Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Where in my post did you decifer that? I said Grier would be public enemy #1 in their fan base because Broberg is who St. Louis wanted the most out of those two now that Edmonton will likely match.
He probably was our main target, but there’s a lot that we still need to watch unfold before coming to conclusions about Grier being an enemy here. What if Broberg ends up sucking and Holloway becomes good? If that is the case, Grier might have helped STL.

Of course the opposite can happen too. My point is that people are going to try to immediately declare who the “winner” is on Tuesday from this whole fiasco and make all types of definitive statements, but the reality is that we truly won’t really know for a while (at least a year or two). Broberg and Holloway are still so young, we have no idea what either one will be.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Ok. Well good luck! I’m sure he’s a superstar in the making and not just a guy who played middle pairing minutes on the worst team in hockey and still only got a million bucks on a one year deal.
I think he'd be fine on our bottom pairing. #7 to start off, but we'll have to see how things shake out at camp. Our coach used to coach him, so the familiarity is good.

The best are the Oil fans on Twitter who had never heard of Ty suddenly acting as if he’s a future cornerstone piece on the blue line.
So salty lol.

Kinda funny that STL basically just forced EDM to dump Ceci
We wanted to dump Ceci. This has been the best thing that could happen ever! We went from one of the older teams, to one of the younger while stocking up on prospects on the cusp. The past 12 hours have been fantastic.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think he'd be fine on our bottom pairing. #7 to start off, but we'll have to see how things shake out at camp. Our coach used to coach him, so the familiarity is good.

So salty lol.

We wanted to dump Ceci. This has been the best thing that could happen ever! We went from one of the older teams, to one of the younger while stocking up on prospects on the cusp. The past 12 hours have been fantastic.
Salty? I’m thrilled with the deal. It’s a win win for everyone. Emberson was a throw in for Edmonton. I’m not even sure he’s part of the oiler organization when the season starts.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Fun gossip says we match hollaway, put on waivers for SJ to pick up. Payback and thanks to SJ, FU blues ! Lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thirsty ass hockey fans in August :laugh:
least Doug Armstrong has gave the blog and podcast people something to chew on this month

None of Broberg, Ceci, Holloway, Emberson, Podkolzin are really players that move the needle much. None of the 2nd and 3rd and 4th picks involved are likely to make any sort of impact until 2028 at the earliest.

Ceci isn't great but his contract wasn't awful. 3.25 and 1 year remaining? People were expecting a 1st to offload that for a guy who played 20 minutes a night on a team that went to the SCF? That's just ridiculous lol
How does Edmonton replace those minutes? Josh Brown or Troy Stecher are going to play 2nd pair RD? Broberg on his offside? Do they have some young guy out of nowhere? Not done making moves? What's the plan there Stan?

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Thirsty ass hockey fans in August :laugh:
least Doug Armstrong has gave the blog and podcast people something to chew on this month

None of Broberg, Ceci, Holloway, Emberson, Podkolzin are really players that move the needle much. None of the 2nd and 3rd and 4th picks involved are likely to make any sort of impact until 2028 at the earliest.

Ceci isn't great but really his contract wasn't awful. 3.25 and 1 year remaining? People were expecting a 1st to offload that for a guy who played 20 minutes a night on a team that went to the SCF? That's just ridiculous lol
How does Edmonton replace those minutes? Josh Brown or Troy Stecher are going to play 2nd pair RD? Broberg on his offside? Do they have some young guy out of nowhere? Not done making moves? What's the plan there Stan?
Worst case, assuming they don't bring in someone else this summer, I think they have enough third pairing options in Stetcher, Broberg and Brown that they could make it work by committee in season until they can find a deal.

But while I don't think it will happen, if they somehow have another terrible start all bets are off :laugh:

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
jeff-bridges-what.gif

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
So are Oiler fans going to pivot back to "he's a great defenseman with upside" after trashing him and saying the Blues are stupid for offering him $4.6 million? Asking for a friend.
The only way i see this trade is that Edmonton got rid of a third pair overpaid dman for a younger third pair dman overpaid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgot About Drai

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Funny thing , that trade makes none of those 2 teams any better.
Sharks didn’t get Ceci to get better. They got him to help stablilze their D so the young cornerstone forwards just getting their first taste of the NHL can focus on learning how to be NHL forwards while at the same time not forcing the team to have to rush any of their young D prospects like Dickinson, Thompson, Mukh and Cagnoni because the team has no other option. I like Ty but he’s nothing special and can’t seem to stay healthy. Doesn’t help the team if he can’t stay on the ice.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Worst case, assuming they don't bring in someone else this summer, I think they have enough third pairing options in Stetcher, Broberg and Brown that they could make it work by committee in season until they can find a deal.

But while I don't think it will happen, if they somehow have another terrible start all bets are off :laugh:

Stecher could probably fill in for a bit. He's not bad. Wouldn't want for it to be too long with the kind of expectations Edmonton has, there's a reason he's on his 6th NHL team.

Broberg I don't know has the IQ to play his offside. It's really quite difficult and there's also good reason not many dmen in the NHL can do it effectively.

Brown is horrendous. 7-8th D matchup face puncher.

Just seems kind of risky to turnover 2/3rds of your right side considering what they did last season. If Bouchard gets hurt for any amount of time that is total disaster.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
The best are the Oil fans on Twitter who had never heard of Ty suddenly acting as if he’s a future cornerstone piece on the blue line.
We're happy that our weakness is being addressed, from a bad situation with the offer sheets. I've never seen such shrewd managing, since Sather. We have had a lot of bad GM's in between.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Stecher could probably fill in for a bit. He's not bad. Wouldn't want for it to be too long with the kind of expectations Edmonton has, there's a reason he's on his 6th NHL team.

Broberg I don't know has the IQ to play his offside. It's really quite difficult and there's also good reason not many dmen in the NHL can do it effectively.

Just seems kind of risky to turnover 2/3rds of your right side considering what they did last season. If Bouchard gets hurt for any amount of time that is total disaster.
I think Kulak gets traded too, for another right hander. The peeps were losing, were our weak defenders.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I've heard mention of Barrie as a cheap option and I don't think it's a terrible idea. But if they need time to see how things shake out a bit, I think they can make it work as is. Obviously they need to make a decent move at some point in the season in this scenario, otherwise I agree it's sketchy as hell.

Assuming Broberg is even there. People keep making assumptions about this whole thing and it still isn't resolved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad