Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Trading a solid veteran defenseman so we can keep a question mark is bad management. We're trying to win a cup. You don't dump solid playoff warriors like Kulak if you're trying to win a cup.
I think Broberg is a top 4 minimum D, but on his natural side. He can handle the bottom pairing LHD fine. He showed up well in the biggest games you can play in, so I'm not worried about that.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think you'll be surprised how much your playoff roster misses guys like Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, maybe Holloway. Guys that thrive when the sport becomes about size, speed, playing simple hockey.

Here is your new guy vs Nate MacKinnon. Perfect playoff play. Tough and very ineffective. This guy clearly isn't as big a Ceci. Not nearly as durable either.

It's going to be appropriate when Edmonton goes into the 2025 playoffs with just one or maybe none of Skinner, Avadsson and Emberson even available to suit up.

Ok Debbie.
yikes-rachel-dratch.gif

Jeebus, no wonder you never post on HFOil.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Don't understand the Oilers infatuation with matching that Broberg deal.

As others have saidd, his play doesn't align with the dollar figure and it also complicates things much more so for next offseason for them.

Figured they would let him walk.
because you don't give away good defensive prospects, especially ones that played very good in the highest of pressure situations (SCF)
again, it's a risk but he should blossom into a top 4 defenseman and if he doesn't, he could be traded this time next year

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Are Oiler fans going to flip back to Broberg being a bonafide 2nd pair RHD and future superstar? ;)
Same as how some were saying it was crazy that Holloway signed an offer sheet and passed up an opportunity to score a ton of points with McDavid or Draisaitl where he'd earn a huge payday, now he's just whatever and they'd prefer Podkolzin at his price over him.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I think you'll be surprised how much your playoff roster misses guys like Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, maybe Holloway. Guys that thrive when the sport becomes about size, speed, playing simple hockey.

Here is your new guy vs Nate MacKinnon. Perfect playoff play. Tough and very ineffective. This guy clearly isn't as big a Ceci. Not nearly as durable either.

It's going to be appropriate when Edmonton goes into the 2025 playoffs with just one or maybe none of Skinner, Avadsson and Emberson even available to suit up.

Mcleod is definitely not the guy you want to be using as an example for tough, big, playoff hockey.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I feel for Sharks fans who are going to have to endure 10+ years of this moron the same way Miami Dolphins fans have had to endure two decades of his incompetent moron of a brother.
Why do Panthers fans hate SJ? You're apparently unaware of what he's done for SJ during his tenure. That's fine and all, but maybe hold your tongue before spouting off nonsense.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lmao what? He's rebuilt the prospect pool into the best in the league, cleared tons of cap space, and has more draft picks for the 2025 draft/assets to trade for more picks.

We're going to have to endure 10+ years of what exactly....and just because they traded a guy who was a 23 year old waiver claim last fall? Sure they took on Ceci's contract...but that's why they got a 3rd round pick.
Just imagine we have to be like *shudders*... The Panthers.

:laugh:

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm joking. I hope we can win a cup via a successful rebuild just like the Panthers.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sharks really let the oilers off easy here. Could've squeezed for a 1st or 2nd honestly

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Now that Ceci is gone I'll be real interested to see who Nurse's partner in crime is on the 2nd pairing at the start of the season. At the moment Edmonton really doesn't have a legit 2nd pairing RD.
Rasmus Andersson would look pretty good there.

Since he signed a two-year contract with the Oilers, any chance Cam Dineen can earn a spot in training camp?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I can't believe it cost anything to dump the last year of Ceci's deal. This is a guy that would have been claimed on waivers.

Now San Jose gets to retain 50% and trade Ceci for at least 2nd + 4th round picks at the deadline to a team like Dallas or Las Vegas. If Chiarot can net a 1st.. who knows how high San Jose can aim.

This was a great trade for San Jose. They give away the equivalent of future considerations for what will end up being several solid picks.

Ceci played middle pair for Edmonton last season. 20 minutes a game. And now they have to give those minutes to a dude that was on the worst team in the NHL last year and.. wouldn't even crack the roster of most teams in the NHL.
I admit I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure our retention slots are still locked up this year.

Reactions: Dakine

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The word salad coming out of Panthers fans has been a real eye opener for me on this thread.
It was the playoffs that did it for me. They've got a fantastic team with good management at the helm. That *should* make fans happy.

Sharks really let the oilers off easy here. Could've squeezed for a 1st or 2nd honestly
I sort of disagree. We were talking about him on the Sharks board recently. Definitely split opinion, but general consensus was value required was a 2nd or 3rd at worst. I think the annoying part is us adding Emberson.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Broberg is a top 4 minimum D, but on his natural side. He can handle the bottom pairing LHD fine. He showed up well in the biggest games you can play in, so I'm not worried about that.
It shouldn't have to be one or the other, and to be honest, I'm not sure if, for this year only, Broberg is the better option than Kulak.

I wonder if Kulak could be okay on the right side. We know Ekholm and Nurse are our top two LD, the only question mark is the 2nd pair RD, and it comes down to whether Broberg or Kulak is a better option than Emberson in that spot. I don't recall seeing Emberson play at all, so that might be way too much to expect from him, so if we want Broberg in the position with the best chance to succeed, 3rd pair LD is the best bet, but we need to figure out which guy is playing the off side with Nurse.

Reactions: McBooya42

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

Someone is salty over the Oilers offseason and I don't blame you. If you watched any Oilers regular season games you would know Ceci was our worst d. We were able to offload him despite what you and others have said it would take to do (1st or 2nd pick min) so it's a win.

Cool video. Thats a guy who will play a few dozen games for us this year when we have injuries and it's one play. You aren't familiar with Arvidsson because he has a solid playoff track record and is speedy and physical despite his stature. It's just silly to say him and Skinner who put up 50 goals combined last year won't be playing playoff games.

But enjoy those MacKinnon's highlight videos for when the Avs are knocked out in the first or second round again this year.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad