Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Drai + Bouchard extensions will eat up most if not all of the 17M cap they currently have for next offseason. Only way I can see keeping Broberg beyond this season is if they trade Nurse, but I don't see how that's possible.
then that's an asset they can dangle next summer to get cap compliant

again, absolute worst case scenario is they buy him out next summer at a favorable cap hit

at least signing him would mean a chance for him to move up the line-up with more confidence and experience should injuries occur
bringing in some scrub bottom-pairing old UFA doesn't move the needle

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Important move for the Oilers.

Have to find a way to keep Broberg. I like Ceci, seems like a fine human being and you have to feel for him getting shipped to San Jose.

He is not the guy you want making plays under pressure in his zone but he does a pretty decent job on the PK which is something the Sharks could use. They need to find a way to make strides to being a team worthy of the NHL logo and Ceci won't hurt there.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
4.5 is more than ideal but the bigger mistake would be letting the young D go for nothing when in 2 years ekholm is 36 and UFA and risk the total collapse of the D due to going back to relying on Nurse

By year 2 of this deal I think broberg is far and away exceeding the 4.5, and I hope it’s with the oilers.
It's so this! Cap space is very important but it can make people lose sight of what's really important. You need to have a core of players and that includes a pipeline of talent that keeps the winning window open.

The people who hated most on Broberg are the same ones that wanted the Oilers to sacrifice as much of the future as possible to maximize our winning window, which they see as ONLY the next two years.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Has he come out and said he doesn’t want to be there? Honest question, because I haven’t read into this too much. And simply signing an offer sheet doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t want to be in Edmonton. Assuming we’re talking about Broberg here, St. Louis offered him more than he’s worth, so he may be looking at it as a chance to capitalize on a number he would not have been offered otherwise.

He requested a trade that was likely due to lack of ice time/opportunity when he was toiling in the AHL. I'm sure he would much prefer a top 4 role on a cup contender than looking bad on a lottery team like st louis

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Mike Grier has been taken to the cleaners on every trade he's made except for *maybe* the Meier trade. I don't trust him to build a proper team around Celebrini/Eklund.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Has he come out and said he doesn’t want to be there? Honest question, because I haven’t read into this too much. And simply signing an offer sheet doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t want to be in Edmonton. Assuming we’re talking about Broberg here, St. Louis offered him more than he’s worth, so he may be looking at it as a chance to capitalize on a number he would not have been offered otherwise.
Yes. He asked for a trade. And then, of course, signed the OS.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
So you hope the oilers don’t match either player? Because you said it yourself that Broberg isn’t good enough to be a 2nd pairing defenseman and he’s getting $4.6 million.
He's not good enough on the right hand side paired with Nurse - absolutely not. He sucked in that role. He does have good numbers playing the left side however (which is exactly why the offer sheet came in the first place). I think he could comfortably play in the 2nd pairing as a LHD. We currently have Ekholm and Nurse as our two top LHDs though. Ek will be 36 in two years however. Maybe a perfect time for Broberg to step in that role.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
And who are we replacing ceci and kulak with?

This is a downgrade on the D and hamstrings our ability to improve via trade at the deadline
Broberg for Kulak, and probably Stetcher for Ceci. Could be that Barrie gets a PTO, and shows he can still play well with Nurse? Emberson takes 3rd pairing RHD if no Barrie.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Got it. Thanks for the info. Still think it’s worth he better move for Edmonton rather than letting go of a recent 8 overall for a 2nd. That would be terrible value for them.
In a vacuum, yes, I agree. This should have never gotten this far. And you’re welcome, sir or ma’am.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg for Kulak, and probably Stetcher for Ceci. Could be that Barrie gets a PTO, and shows he can still play well with Nurse? Emberson takes 3rd pairing RHD if no Barrie.
And who is filling for a Beoberg? As he was penciled in the line up before all this.

that’s a big downgrade imo.

Trading ceci and kulak with draft picks for upgrades was the play but broberg threw a wrench in that. So we are trading ceci and kulak just to keep broberg and an insane price.

Reactions: Dan Kelly and PuckG

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
He requested a trade that was likely due to lack of ice time/opportunity when he was toiling in the AHL. I'm sure he would much prefer a top 4 role on a cup contender than looking bad on a lottery team like st louis
Thanks for the info. That makes sense and I would agree. But even if he isn’t happy, it’s still a move Edmonton needed to make rather than letting go of a recent 8 overall for a 2nd, considering he’s starting to show promise.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Call me crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised if Army isn’t trying to now acquire Broberg for Perunovich and other assets involved before Bowman matches Tuesday.

Army has a hard on for the kid 😂

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Thanks for the info. That makes sense and I would agree. But even if he isn’t happy, it’s still a move Edmonton needed to make rather than letting go of a recent 8 overall for a 2nd, considering he’s starting to show promise.
What promise? He’s looked bad and was statistically the worst oiler D in his 10 game playoff stretch that for some reason everyone seems to be in love with.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Mike Grier has been taken to the cleaners on every trade he's made except for *maybe* the Meier trade. I don't trust him to build a proper team around Celebrini/Eklund.
I don't like this trade either, but I don't think it's that big of a deal he settled for a 3rd instead of holding out for a 1st or 2nd.

Would I have preferred he played hard ball? Sure, but this is hardly being taken to the cleaners.

Also, you really don't think the Karlsson and Hertl trades were wins??

Reactions: coooldude

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Call me crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised if Army isn’t trying to now acquire Broberg for Perunovich and other assets involved before Bowman matches Tuesday.

Army has a hard on for the kid 😂
Broberg will be ineligible to be traded for a full year if the oilers match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad