Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Is this one of the weird ones where future considerations actually become something and another shoe is dropping?

It just doesn't make any sense otherwsie. Neither Wallman, not his contract are bad enoght to sacrifice a 2nd to dump

That's what I wondered. If it would be a rare time "future considerations" actually turned into a future consideration and not just something they say that's kinder than "traded for a bag of pucks."

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Is this one of the weird ones where future considerations actually become something and another shoe is dropping?

It just doesn't make any sense otherwsie. Neither Wallman, not his contract are bad enoght to sacrifice a 2nd to dump

Walman was absent from the Wings lineup down the stretch for unknown reasons. This trade may be because of something we don't know about.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
This and the Gibson trade are absolute head scratchers, unless Yzerman has some masterclass in trading and free agency planned it looks like he's lost the plot.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Everyone should, but who would flyers have interest in is the question? Wings don't have a high pick
A team acquiring TK isn’t going to be a rebuilding team but a team gearing up so probably no high draft pick although Ottawa and Buffalo should be interested. Detroit is drafting 15th overall so not exactly a low 1st. My basis for a TK trade would be 1st and high end prospect and adjust accordingly. I’d do something like Danielson and 2024 1st, or even 2025 1st. Maybe Kasper and one of those 1sts? Not sure how Wings fans would feel

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, the timing is weird. Even if Wings are looking to make a big move or two, theres ways to navigate through it. Why not atleast try the waivers first.

Speculating (always bad to speculate) out two possible options;

1) Walman has off ice issues,

that are public to other GMs around the league. Thats why he could have negative value. If not, you’d think someone would take him for free..

Yzerman might have went through a similar situation as opposite side with Mantha trade, that seemed like overpayment from Caps. I believe Vranas issues were known at the time and thats why Caps had to include so much in the trade.

Or

2) This time the future considerations are not just words on paper, but actual future actions.

Like Sharks taking on some other bad contract later on from Wings (Husso, Holl?). Waiting for signing bonuses to be paid first or something like that?

It could of course also be just that Yzerman really wanted to get rid of Walman (bad chemistry or whatever?) and didnt have taker, or they are brewing a big money trade and wanted to have the cap space in use TODAY.

But just dont get the timing. They have over 30 mills of cap space in their hands. They can hold up the Raymond and Seider contracts a bit longer to get everything sorted, whatever they are going for. There was time to go through waivers, or look for a better deal.?

Reactions: enthuuusiast

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Stanley's

Any examples of this since the 05 lockout? I feel like it was more of an actual thing back in the day

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Walman was absent from the Wings lineup down the stretch for unknown reasons. This trade may be because of something we don't know about.
If it’s not that, then this trade makes absolutely no sense.
Walman was a good top 4D and paid accurately to reflect that.

I can’t see how he was viewed as a cap dump

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean I would assume one of the considerations bare minimum is we are getting to swap our first round pick or at least protect our pick from being selected in front of us by San Jose.

Even with the strange end to the season surrounding Walman, I do think the future considerations are more than the usual throw away here.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Over the last two season only 22 dmen have more goals. On a per game basis about 15 dmen have more goals.

I’m really baffled that Detroit had to pay a 2nd to move this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad