Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Grier also came into one of the worst situations I've ever seen a new NHL GM come into. When he was hired the Sharks lacked picks, prospects, and cap space while lacking talent and the good players they did have were overpaid and old or had serious issues that could inhibit their values like the Timo Meier $10 qualifying offer. Now us Sharks fans have something we have not had in a while, hope for the future.
Literally turned this graveyard into the best prospect pool in hockey and more money than we know what to do with along with only one major contract long term.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Am I missing something cap wise? Oilers shed ceci 3.25 but podolzkin and Emerson both have 1 mill cap hits. So Oilers only gained 1.25 mill in cap space after these moves.

Wouldn’t that mean it would still be tough to match broberg instead of Holloway?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Am I missing something cap wise? Oilers shed ceci 3.25 but podolzkin and Emerson both have 1 mill cap hits. So Oilers only gained 1.25 mill in cap space after these moves.

Wouldn’t that mean it would still be tough to match broberg instead of Holloway?
If they’re putting Kane on LTIR they’re buying more time until they have to make another move before he comes back during the season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Sucks for St. Louis. Although them not getting Broberg now is hilarious. Grier gonna be public enemy #1 with their fan base.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I think matching broberg at 4.5 is a massive mistake for us.
I’ve heard so many mixed opinions about Broberg this last week. I can’t remember the last time a guy played mostly in the AHL the season before got a contract like that.

I’ve never really noticed him much in the Oiler’s games I’ve seen (not that I’ve really been watching him in depth). I’m not sure what I would do if I was Bowman.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It should have taken way more than that to dump ceci, especially if you get a playable asset back

Well, I don't think Ty Emberson is that on a team looking to realistically win a Stanley Cup. Is he?

That said, the larger point of needing more value coming withi Ceci stands.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Grier could have gotten more, what an awful trade by the Sharks where they had all the leverage.
All it takes is there to be one other suitor and then the leverage is gone.

Maybe there were lots of teams who demanded a 1st and smiled like they just aced supply and demand, but they didn't get anything out of it

Bottom line is that Grier pushed his team closer to finishing the rebuild today, even just by a little bit. That's a good day

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ceci will be a decent D for San Jose. They aren't expected to win much so Ceci certainly won't hurt more than whom ever else they had to play those mins. Thanks to Grier though. Saved us Broberg in all likelihood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
What? No. Do Edmonton fans not get that if you match Broberg, St. Louis doesn’t lose anything.

Where in my post did you decifer that? I said Grier would be public enemy #1 in their fan base because Broberg is who St. Louis wanted the most out of those two now that Edmonton will likely match.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’ve heard so many mixed opinions about Broberg this last week. I can’t remember the last time a guy played mostly in the AHL the season before got a contract like that.

I’ve never really noticed him much in the Oiler’s games I’ve seen (not that I’ve really been watching him in depth). I’m not sure what I would do if I was Bowman.
He played 12 regular season games last year and 10 playoff games and only 81 nhl in his career. His playofff stats put him as the worst analytically on the blue line.

He hasn’t had an impact at all in the NHL and hasn’t shown he’s capable of playing NHL hockey for a prolonged period of time. Matching the blues offer sheet is a mistake that will likely destroy the oilers as they currently are. Broberg is making more money than Evan Bouchard. That’s insane. The D without ceci and VD is objectively worse than last season.

Is Broberg back to being good now?
No. Massive gamble and not worth it.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Jeff Finger - well one season removed from the AHL

Hopefully better ending for the Oil

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He played 12 regular season games last year and 10 playoff games and only 81 nhl in his career. His playofff stats put him as the worst analytically on the blue line.

He hasn’t had an impact at all in the NHL and hasn’t shown he’s capable of playing NHL hockey for a prolonged period of time. Matching the blues offer sheet is a mistake that will likely destroy the oilers as they currently are. Broberg is making more money than Evan Bouchard. That’s insane. The D without ceci and VD is objectively worse than last season.

No. Massive gamble and not worth it.
nah, absolute worst-case scenario is Broberg bought out, which isn't a huge cap hit
he's got all the tools and had a great playoff, he will blossom into a top 4 d-man this year IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad