Speculation: Smith injured Again- Edmonton just got more desperate for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yes, at 5.25M he would be 3rd highest paid behind only Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky, Fleury, Gibson, Murray, Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Binnington, Brubauer, Quick, and Shesterkin...

Why even bother saying something this dumb when its so easily disproven?
I'll own that one. Rough night before :baghead:

Reactions: Prairie Habs

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You are right it’s not easy. I was more thinking start with a backup who’s better than koskinen .

Strangely Kosk is actually a pretty good backup. The problem is the Oilers keep using him as a starter which he is not good at. We need a starter. Not another backup

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Strangely Kosk is actually a pretty good backup. The problem is the Oilers keep using him as a starter which he is not good at. We need a starter. Not another backup
Well being forced into starting him as smith is alway injured. Probably doesn’t help you’re paying$4M for him either. The tricky part will be finding a starting caliber goalie in-season. So maybe insulating with another solid backup option to help the rest of this season.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Well being forced into starting him as smith is alway injured. Probably doesn’t help you’re paying$4M for him either. The tricky part will be finding a starting caliber goalie in-season. So maybe insulating with another solid backup option to help the rest of this season.

It would be better than nothing at this point

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I bet there'll be good goalies traded at the deadline. Right now is tricky. Theres too much hope for teams to make the post season still. Plus it usually takes an expiring deadline to get things really rolling

As an Oiler fan I'd actually be okay with trading extra value to get a real target and not a compromise. So, a deal where the Oilers lose it. Idk maybe it is more prudent to wait for Smith and hope he can tide things over till the deadline.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Geo is a fit but Kosk to NY is only as a cap dump which you have to pay us to take, like I said a la carte pricing. We have better backups than Kosk.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Geo is a fit but Kosk to NY is only as a cap dump which you have to pay us to take, like I said a la carte pricing. We have better backups than Kosk.

Sure as part of a deal. The Oilers are not paying much though. He only has 1/2 a season left on his contract.

Reactions: TFHockey

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Oilers back themselves into a corner. No netminding doesn't matter how much fire p0wer they have
The thing is, teams aren't going to collude to stop Edmonton from getting a goalie. A team will make a trade for what is best for their team, not to get the most possible value for the league.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
With all frustrated player and management right now. They need to do some changes before a guy like Mcdavid or Draisaitl ask a trade.
I really think the owner need to talk with these 2 players to choose what they really want. If they want some quick change (coach and little trade) or a big change (big trade and GM). They need to make it clear quickly and move as quick as possible

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The thing is, teams aren't going to collude to stop Edmonton from getting a goalie. A team will make a trade for what is best for their team, not to get the most possible value for the league.

True, but at the same time, based on the recent market for goalies, I think the Oilers will have a heck of a time finding another team to easily pry a top 20 starter from. Most of those guys are either untouchables on their team or have recently moved to that team (ie: Toronto, Calgary, Carolina, Seattle, Colorado etc.) and are unlikely to be moved so soon after signing with that team. Chicago, NYI and Montreal might be the closest in potentially being able to offer something in the realm of what Edmonton wants, but they're all also in situations where they look like they aren't really in dire need to make a move at all.

The market for goalies is also suddenly extra shallow at the moment due to the recent loss of quite a few top tier goalies in the last 2-3 seasons due to longer~ish to potential career ending injury or retirement (ie: Lundqvist, Bishop, Price, Rask "ish" etc.).

The Oilers are looking at a potential Koskinen upgrade. But based on overall teams needs, it's literally seems like one of the crappiest times in recent history to be looking for a deal like that.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I bet there'll be good goalies traded at the deadline. Right now is tricky. Theres too much hope for teams to make the post season still. Plus it usually takes an expiring deadline to get things really rolling

As an Oiler fan I'd actually be okay with trading extra value to get a real target and not a compromise. So, a deal where the Oilers lose it. Idk maybe it is more prudent to wait for Smith and hope he can tide things over till the deadline.
If you don't take action soon and wait until the deadline, it may be too late.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
True, but at the same time, based on the recent market for goalies, I think the Oilers will have a heck of a time finding another team to easily pry a top 20 starter from. Most of those guys are either untouchables on their team or have recently moved to that team (ie: Toronto, Calgary, Carolina, Seattle, Colorado etc.) and are unlikely to be moved so soon after signing with that team. Chicago, NYI and Montreal might be the closest in potentially being able to offer something in the realm of what Edmonton wants, but they're all also in situations where they look like they aren't really in dire need to make a move at all.

The market for goalies is also suddenly extra shallow at the moment due to the recent loss of quite a few top tier goalies in the last 2-3 seasons due to longer~ish to potential career ending injury or retirement (ie: Lundqvist, Bishop, Price, Rask "ish" etc.).

The Oilers are looking at a potential Koskinen upgrade. But based on overall teams needs, it's literally seems like one of the crappiest times in recent history to be looking for a deal like that.
Take Price out of the picture. I don't think he will play this year.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Take Price out of the picture. I don't think he will play this year.

I don't think Edmonton would go for Price when I mentioned Montreal. I'm talking about Allen. Price was mentioned in the sentence about the recent loss of top tier talent in the NHL. I agree that I don't think Price is returning any time soon, but I think he will ultimately return.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you don't take action soon and wait until the deadline, it may be too late.

It's probably already too late TBH.

We've got some games in hand, but we're 7 points out of a playoff spot in our division and 6 points out of a wildcard spot and we've got teams like Florida, Tampa, Washington, Florida again, Minnesota, Vegas, and Carolina coming up in the next month or so.

If we can somehow survive February our March/April schedule is softer with lots of division matchups so there's a chance there but this season has already gone sideways on us.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think Edmonton would go for Price when I mentioned Montreal. I'm talking about Allen. Price was mentioned in the sentence about the recent loss of top tier talent in the NHL.
Allen is a very good back up but no way he is a good starter. He may be a short term starter but you should never use Allen as your #1 goalie.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Allen is a very good back up but no way he is a good starter. He may be a short term starter but you should never use Allen as your #1 goalie.

I don't think we should have any interest in Allen at all. He's more of what we have already - a decent goalie that's just not cut out to start 40 games.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Husso! He is playing better than Binnington right now, which could hurt down the road. We will take a first! Our goal tending depth is crazy deep!

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What would it take for the Oilers to get John Gibson this summer? I think the Ducks deal him in the offseason if they do.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What would it take for the Oilers to get John Gibson this summer? I think the Ducks deal him in the offseason if they do.
Why would the Ducks want to trade their only legitimate goalie? They are not that far from competing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad