Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I think matching broberg at 4.5 is a massive mistake for us.
4.5 is more than ideal but the bigger mistake would be letting the young D go for nothing when in 2 years ekholm is 36 and UFA and risk the total collapse of the D due to going back to relying on Nurse

By year 2 of this deal I think broberg is far and away exceeding the 4.5, and I hope it’s with the oilers.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Where in my post did you decifer that? I said Grier would be public enemy #1 because Broberg is who St. Louis wanted the most out of those two now that Edmonton will likely match.
The average response from Blues fans is going to be “oh well”. It’s delusional to think Grier would even register.

Reactions: Meatball

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So Edmonton seemingly have solved their cap issues for this year and are probably matching Broberg. Still going to make next summer interesting for them though with massive raises coming for Bouchard and Draisaitl on top of needing to fill out the rest of their roster with quality depth. Chose to kick the can down the road.

Have they though? Yeah they moved out Ceci but between the Vancouver and SJ trades they brought back about 2 million bucks. They only saved about 1.2 million does that really solve their cap issues?

If they moved out Ceci entire salary I'd agree.

Or if Brett Kulak is moved with no money coming back.

But as it stands I wouldn't say they are solved just yet.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Grier does some very questionable things. Whether the luck of the lottery, or players falling into his lap during a draft, ends up saving his GM career, we’ll see, but he seems to lack any real grasp of the market sometimes.

They already have too many dmen who think they’re playing roller hockey, but hey, let’s add another one.

When you take these dumps, it’s supposed to make your team a little bit better, plus you gain some futures. An Edmonton 3rd, is closer to a 4th, and they are probably a worse D-Core tonight, than they were this morning.

Emberson plays a pretty basic game with a decent first pass. He actually retrieves rather well, and wins his share of battles on the walls. Something SJ lacks to begin with. While Ceci is better in transition and offensively, it’s not by any crazy amount 5 on 5, to be even worse in their own end.

They’re actually worse (in their own end) with this trade, and that wasn’t easy to do.

It’s gonna be an adventure watching San Jose’s D-Core. They’ve acquired two dmen this summer now, who actually have imaginary friends on the ice.

Between Ceci and Walman, they may set records for the most unforced turnovers in their own zone. The blind passes to those invisible friends will be beyond frustrating. If they play together??? Minor coaches will be able to make videos of how NOT to play the game.

It’s hard to imagine what Grier is thinking here. For what amounts to a late 3rd round pick? It’s not worth the AAV and the year of Ceci playing with no protection.

God help the Sharks if they’re thinking of having any kids playing on that D-Core this year. It may set their development back 2 years. You’re supposed to protect young dmen with solid veterans, not bring them up to protect the veterans. It’s hard enough transitioning to the NHL as a young Dmen. Poor kids aren’t going to know what direction they’re going with the vets SJ has added.

It’s just not worth a late 3rd rounder, and maybe the 5th or 6th you will get for Ceci at the deadline.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have they though? Yeah they moved out Ceci but between the Vancouver and SJ trades they brought back about 2 million bucks. They only saved about 1.2 million does that really solve their cap issues?

Speculation is Kane will miss most, if not all of the year on LTIR. He needs surgery.

Edmonton has cleared enough that all they have to do is run a 13-7 roster and they’re fine. And that’s if they choose to match both.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

If Brown is sent to the AHL, and they trade Kulak for picks, then they are cap compliant when Kane gets back from LTIR. With Kane on LTIR and Kulak gone, we have around 5 million in cap space (Broberg being matched included).

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
At 2.3 million? For a guy who will probably play on the 4th? Sure.
So you hope the oilers don’t match either player? Because you said it yourself that Broberg isn’t good enough to be a 2nd pairing defenseman and he’s getting $4.6 million.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bouchard at least showed promising underlying numbers while he was toiling at the bottom of the roster, Broberg hasn't really had anything going for him.
Bouchard was sheltered a lot. Broberg's playoff run had him playing up the lineup against the toughest competition and did a great job. Bouchard absolutely had the legions of doubters who never would have thought his ceiling was as high as what he achieved.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bouchard at least showed promising underlying numbers while he was toiling at the bottom of the roster, Broberg hasn't really had anything going for him.
this team is old as dirt, especially on the backend

it's a risk sure, but a calculate risk that he'll blossom into a top 4

bringing in some other bottom-pairing UFA defenseman isn't the answer IMO

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It was low risk but this is their forward group with Kane on LTIR and assuming they match on Holloway:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - C. Brown
Holloway - Ryan - Perry

In their situation, spending a 4th rounder to add a 1 M potential healthy scratch who is more of a project at this point would seem to be a bit of a waste.
They're not matching Holloway.

Reactions: smytty

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Fair enough but they have taken steps that would allow them to be cap compliant with some simple roster moves.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
At 2.3 million? For a guy who will probably play on the 4th? Sure.
That is the big problem with Holloway. His contract is too much for a guy who on the Oilers will likely only have room to play him on the 4th line to start the season. He also has issues with injuries, consistency, and I am not really a fan of his puckhandling skills, but I do like him as a player and wish the Oilers to keep him but I can understand if they don't match him at that contract. Podkolzin is a better cap hit to fill that role.

Reactions: McBooya42

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
this team is old as dirt, especially on the backend

it's a risk sure, but a calculate risk that he'll blossom into a top 4

bringing in some other bottom-pairing UFA defenseman isn't the answer IMO
Drai + Bouchard extensions will eat up most if not all of the 17M cap they currently have for next offseason. Only way I can see keeping Broberg beyond this season is if they trade Nurse, but I don't see how that's possible.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Stan bowman showing why he was so coveted by Edmonton for GM.

Oilers are heavy cup favourites and still working to secure the future, just an unbelievable off season

Unfortunate for st louis after what looked like a shrewd move, but they are still 5+ years from making the playoffs so they have time to wait and grow draft picks/young talent

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If Brown is sent to the AHL, and they trade Kulak for picks, then they are cap compliant when Kane gets back from LTIR. With Kane on LTIR and Kulak gone, we have around 5 million in cap space (Broberg being matched included).
If we trade kulak who is playing on our D?

That is not an NHL level defence if you remove both kulak and ceci and replace them cheaper players, let alone a D that would be a contender.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How? He has a clear track record and has a modern analytical mind, unlike many dinosaur GMs who are basically in position due to nepotism. Obviously Grier isn't perfect and some moves can be criticized, but you can't say he didn't earn his position when there are so many more GMs that truly didn't.

They were just being racist, calling him a DEI hire

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
So now they have a guy who doesn't want to be there. Well done, Edmonton Oilers!!!!
Has he come out and said he doesn’t want to be there? Honest question, because I haven’t read into this too much. And simply signing an offer sheet doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t want to be in Edmonton. Assuming we’re talking about Broberg here, St. Louis offered him more than he’s worth, so he may be looking at it as a chance to capitalize on a number he would not have been offered otherwise.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad