Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Edmonton fans cheering because they paid a 3rd to move Ceci so that they could keep Broberg for 2 years at $4.5mil.

Zoinks.
You do realize one player is declining and one is still developing. Think about that for an iota before posting such drivel.
To be fair, I thought the best path was to keep Holloway and let Broberg walk. TBD on that I gues but I'm more going on what everyone here was posting.

I did consider that. I'm also considering how the team also decided to, willingly, give Nurse a $9mil contract while providing 3rd pairing quality performance. For a team that is as cap-strapped as they are, making moves to keep Broberg at $4.5mil is questionable, at best. But keep playing victim. Whoa as you.
Doubling down on your stupidity has no impact to me given I'm not a Oilers fan but I hate idiots who live in tiny glass houses and results play.

Not like Pittsburgh has ever handed out any questionable contracts.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not really. Edmonton has plenty of similar players on the roster or in minors. Broberg is a way bigger long term need
But didn't you say the opposite before this trade?

1724081881181.png

Seems like quite the reversal...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So what is the official deadline day and time for Edmonton to decide on Holloway and Broberg?

Thanks
I believe that they can match the offer sheet any time today. The offer sheet was announced at around 7 am MT last Tuesday, so the deadline will be right around then.

But didn't you say the opposite before this trade?

View attachment 901858

Seems like quite the reversal...
When the situation changes, opinions can as well. What he said about Broberg is still true - if the Oilers match, its a gamble, as we don't know if he can actually do enough to earn that 4.5M per year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You do realize one player is declining and one is still developing. Think about that for an iota before posting such drivel.

Doubling down on your stupidity has no impact to me given I'm not a Oilers fan but I hate idiots who live in tiny glass houses and results play.

Not like Pittsburgh has ever handed out any questionable contracts.
Uh huh.

It was one person's comment. If I knew it would destabilize you to this extent, I wouldn't have said it. Back to your safe space.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
You’re paying 3x what you wanted for a guy who doesn’t want to play for you. Congrats? 😂

Without the schadenfreude, this is where I stand.

If a guy requested a trade and signed an OS not even a year later, that isn’t making a locker room of players who all want to be there and are united around a common goal, it’s Benicio DelToro as Dr. Gonzo doing adrenochrome while keeping Christina Ricci in a resort motel room to make more Barbra Streisand paintings.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When the situation changes, opinions can as well. What he said about Broberg is still true - if the Oilers match, its a gamble, as we don't know if he can actually do enough to earn that 4.5M per year.
Sure, but before this trade, Oilers fans were acting like it was crazy that any team wanted to sign Broberg to a 4.5M AAV, and that was far above his market value. Nothing about Broberg's value has since changed, but now Oilers fans are acting like it always made sense to keep Broberg over Holloway, and that 4.5M isn't all that bad.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Broberg is matched, it will be a Pyrrhic victory. Paying a guy 4.5M when he was asking for 1.8M, and who doesn't want to be there in the 1st place(though that could change with regular NHL shifts), is hardly a situation that EDM fans can celebrate.

I understand not matching Holloway, who has been disappointing, but I see more potential in him than Podkolzin. Can't see keeping both.

If nothing else, hafta congratulate the management teams of STL, VAN, SJS and EDM for providing us with entertainment in an otherwise boring August.... wait, Askarov wants out?

Reactions: WhataKnight

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah. Credible analysts who have watched him more than you and have a deep understanding of the Oilers roster and it's needs.

I’m gonna bet a million dollars I watched more Ty than Oilers beat writer Caleb Kearney, but I especially liked this line:

“They were impressed enough at his performance to sign him to a one-year $950,000 extension back on July 11th.”

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Sure, but before this trade, Oilers fans were acting like it was crazy that any team wanted to sign Broberg to a 4.5M AAV, and that was far above his market value. Nothing about Broberg's value has since changed, but now Oilers fans are acting like it always made sense to keep Broberg over Holloway, and that 4.5M isn't all that bad.
This whole thing is truly confounding.

I'm very disappointed in their fanbase. I thought they would be smarter than what they've demonstrated.

Dear Intelligent Oilers Fans,

Sorry that you have so many dumbasses rooting for your team.
The rest of HFLand will try to not let these idiots contaminate any future discussions.

Sincerely,

ChicagoBlues

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
f***in speed chess over there, love it. Just when you think they’re cornered/done for, boom, ‘nother sideslip.

Meanwhile Adams.. signed Zucker for $5 mil. Yay.
I guess? We'll see what happens with the RFA's I wouldn't say I think their off-season has been spectacular or overtly bad.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The reason he's on his 6th team after 500 games making less than a million per is because he's garden variety depth. Not a particularly well kept garden either.

If he was really worth keeping someone would have kept him by now.
The point is that he was actively sought by playoff teams for half of his stints rather than being grabbed from the garbage heap to fill an AHL spot. Yes, he's a depth player, but apparently with some value to NHL GMs. Again, the "6 teams!" headline is misleading.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wild.
SJ helping out a divisional rival. Probably looking at Ceci as a double flip for them, so I get it.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I think you'll be surprised how much your playoff roster misses guys like Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, maybe Holloway. Guys that thrive when the sport becomes about size, speed, playing simple hockey.

Here is your new guy vs Nate MacKinnon. Perfect playoff play. Tough and very ineffective. This guy clearly isn't as big a Ceci. Not nearly as durable either.

It's going to be appropriate when Edmonton goes into the 2025 playoffs with just one or maybe none of Skinner, Avadsson and Emberson even available to suit up.

Ya the Oilers will really miss mcloed and Foegele and Ceci lol. Guys who made the most terrible mistakes in the playoffs on the team..... Good observation

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think matching broberg at 4.5 is a massive mistake for us.
I think not matching Holloway would be the bigger mistake. I think he's a close to a surefire bet to be at least a 2m player this year. I'd personally match on both, and if Kane gets off LTIR before season's end, see if we can shed some cap closer to the deadline.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
4.5M is a crazy value for Broberg right now. It is far above his market value. It can make sense to keep Broberg the player, even if his contract is an overpayment.

Think of it this way. Holloway, while being a good player, isn't tracking to be a top line player, and maybe not even a 2nd line player. He's a good, fast, depth guy with a lot of potential. But there's a ton of those guys around. They are a lot easier to come by than a defenseman who could be ready to step up into a top 4 role this year. Holloway at his offer sheet amount is way less overpaid than what his market value dictates, but it's still easier to replace him than it is Broberg.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think anybody is saying that paying Broberg 4.5 is ideal but it's the reality of the situation. As an Oiler fan, I just look at him as an asset now. He doesn't want to be here, he looks really bad to his team mates that are taking discounts and threw a wrench in a cup year run, Probably will get booed by the fans here too. So I can't see him being here long term. Before Ceci got shipped, I was saying, let both players go but now that we got some young prospects back and cap space to work with, it's best to keep Broberg as he is the more valuable piece. Wait out the trading period and then immediately trade him. I am sure, he can be traded next year for something better than a 2nd.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad