Proposal: Skinner to NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
I love when posters make uninformed posts in attempts to support their point. BM is on fire.

Why does he only play 16 minutes per game? I love when people spit out stats without understanding the reason behind them. Why would a team be enticed to trade for a top winger who could only play 16 mins per game.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Why does he only play 16 minutes per game? I love when people spit out stats without understanding the reason behind them. Why would a team be enticed to trade for a top winger who could only play 16 mins per game.

I don't know, why would a team be enticed to trade for a guy who scored 8 goals last year and got a bunch of healthy scratches in the playoffs?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

:laugh: I love your backtracking in this thread. First it was he was only the leading scorer because he's getting prime minutes. When it was shown how uninformed you are with that statement (thus your position invalidated), you now do a 180 and say "well, why would he only get 16 min. / game".

Please, BM, keep it up. This is so very entertaining. I think my favorite was the "don't be shocked if he gets traded for a 3/4 defensement" followed by the "I never said he'd get traded for a 3/4 defensement" followed by the "semantics" excuse. Love it.

As I said, you are on fire. :laugh:

Keep it up! This is like taking candy from a baby.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
:laugh: I love your backtracking in this thread. First it was he was only the leading scorer because he's getting prime minutes. When it was shown how uninformed you are with that statement (thus your position invalidated), you now do a 180 and say "well, why would he only get 16 min. / game".

Please, BM, keep it up. This is so very entertaining. I think my favorite was the "don't be shocked if he gets traded for a 3/4 defensement" followed by the "I never said he'd get traded for a 3/4 defensement" followed by the "semantics" excuse. Love it.

As I said, you are on fire. :laugh:

Keep it up! This is like taking candy from a baby.
Ok I'll keep it up. Other than Carolina fans, no one values skinner too high. Thems the facts and good luck finding a neutral fan who thinks he's nothing more than a decent winger.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know, why would a team be enticed to trade for a guy who scored 8 goals last year and got a bunch of healthy scratches in the playoffs?

Every single one of his goals was highlight quality. Way better than those Messi and Ronaldo videos. The ad revenue generated from the 30 second "Strome's Goals of 2015-16" youtube clip would more than offset Grabovski's salary. Twenty eight goals is the new eight goals anyway....

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
Every single one of his goals was highlight quality. Way better than those Messi and Ronaldo videos. The ad revenue generated from the 30 second "Strome's Goals of 2015-16" youtube clip would more than offset Grabovski's salary. Twenty eight goals is the new eight goals anyway....

When there's nothing else to do, post soccer info.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
you can agree, disagree, fly a kite for all i care. i meant what i said his defensive game has improved greatly compared to it being virtually non existent before last season. He is no jordan staal but for player of his size and ability he has improved greatly i don't see the issue.

No need to get all bent out of shape. The issue is that's not what you said. You didn't say it improved greatly, you said "he has developed great defensive ability". That's just not true. Yes, he improved tremendously from previous years and I don't disagree with that at all, but he was atrocious defensively previous years. So while he's improved to where he is decent defensively, he doesn't have "great defensive ability". To me, saying one has "great defensive ability" means he's among the best in the league, and Skinner is not in that category right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ok I'll keep it up. Other than Carolina fans, no one values skinner too high. Thems the facts and good luck finding a neutral fan who thinks he's nothing more than a decent winger.

Facts? I think you need to look up the definition of that word. :laugh:

Of course, there were a number of other (no Canes) fans in this thread that said it was a bad proposal, but I guess those don't fit your narrative right? Answer me this. If no one values Skinner, how come there are almost weekly threads from teams asking to trade for him?

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
Facts? I think you need to look up the definition of that word. :laugh:

Of course, there were a number of other (no Canes) fans in this thread that said it was a bad proposal, but I guess those don't fit your narrative right? Answer me this. If no one values Skinner, how come there are almost weekly threads from teams asking to trade for him?

There are proposals. Do you agree with any of them?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There are proposals. Do you agree with any of them?

How is that relevant to his value? Do you agree with any Tavares proposals on the trade board? Did you agree with any Hamonic proposals over the years?

"Fact" is, fans only make proposals for players they value and want. The "fact" that they make offers lower than what is required to obtain such player is commonplace, and irrelevant to a players true value. Really not that complicated or anything new.

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
Summary and Conclusion of every Jeff Skinner trade thread:

Jeff Skinner will probably not get traded in real life, and in this thread it is unlikely we will come close to an agreement as fanbases.

Pf:// Jeff Skinner's value in a vacuum is questionable. Based on the Hall trade, perhaps scoring wingers (young or not) are not in high demand in the league right now. So Jeff Skinner's value to other NHL teams may not be very high, depending on each individual GM's opinion on him and opinion on concussions.

Jeff Skinner's value to the Canes is very high given that he is a scoring threat and a top 6 winger on a team that needs (one might even say desperately) both scoring threats and top 6 wingers. As a bonus he is young and a fan favorite (which is triply important for revenue in a doomed to fail market such as Carolina :sarcasm:). His contract is also good value given his contribution to the team which is important on a non-cap team.

It seems that in this case we can reach the conclusion that

Jeff Skinner's value to the Canes >> Jeff Skinner's value to any other NHL team, which makes it likely he will not get traded if GMRF has any brains. It also suggests that no one will come to an agreement since, as fans, we already inherently ascribe more value to our own players and less value to other team's players in varying degrees. //

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
How is that relevant to his value? Do you agree with any Tavares proposals on the trade board? Did you agree with any Hamonic proposals over the years?

"Fact" is, fans only make proposals for players they value and want. The "fact" that they make offers lower than what is required to obtain such player is commonplace, and irrelevant to a players true value. Really not that complicated or anything new.

You're the one trying to establish value for skinner by bringing in other offers. But you don't want to say anything about those offers. In my opinion, skinner is not worth as much as you may proper he is. I'm not sure as you haven't stated what you think his value is. No problem, though. Just keep saying no one knows more than you know.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You're the one trying to establish value for skinner by bringing in other offers. But you don't want to say anything about those offers.

I was very clear in what I said. Fans only make frequent offers for players they value (thus the assertion is Skinner is valued by other fan bases) but Fans almost always on the trade board make offers that are not fair value, which is why saying "do you agree with the proposal" is irrelevant to his value. It's really not that complicated. If you fail to grasp that, well, that's your issue.

In my opinion, skinner is not worth as much as you may proper he is. I'm not sure as you haven't stated what you think his value is. No problem, though. Just keep saying no one knows more than you know.

Oh, poor BM pulls out the "no one knows more than you" line. :laugh: I'm just having fun pointing out your backtracking, uninformed posts and inconsistencies, but honestly, really don't care how you value Skinner, as how you (and I) value him doesn't mean anything (but is fun to debate). But hey, this is fun so I'll play along. You seem to have conveniently ignored the post where I did discuss value so I'll repeat it here, just for you. ;)

Value isn't determined in a vacuum, as you are trying to do. Edmonton was extremely deep at forward with young talent: McDavid, Eberle, Puljujarvi, RNH, Draisaitl, Lucic, etc.. and very weak on defense. It's been their Achilles heel so they they traded from a position of strength (forward) for a position of weakness (defense).

Carolina has the opposite problem. They are very strong on Defense (Hanifin, Faulk, Hainsey, Pesce, Slavin, Murphy, Fleury, McKeown, Bean, etc...) and very weak on offense. So it would be silly to trade from a position of weakness FOR a position of strength.

Teams make trades not to get the most value, they make trades to improve their team. Edmonton is a better team today by losing Hall and gaining Larsson (who I think is much more than a "mediocre" defenseman). If the Canes traded Skinner for a 3,4 Dman, they would be a much worse team. Therefore, as of right now, yes, Skinner's value is MORE than a 3/4 defenseman, simply because the Canes would never accept that in a trade. That may change next year, or the next, or the next, but right now, it's really not more complicated than that.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
I was very clear in what I said. Fans only make frequent offers for players they value (thus the assertion is Skinner is valued by other fan bases) but Fans almost always on the trade board make offers that are not fair value, which is why saying "do you agree with the proposal" is irrelevant to his value. It's really not that complicated. If you fail to grasp that, well, that's your issue.

Oh, poor BM pulls out the "no one knows more than you" line. :laugh: I'm just having fun pointing out your backtracking, uninformed posts and inconsistencies, but honestly, really don't care how you value Skinner, as how you (and I) value him doesn't mean anything (but is fun to debate). But hey, this is fun so I'll play along. You seem to have conveniently ignored the post where I did discuss value so I'll repeat it here, just for you. ;)

Ok. Thanks for making it personal. I have an opionion that differs from yours. You have to resort to personal attacks.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ok. Thanks for making it personal. I have an opionion that differs from yours. You have to resort to personal attacks.

Wait, did the guy who posted "Just keep saying no one knows more than you know." now whine about making it personal? Oh BM, you are too much. Pot, meet Kettle.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
Wait, did the guy who posted "Just keep saying no one knows more than you know." now whine about making it personal? Oh BM, you are too much. Pot, meet Kettle.

I never once said anything demeaning about you as a person. I understand your opinion and disagree with with it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I never once said anything demeaning about you as a person. I understand your opinion and disagree with with it.

Just curious, how is what I said any more demeaning than you saying that I "Just keep saying no one knows more than you know."?

I called you out for saying that about me and I said your posts were inconsistent with backtracking and uninformed information. That's not personal at all, it is simply commenting on your content in your posts.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
Just curious, how is what I said any more demeaning than you saying that I "Just keep saying no one knows more than you know."?

I called you out for saying that about me and I said your posts were inconsistent with backtracking and uninformed information. That's not personal at all, it is simply commenting on your content in your posts.

I was just pointing out that no one agrees with the high value you place on skinner. But whatever.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
36th best scorer. How is he great compared to 35 and 37? I don't see it. He's a secondary scoring option. The fact that he's on a scoring deficient team only inflates those numbers as he would get the prime opportunities.

Unless as is the case he's sometimes saddled with Riley Nash and Nathan Gerbe or Chris Terry as line mates. Often if you are the best scoring threat you draw the most defensive attention. Or if you're saddled with **** for line mates who can't get you the puck...well you know where this is going.

Something about those weekly Skinner trade threads belie your point.

You're the one trying to establish value for skinner by bringing in other offers. But you don't want to say anything about those offers. In my opinion, skinner is not worth as much as you may proper he is. I'm not sure as you haven't stated what you think his value is. No problem, though. Just keep saying no one knows more than you know.

In a trade with the Islanders his value is something around Nelson/Strome + MDC + a 1st round pick in my opinion. Maybe not yours but I'm guessing GMs would be offering closer to that than your proffered #3/#4 defenseman. There's a reason Edmonton is who they are.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
Unless as is the case he's sometimes saddled with Riley Nash and Nathan Gerbe or Chris Terry as line mates. Often if you are the best scoring threat you draw the most defensive attention. Or if you're saddled with **** for line mates who can't get you the puck...well you know where this is going.

Something about those weekly Skinner trade threads belie your point.

In a trade with the Islanders his value is something around Nelson/Strome + MDC + a 1st round pick in my opinion. Maybe not yours but I'm guessing GMs would be offering closer to that than your proffered #3/#4 defenseman. There's a reason Edmonton is who they are.

Ok..

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I was just pointing out that no one agrees with the high value you place on skinner. But whatever.

So no one agrees that Skinner is worth more than a 3/4 defenseman? Not sure how you can say that with any certainty. Heck, even the OP offered Strome for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad