Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Sooooo now they are matching Broberg ?

Emberson will get waived ?

Hollowell gone ?

Hilarious because overpaying guys was exactly what the Blues did with the RFA offersheets because they couldn't attract any free agents.

Oilers meanwhile signed like 4 guys to bargain contracts.

Seems like you don't like living in reality. :laugh:

Broberg will get traded next year because they have to resign bigger names

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not sure why everyone is so sure Edmonton is matching on Broberg. Does Broberg even want to be in Edmonton? If he doesn't you push the problem down the road. Also if he doesn't want to be in Edmonton does. he come back and pouts and play like crap.

Maybe the Oilers matches Holloway and have a very deep forward core and add at the trade deadline as Kane's NTC becomes a limited one and he has to give a list of 15 teams he would accept a trade to .

Skinner McD Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Arvidsson
Holloway Henrique Brown
Pod Janmark Perry

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Stecher/Brown/Kemp

You may be right this could just keep Holloway and try go with Emberson , Brown , Stetcher which is not good let’s be real

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that Ceci is gone I'll be real interested to see who Nurse's partner in crime is on the 2nd pairing at the start of the season. At the moment Edmonton really doesn't have a legit 2nd pairing RD.
Rasmus Andersson would look pretty good there.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Oilers are the big losers here, not only bleeding assets but paying Broberg more than 2x what they should.

Big blow.

... and if Kane is healthy before the playoffs, things could get dicey. Even with him on LTIR, they will have no buffer in case of injuries. Tough first summer for Bowman.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Ok. Well good luck! I’m sure he’s a superstar in the making and not just a guy who played middle pairing minutes on the worst team in hockey and still only got a million bucks on a one year deal.

That was Petry on the Oilers when they were the worst team in hockey.

Bad teams are bad for a few reasons. Talent evaluation is usually a big one.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I like this deal for both teams ... most aren't seeing it..

SJ gets a decent veteran to help transition their youth .. that they can flip for a second ( possibly a 1st , we've seen stupider trades ) and a 3rd

EDM clears some space and receives a decent young RHD that can play third pair .. with a decent veteran to continue his growth ( hopefully his light injury woes are behind him )

Good trade for both .. think SJ could have bent EDM over more .. but fair trade overall

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You don’t think the Oilers spoke to Broberg’s agent before they went through with this?

It’s kind of like quantum contracts. When you sign an offer sheet, you sign it with two teams.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
4.5 is more than ideal but the bigger mistake would be letting the young D go for nothing when in 2 years ekholm is 36 and UFA and risk the total collapse of the D due to going back to relying on Nurse

By year 2 of this deal I think broberg is far and away exceeding the 4.5, and I hope it’s with the oilers.
The window may be shut in two years for a cup, thats what the issue is. Draisatl could easily be gone next year, either via FA, or forced out due to cap issues (not enough cash for Bouchard and him). In any case the depth has to be gutted next year for those two. So this may be Edmontons last chance. And if they have no injuries when Kane comes back they'll have to clear a lot of salary, it could harm the depth at forward they acquired this year.

but Broberg far and exceeding 4.5? He has not been able to hold down a full time job yet, its a huge stretch.

Between Ceci and Walman, they may set records for the most unforced turnovers in their own zone. The blind passes to those invisible friends will be beyond frustrating. If they play together??? Minor coaches will be able to make videos of how NOT to play the game.
Ceci is one of the least turnover prone D men in the league and has been for years. He had 20 all of last year. Next lowest on Edmonton was Kulak at 37.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So Ceci, Holloway, a 3rd and a 4th for Podkolzin, Emberson and a 3rd?

I mean, in a vacuum that’s not great but considering where last week started, that’s a good result for Edmonton.

They made the best of a bad situation and will likely keep Broberg now albeit an overpayment currently but keeping the long term potential is critical.

Reactions: Fatass

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
The window may be shut in two years for a cup, thats what the issue is. Draisatl could easily be gone next year, either via FA, or forced out due to cap issues (not enough cash for Bouchard and him). In any case the depth has to be gutted next year for those two. So this may be Edmontons last chance. And if they have no injuries when Kane comes back they'll have to clear a lot of salary, it could harm the depth at forward they acquired this year.

but Broberg far and exceeding 4.5? He has not been able to hold down a full time job yet, its a huge stretch.

Ceci is one of the least turnover prone D men in the league and has been for years. He had 20 all of last year. Next lowest on Edmonton was Kulak at 37.
If the window is closed in 2 years we would have traded them months ago

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It’s going to be awkward for the Oiler fans that told him to piss off after he signed the offer sheet.

What a weird post. Where exactly does the “awkward” come from? You think Broberg has a personal relationship with each Oiler fan?

Reactions: Ciao

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's easy to overpay Broberg and hope for the best when you get rid of the 1 year Ceci contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Only if Edmonton actually matches it. They can still work out a trade right now with the team offering the contract before the deadline.

I truly doubt Bowman would help Army at all so it’s mostly a joke. But with Armstrong, I would never rule out anything. 🤣

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned, but you can’t trade a player in the 7 days after they sign an offer sheet.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I feel for Sharks fans who are going to have to endure 10+ years of this moron the same way Miami Dolphins fans have had to endure two decades of his incompetent moron of a brother.
Lmao what? He's rebuilt the prospect pool into the best in the league, cleared tons of cap space, and has more draft picks for the 2025 draft/assets to trade for more picks.

We're going to have to endure 10+ years of what exactly....and just because they traded a guy who was a 23 year old waiver claim last fall? Sure they took on Ceci's contract...but that's why they got a 3rd round pick.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He also asked for a trade and still is forced to play his off side, not an ideal situation.

It was an ideal situation for Broberg. Shit was wide open for him, ball literally on a tee. All he had to do was go swing.

Then he got outplayed by names like Neimaleinan, Koekkoek, Russell, Desharnais, Kulikov, and Gleason for three years in a row and forced the Oilers in their McDavid window to go out and acquire Kulak, and then subsequently acquire Ekholm.

That's on him.

Reactions: MessierII

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The question is if you like him more than the players you might lose because of this.
Worst case they end up trading Broberg next offseason. And yes I like Broberg more than Kulak, Perry, Ryan, Kane, Josh Brown or any of the other but pieces the Oilers might have to dump or not resign because of this match.

No more Nurse-Ceci in the playoffs. How sad.

? Lot of Oilers fans thought Ceci would return an asset outright. Turns out they had to attach a 3rd round pick to move him.

Emberson seems like a generic bottom pairing defenseman. Guessing Grier sold high, like he did on Okhotiuk
I don’t think the Flames and their fans will need to worry about the playoffs for the next 4-6 years. How sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad