Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
Worst case they end up trading Broberg next offseason. And yes I like Broberg more than Kulak, Perry, Ryan, Kane, Josh Brown or any of the other but pieces the Oilers might have to dump or not resign because of this match.

I don’t think the Flames and their fans will need to worry about the playoffs for the next 4-6 years. How sad.

Worst case, they can actually buy Broberg out on July 1st 2025 for 1.52 million. Split over 2 years, that's 760k a year in dead cap. It's not a huge risk as long as they can fit the contract this year.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Worst case, they can actually buy Broberg out on July 1st 2025 for 1.52 million. Split over 2 years, that's 760k a year in dead cap. It's not a huge risk as long as they can fit the contract this year.
thought you had to keep Broberg on the roster for an entire year after an offer sheet? So until August

Reactions: 57special

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Having someone be "really good next to Nurse" would be a nice change, ha ha.
I'm sure that the deployment/usage of him (expectation) will be the biggest factor. Now that Ekholm-Bouchard is the #1 pair; Nurse/Broberg could be a good 2nd pair that sees more favorable deployment. Kulak/Emberson could be the defensive zone pair.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm sure that the deployment/usage of him (expectation) will be the biggest factor. Now that Ekholm-Bouchard is the #1 pair; Nurse/Broberg could be a good 2nd pair that sees more favorable deployment. Kulak/Emberson could be the defensive zone pair.
This would make the most sense, and what I expect we will see as the first option in training camp.

Edmonton fans cheering because they paid a 3rd to move Ceci so that they could keep Broberg for 2 years at $4.5mil.

Zoinks.
It's not what we wanted 2 weeks ago, but it's probably a better scenario than we expected 6 days ago. The only concern for me is Broberg earning that 4.5M.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
The only reason to overpay in $ as much as we did was to get them for minimal compensation. If Edmonton suddenly wants more in return, it would kill interest from our side.
I get it; just saying that the new environment creates options for Edmonton and gives them some leverage. If St. Louis really wants either/both they might have to up the acquisition cost. If they don't, that's fine too they drove Edmonton to make some moves and put pressure on their cap for the next two years which is a "small victory" but the Blues didn't benefit directly from it if that was their intent of acquiring the players.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Edmonton fans cheering because they paid a 3rd to move Ceci so that they could keep Broberg for 2 years at $4.5mil.

Zoinks.
Emberson seems useful and several Oilers fans wanted Ceci gone so the reaction isn’t surprising.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
So now they have a guy who doesn't want to be there. Well done, Edmonton Oilers!!!!
Just cuz he signed an offer sheet doesn't mean he doesn't want to be there. Means he wants to get paid. RFA's have very few tools to extract a payday at their disposal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lmao the main board is so fickle and always will be

Either decision, the Oilers would be mocked, y’all just trying to gaslight everyone hahah
To be fair, I thought the best path was to keep Holloway and let Broberg walk. TBD on that I gues but I'm more going on what everyone here was posting.
You do realize one player is declining and one is still developing. Think about that for an iota before posting such drivel.
I did consider that. I'm also considering how the team also decided to, willingly, give Nurse a $9mil contract while providing 3rd pairing quality performance. For a team that is as cap-strapped as they are, making moves to keep Broberg at $4.5mil is questionable, at best. But keep playing victim. Whoa as you.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013

Zoinks.
Considering Ceci has been likely the #2 most hated defender on this board for the last 3 years, second to only Nurse, a lot of people seem to be awfully concerned about his necessity to the team now that the Oilers got rid of him. This changing narrative thing goes both ways, this thread is filled with it.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I get it; just saying that the new environment creates options for Edmonton and gives them some leverage. If St. Louis really wants either/both they might have to up the acquisition cost. If they don't, that's fine too they drove Edmonton to make some moves and put pressure on their cap for the next two years which is a "small victory" but the Blues didn't benefit directly from it if that was their intent of acquiring the players.
Oilers have some dead cap coming off the books at the end of the year. So not terrible but defiantly tight

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
You match Holloway, take the compensation for Broberg, and use that as trade capital at the TDL.
Different teams would do different things but this is a guy you have drafted, seen through the AHL and now you let him go when he's ready to play big minutes. Not me.. I'm retaining him.

You have to have a guy ready for Ekholm's retirement and he also makes your team better right now.

Plenty of vets near the minimum that will take a shot at a cup. They can make this work. Barrie and Stetcher are not the answer as some are suggesting.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean my team has Zito so I might be harsh on idiot GMs. As a GM of the Sharks I wouldn’t be helping Edmonton out at all for only a third but hey, enjoy Grier and a never ending rebuild.
Your random disdain for a GM in another conference for making a meh trade in the middle of summer is, at the very least, disturbing.

Reactions: MisterT

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That was Petry on the Oilers when they were the worst team in hockey.

Bad teams are bad for a few reasons. Talent evaluation is usually a big one.
Jeff Petry was drafted middle second round by the Oilers. Ty was drafted by Arizona, traded to NY in essentially the same kind of cap dump deal, then thrown on waivers.

Not quite the same.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
As always, nobody wins.

St Louis doesn't get the guy they ultimately wanted more, and have now overpaid holloway, pissed off a GM, and lost leverage in future negotiations.

Edmonton has a worse cap situation now.

Both teams would have been better off working out a trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad