the better available goalies. Availability of goalies just doesn't seem to favor the Oilers right now.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Allen isn't the answer. Too many issues to fix this year. Call it a year. Get new management in asap and see what they can do this off-season. Maybe this time don't bring in washed up old guys like Holland

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Markstrom for Draisaitl. The funny thing is it would actually make the Oilers better.

xxsciroccoxx

Dec 17, 2010
Either way they have more win then Price . :banana:

Pretty stupid reply. But that's what you do...

I'd also be upset it 2 people liked my comments and 63 liked the comment dissing me. :laugh:

Also, it's than, not then. :thumbu:

And lastly, Habs have more playoff wins in the past two years than the Oilers even with your 17 1st overall picks :D

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
ducks aren't going to give up Gibson now that we're finally turning the corner on the rebuild. also i hope they aren't interested in helping the Oilers out unless it's a MASSIVE overpayment.

But I bet you if Draisaitl asked for a trade tomorrow and the Oilers offered the Ducks him in a Draisatl for Gibson+ trade, the Ducks would be listening for sure.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
They should be in the market for a leader because McDavid is the definition of incompetent leader and failure at this point in his career.

Unless Grant Fuhr is available, rotating different goalies in the crease won't mean jack squat if the team and its Captain don't compete and play some defensive hockey. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad