Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So salty! 🤣 Dude got 10 pts in his first 30 games playing for the freaking Sharks. You haven't liked anything the Oilers have done period. Just walk away from the keyboard for a bit maybe?

Look. Stan has played this first hurdle masterfully so far. Ceci had to go and everyone knew it. He's brought in some young prospects that look to be able to play in the big show, and also made room to match both players. Far cry from the bleakness of last week.
The only real question remaining, is if Stan is using this newfound cap space for the "Ceci upgrade" that we've been clamoring for for years on matching Broberg's offer sheet.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Good deal for the Oilers.

This essentially moves Broberg up on the depth chart so he's got to be able to handle top 4 minutes, correct? I hope that the play-off's wasn't a 3 week blip.

Also - don't agree with the "Broberg wants out of EDM" posts. He wanted to get paid. I don't think think that he hates EDM and LOVES STL, but rather it was really just about maximizing his earnings.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
I can't believe it cost anything to dump the last year of Ceci's deal. This is a guy that would have been claimed on waivers.

Now San Jose gets to retain 50% and trade Ceci for at least 2nd + 4th round picks at the deadline to a team like Dallas or Las Vegas. If Chiarot can net a 1st.. who knows how high San Jose can aim.

This was a great trade for San Jose. They give away the equivalent of future considerations for what will end up being several solid picks.

Ceci played middle pair for Edmonton last season. 20 minutes a game. And now they have to give those minutes to a dude that was on the worst team in the NHL last year and.. wouldn't even crack the roster of most teams in the NHL.

San Jose can't retain anything in a trade. They have used all 3 of their retention slots. They can trade Ceci at full value.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Emberson isn't anything special but could be able to be a solid bottom pair guy. Was alright in San Jose, although didn't play a ton and the team had one of the worst D cores in recent memory so take that how you will.
I will admit I don't recall if I have even seen this kid play (I don't think I have), but from experience, sometimes it is hard to see how good defensively a player is if his team isn't very good. I think most Oiler fans are hoping that looking "alright in San Jose" means he can handle a regular role on a team that doesn't have to play such tight defensive hockey to stay close in games. The scouting report says Emberson has been a good shut down defenseman in the AHL, and if he can translate that to the NHL level, he will have value to the Oilers, even if he was a recent waiver wire pickup for the Sharks. Especially if he can play good shutdown hockey while putting up .33 points per game like he did for the Sharks.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It was low risk but this is their forward group with Kane on LTIR and assuming they match on Holloway:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - C. Brown
Holloway - Ryan - Perry

In their situation, spending a 4th rounder to add a 1 M potential healthy scratch who is more of a project at this point would seem to be a bit of a waste.

Are you more concerned about a pick that essentially has a 10-15% of turning into a NHL player, or a guy essentially making the league minimum that could be buried in the AHL for no penalty??

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It shouldn't have to be one or the other, and to be honest, I'm not sure if, for this year only, Broberg is the better option than Kulak.

I wonder if Kulak could be okay on the right side. We know Ekholm and Nurse are our top two LD, the only question mark is the 2nd pair RD, and it comes down to whether Broberg or Kulak is a better option than Emberson in that spot. I don't recall seeing Emberson play at all, so that might be way too much to expect from him, so if we want Broberg in the position with the best chance to succeed, 3rd pair LD is the best bet, but we need to figure out which guy is playing the off side with Nurse.
Good points.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Grier could have gotten more, what an awful trade by the Sharks where they had all the leverage.
He basically got a veteran defenseman he can put out there in any situation to take the heat off of his young guys, and a mid round pick, for what could be a very small price. The only way this turns out to be an awful trade is if Emberson turns into a top 4 defenseman. What are the odds of that happening?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Does this mean LHD Broberg is a RHD next to Nurse?

I always thought Ceci was a bottom pairing dman. Can we agree i was correct per this trade where he had no value?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The only real question remaining, is if Stan is using this newfound cap space for the "Ceci upgrade" that we've been clamoring for for years on matching Broberg's offer sheet.
Broberg will be matched. I think they believe he will be the Ek replacement in two years.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I will admit I don't recall if I have even seen this kid play (I don't think I have), but from experience, sometimes it is hard to see how good defensively a player is if his team isn't very good. I think most Oiler fans are hoping that looking "alright in San Jose" means he can handle a regular role on a team that doesn't have to play such tight defensive hockey to stay close in games. The scouting report says Emberson has been a good shut down defenseman in the AHL, and if he can translate that to the NHL level, he will have value to the Oilers, even if he was a recent waiver wire pickup for the Sharks. Especially if he can play good shutdown hockey while putting up .33 points per game like he did for the Sharks.
Not a SJS fan, but I did watch a few of their games with Emberson and he seems like a really good two-way player with 2nd pair upside. He isn't flashy but he is smart/makes good decisions and has good overall tools. Having him on a 3rd pair for a playoff contender is a good spot and he will hold his own; Sharks paired him with Ferraro alot but it wasn't locked in due to injuries and lots of turnover on their blueline. He could be really good next to either Nurse or Kulak.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I wonder if these moves by Edmonton prior to Tuesday's deadline are meant to negotiate higher compensation for one of the offer sheets? This is allowed. Now that they have removed the pressure that St. Louis put them in they can simply match; or the threat of matching makes St. Louis step up their trade offer to exceed the mandatory values?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not a SJS fan, but I did watch a few of their games with Emberson and he seems like a really good two-way player with 2nd pair upside. He isn't flashy but he is smart/makes good decisions and has good overall tools. Having him on a 3rd pair for a playoff contender is a good spot and he will hold his own; Sharks paired him with Ferraro alot but it wasn't locked in due to injuries and lots of turnover on their blueline. He could be really good next to either Nurse or Kulak.
Having someone be "really good next to Nurse" would be a nice change, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder if these moves by Edmonton prior to Tuesday's deadline are meant to negotiate higher compensation for one of the offer sheets? This is allowed. Now that they have removed the pressure that St. Louis put them in they can simply match; or the threat of matching makes St. Louis step up their trade offer to exceed the mandatory values?
The only reason to overpay in $ as much as we did was to get them for minimal compensation. If Edmonton suddenly wants more in return, it would kill interest from our side.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Am I missing something cap wise? Oilers shed ceci 3.25 but podolzkin and Emerson both have 1 mill cap hits. So Oilers only gained 1.25 mill in cap space after these moves.

Wouldn’t that mean it would still be tough to match broberg instead of Holloway
You shouldn't compare 1 roster players cap hit to 2 "roster spots" and look at the cap difference. If you trade a player for a pick - you don't "really" free up his entire cap hit because you still have to replace his roster spot with a guy who will make at least the league minimum of ~$1M.

So if the Oilers "lose" Holloway, there won't be any cap saving because they had to replace him on the roster for about $1M which is what he was making last year.

Reactions: Hawkeye8

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yup, just two internet GMs here who could've made better trades based on nothing but their own speculation.

You're calling an NHL general mamager a muppet because he traded a recent waiver claim for a third round pick...
I mean my team has Zito so I might be harsh on idiot GMs. As a GM of the Sharks I wouldn’t be helping Edmonton out at all for only a third but hey, enjoy Grier and a never ending rebuild.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think you'll be surprised how much your playoff roster misses guys like Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, maybe Holloway. Guys that thrive when the sport becomes about size, speed, playing simple hockey.

Here is your new guy vs Nate MacKinnon. Perfect playoff play. Tough and very ineffective. This guy clearly isn't as big a Ceci. Not nearly as durable either.

It's going to be appropriate when Edmonton goes into the 2025 playoffs with just one or maybe none of Skinner, Avadsson and Emberson even available to suit up.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
A lot of the Blues' worst defensive contracts expire relatively soon, like Leddy and Krug. Krug may, in fact, be LTIRetired. Faulk is still an OK player and Perunovich is finally starting to trend upwards after numerous injuries. They're likely kicking themselves about Walman and especially Mikkola, however. Having those two as late-blooming pieces instead of handing out albatross UFA contracts would've given St. Louis some extra pieces to transition the team.
Leddy is miles better than Faulk at this point. Well worth his contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad