Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
And who is filling for a Beoberg? As he was penciled in the line up before all this.

that’s a big downgrade imo.

Trading ceci and kulak with draft picks for upgrades was the play but broberg threw a wrench in that. So we are trading ceci and kulak just to keep broberg and an insane price.
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Barrie
Broby - Stetcher

That's what I would do.

• Wow
Reactions: OilerMcLord

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Edmonton's defence should be exciting to watch... particularly that 2nd pairing.

Screenshot_20240818-222819_kindlephoto-320350450.png

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Is that even allowed after the offer sheet has been signed?
Only if Edmonton actually matches it. They can still work out a trade right now with the team offering the contract before the deadline.

I truly doubt Bowman would help Army at all so it’s mostly a joke. But with Armstrong, I would never rule out anything. 🤣

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
What promise? He’s looked bad and was statistically the worst oiler D in his 10 game playoff stretch that for some reason everyone seems to be in love with.
Are you just being contrarian for the sake of it? The Blues are willing to pay Broberg this amount because they see him as a key piece and the Oilers are looking to find a way to keep him because they see him as a key piece.

The guy was thrown in at the business end of the playoffs.. doesn't get bigger or more pressure packed than that... that was without playing a meaningful game in quite some time.

He's a young d man that showed he could hack it under pressure so to compare him to guys on that blueline that have played a large number of regular season and playoff games, is not an apples to apples comparison.

I am not an Oilers fan and certainly not a Stan Bowman fan but clearly Broberg is an asset worth hanging onto.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
The Blues are not a lottery team. They are dealing with influx

Only if Edmonton actually matches it. They can still work out a trade right now with the team offering the contract before the deadline.

I truly doubt Bowman would help Army at all so it’s mostly a joke. But with Armstrong, I would never rule out anything. 🤣
No they can't. As soon as the OS is registered, Oilers have right of first refusal, which provides two options - match or not match. They cannot trade either player, and if they match the OS they cannot trade them for a whole year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
lol the posts that think Edmonton is doing anything close to sticking it to Armstrong crack me up.
They didn't stick it to him, but his dealings invertedly caused the Oilers to make smart-ish moves.

Broberg might be a bit overpaid at what Armstrong gave him, but it forced them to dump Cody Ceci, and somehow for only a 3rd. That in itself is a win.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
No they can't. As soon as the OS is registered, Oilers have right of first refusal, which provides two options - match or not match. They cannot trade either player, and if they match the OS they cannot trade them for a whole year.
Jeremy Rutherford said otherwise on his podcast Friday.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He was ranked last in every analytical stat on the blue line over those 10 games.

That’s the worst D the oilers will have iced since at least 2019.
I don't know. Barrie would be an improvement over Ceci. He played well over 1000 minutes paired with Nurse and better than Nurse did with Ceci statistically. Broberg is quite good on the left side, no matter who he was paired with. Stetcher and him would be fine on the third pairing.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Jeremy Rutherford said otherwise on his podcast Friday.
Straight from CBA:

The Prior Club, within seven (7) days after36ARTICLE 10 10.3-10.3the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, whichshall have the legal consequence set forth below. Once an Offer Sheet for a Restricted FreeAgent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not Trade or otherwise Assign itsRight of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

Reactions: Snake Eyes

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
They didn't stick it to him, but his dealings invertedly caused the Oilers to make smart-ish moves.

Broberg might be a bit overpaid at what Armstrong gave him, but it forced them to dump Cody Ceci, and somehow for only a 3rd. That in itself is a win.
If they match Broberg, they will have to keep making room.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

We got a very good RHD prospect out of it too by the looks of it.

Not really. Edmonton has plenty of similar players on the roster or in minors. Broberg is a way bigger long term need
Ekholm will be 36 in 2 years. A nice opportunity for Broberg to push for a top pairing role if he can reach it. Some in the org think he can, and some think he'll top out as a top 4. Either way he has opportunity now.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Found an interesting nugget on Emberson's Luck Pedia page.

If he plays less than 50 NHL games this year he will be an unrestricted free agent (Group6).

A player becomes UFA group 6 if they are age 25, have 3 or more pro seasons (includes AHL) and have played less than 80 NHL games (Emberson has 30 NHL games).

So if the Sharks didn't see him as a guy in their plans and didn't plan to play him those 50 games this season they would lose him for nothing. And perhaps they worried an injury would result in this as well.

It also looks like the Sharks are at the contract limit so they had to send someone back to Edmonton to add Ceci.

On a different note, they cannot retain on Ceci in any trade though - they have no slots left.

Reactions: coooldude

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
get Grier back on the line see if he'll take nurse and St.Louis 3rd for a prospect

You really think the Sharks would have traded a good RHD prospect for Cody Ceci...? :huh:

You got a 24 year old career journeyman dman back
I never thought the Sharks would have taken Ceci, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad