Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
And if Emberson is playing in Edmonton on a regular basis you gave up a cost-controlled defenseman for some picks when we have no good young right handers in the system. It's improvement because Ceci is better than Emberson, but short-sighted overall IMO
I liked his upside I just don’t trust his ability to stay healthy. If he has another injury prone season then we’re throwing in the towel again or rushing a prospect like Thompson. Cody doesn’t miss games and his cap hit for a year is reasonable. I don’t think Ty was ever the future.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
You don’t think the Oilers spoke to Broberg’s agent before they went through with this?

Broberg and his agent have made their position clear. You think he was just playing hard to get? I see why you had trouble following the logic earlier.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Didn't
Earn
It
How? He has a clear track record and has a modern analytical mind, unlike many dinosaur GMs who are basically in position due to nepotism. Obviously Grier isn't perfect and some moves can be criticized, but you can't say he didn't earn his position when there are so many more GMs that truly didn't.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Grier is executing a textbook rebuild. Bad contracts for assets and selling the remaining good players for 1st rounders. He's done really well. The only trade where Grier got completely fleeced assets-wise was Burns to Carolina, but nobody outside of the Canes brass thought that he would stay as effective as he has been in his near-40s.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I disagree. The Blues organization would never make this sort of deal with Chicago for peanuts.
RHD that can actually play at an NHL level are a rarity in the league, I'd imagine an expiring Ceci @ 50% will fetch at least a 3rd at the deadline.

Grier gets value where he would've received nothing otherwise.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If San Jose can get a 2nd for Ceci at the deadline, then a 2nd + 3rd for essentially an unproven bottom-pair type guy is good value.

If Ceci had been a pure cap dump, a 2nd + 3rd is probably what it would have cost to get rid of his 3.25M cap hit.

So although it seems like the Sharks let a divisional rival off the hook, the overall value seems fine.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Pretend for a minute it’s Chicago who had Broberg and Holloway. There’s less than 0% chance the Blues would help them with this type of deal under any circumstance.

I could see it if the Blues said sure we’ll help take Ceci as long as you’re sending a first, which Chicago (Edmonton) couldn’t pay.
A rebuilding team trying to nickle and dime contending teams to the point of undermining their own rebuild is short sighted. It's entirely possible that the Oilers had other offers for Ceci's contract that they would go with instead if the Sharks made bigger demands. Acquiring assets for the future is a more important objective than maximizing punishment on the Oilers for any rebuilding team regardless of division

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like this move by San Jose. Get a 3rd with Ceci, play him lots of minutes this season and flip him for a 2nd or 3rd at the trade deadline with retention.
Not only that, I'm sure lots of teams would have liked to pull this kind of deal off but Grier actually did it. Him settling for a 3rd is probably why Ceci isnt in Utah or wherever
Ceci's big draw back is his cap hit. So Grier traded a commodity he has too much of (cap space) for a commodity he wants (picks and players)

Emerson likely was about to see his value tank. Ceci would get minutes, and I'd bet they have another prospect or two they want to toss I'm there

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Poor ceci. Goes from a cup contender to the worst team in the league. He has to be gutted. Lol

Reactions: ujju2

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Grier is executing a textbook rebuild. Bad contracts for assets and selling the remaining good players for 1st rounders. He's done really well. The only trade where Grier got completely fleeced assets-wise was Burns to Carolina, and nobody predicted that he would stay as effective as he has been in his near-40s.
Grier also came into one of the worst situations I've ever seen a new NHL GM come into. When he was hired the Sharks lacked picks, prospects, and cap space while lacking talent and the good players they did have were overpaid and old or had serious issues that could inhibit their values like the Timo Meier $10 qualifying offer. Now us Sharks fans have something we have not had in a while, hope for the future.

Apr 29, 2017
Broberg and his agent have made their position clear. You think he was just playing hard to get? I see why you had trouble following the logic earlier.
He made the demand when he was sitting in the minors months ago. You don’t think the Oilers didn’t have a discussion with Brobergs’s agent to see where his head was at? Jake Debrusk made trade demands of Boston three years ago and seemed to have a change of heart.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Lol at the people saying it would cost a 1st to dump Ceci
I mean it's what teams were rumored to be asking. It's not like fans pulled it out of thin air.

Frankly Grier did the Oilers a favor, the fact they gave up less to shed Ceci than Nashville did to shed Glass, despite Glass being cheaper, having some remaining potential, and the Oilers being in a much more dire cap position than the Preds.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I like this move by San Jose. Get a 3rd with Ceci, play him lots of minutes this season and flip him for a 2nd or 3rd at the trade deadline with retention.
yep it's exactly why i was telling posters it would be easy to move Ceci. Teams weren't gonna let an opportunity for 2 good picks go by just to hold out to get greedy to punish the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad