Post-Game Talk: Shootouts hate us. Leafs lose 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The Bergeron goal was about 85% Gardiners fault. He let the Bruins take the puck behind the net and pass it in front without even a feeble attempt to stop him.

Defensemen get beaten on the boards all the time. It's usually not a problem, unless the partner decided to check out of the game 10 minutes early.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Bergeron goal was about 85% Gardiners fault. He let the Bruins take the puck behind the net and pass it in front without even a feeble attempt to stop him.

I really like Gardiner and he has some really strong output but after watching his weak defensive play this game it's quite apparant why he wasn't brought up sooner. He's actually regressed from last year.

I concur. Lupul has scored a goal in every game he's played with Kadri, I'm pretty sure he's more than fine playing with someone who cares and tries versus a one trick pony who can skate fast, has a good shot but brings nothing else to the table.

So go ahead a :laugh: all you want. I'll just :yo: on cuz I'm right and you're wrong.

Same with Kulemin, who has been on fire playing with Kadri; on the contrary, CMac has really cooled off.

Feb 24, 2004
And how did the puck get to the Bruin in front of the net? It was passed to him.
How did the passer get the puck? He stripped it from Gardiner along the boards behind the net.

The exact same thing happened to Holzer against Pitt and he was crucified in here.

What were you watching?

I love when people talk nonsense.

Here's the video. Enlighten the thread as to how he "Stripped it from Gardiner along the boards behind the net".

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Time to move Lupul to Kessel's line and JvR to Kadri IMO...it's worth it to try against a team like Florida.

If there is one player that can get JvR playing and going to the net, it's Kadri.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
upbeat post:
considering we were expecting to get burried by a hungry bruins team,
i thought we fared suprisingly well.

and reimer was great

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
not really.
like there were TIMES where yah, we could have been murderlized.
but we had some really good chances. maybe 5-4 :D

there were two clear oppertunities to "shoot" and I think it was Kostka/Bozak who passed.... totally different game.

Grabovski on the two on one with kostka, Grabo passed very early on in the 2-1 to kostka which was tipped by the defender and the chance was completely wasted. He should have taken the shot, without question. Regardless, Grabo was being too cute all game.

Edit: Grabo made a few cute plays too many. I can't say he was too cute all game, because he made a couple solid plays as well.

Feb 24, 2004
Just one more thing about Gardiner - how many defensemen on this team make the play that he made on Lupul's goal?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Same with Kulemin, who has been on fire playing with Kadri; on the contrary, CMac has really cooled off.

Exactly which is why I'm quite certain/convinced that given his druthers Lupul would prefer to play with Kadri. I've played with similar type players to Kessel in the past and it sucks. Give me the guy who plays hard and tries everytime over the floater who happens to have a good shot.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
before the two games started if someone said we would get 3 points, almost all the posters on this board would have said no chance. No one and I mean No one on this board actually thought we could get 3/4 points from these games. A lot of people hoped we could at least get a split, the extra point is gravy.

It wasnt pretty but the boys got the job done

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
before the two games started if someone said we would get 3 points, almost all the posters on this board would have said no chance. No one and I mean No one on this board actually thought we could get 3/4 points from these games. A lot of people hoped we could at least get a split, the extra point is gravy.

It wasnt pretty but the boys got the job done

Not embarrassed to admit that I was in the 0/4 boat but I'm really glad we got 3/4. Now if they don't let us down tomorrow and the rest of the week, we might have something on our hands.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Just one more thing about Gardiner - how many defensemen on this team make the play that he made on Lupul's goal?

Zero. Phaneuf probably misses the net, Carl Gunnarsson passes the wrong way, Koskta probably breaks his stick while shooting, Franson/Fraser wouldn't even skate that high.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

We all know he is magical offensively, it's his play in his own end which needs improvement.

What ever, he will learn. BTW, why the hell is he falling on every 2 on 2 play :laugh:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Not embarrassed to admit that I was in the 0/4 boat but I'm really glad we got 3/4. Now if they don't let us down tomorrow and the rest of the week, we might have something on our hands.

every game is tough now
especially the back to back when the other team is rested
Even though florida is bad we cant take them for granted.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Defensemen get beaten on the boards all the time. It's usually not a problem, unless the partner decided to check out of the game 10 minutes early.

Yeah Gards got beat, but Dion just sitting there watching Bergeron setup for his backhand was pathetic - I understand that he may not want to screen Reimer (hell, who knows, maybe Reimer told him before the game, that he'd rather see the shot clean, and have a guy walk up to the doorstep instead of be screened), but you gotta make an effort there to at least stretch out your stick.

Setting up a backhand takes a long time, and that goal should never have happened.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
careful what you wish for..carolina is a bad match up for the leafs..anyways ill be happy just making the playoffs

No Cam Ward = Good match-up for any team facing them. :nod:

Notes:
-Meh, I'll take the 3/4 points against Boston and move along. We put up a good effort and competed against one of the most physical and defensively sound teams in the league. They also have the #1 PK(~92%) and we were able to score on the PP against them.

-It's great to have the confident goal scoring Nikolai Kulemin back. He never stopped forechecking, hitting and putting in an honest effort every game but seeing him pot a few goals should raise the spirits of any fan who remembers his spectacular 10/11 campaign.

-The Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin line might just be our most balanced and most effective line. Great on the forecheck and have countless chances a period. For the sake of chemistry I wouldn't mind re-trying Kulemin on the PP and letting Grabovski log a few PP shifts with the Kessel/JVR pairing instead.

-It's crazy to say it, but I think we might just be a more physical team then the Boston Bruins this season. We were throwing our bodies around all over the ice and that's even without Leo Komarov.

-The Bruins own at the faceoffs and it's a very big part of their ability to maintain the zone and cycle the puck. I was very impressed by their sustained offensive attack throughout the game.

-We are awesome at OT. We are terrible at SO's. Even if we were good at SO's I think they should increase the OT to 10 minutes.. I think the game's would end in the extra time instead of the skills competition more often in that scenario. Furthermore, I think the 1pt for making it to the extra time is just idiotic. What difference is it if you lose in regulation or after 5 extra minutes.. A LOSS IS A LOSS! :dunno:

-My opinion on the tying goal is that both Jake Gardiner and Dion Phaneuf should share an equal amount of blame. Gardiner was outmuscled by a much larger Dougie Hamilton and gave him too much room to make a play. Phaneuf read the play all wrong and thought he was defending a 2 on 1 in front of the net. He should have obvious tied up Bergeron and the goal would have never happened.

-Don't really understand why Zdeno Chara was the 2nd Star. He was rather unimpressive tonight IMO.

-I really, really don't like Mike Kostka. Everytime he plays I try.. I really try, to appreciate his game but wow is he just bad. Doesn't bring anything offensively to the table, yet he logs PP time. Moreover, he is barely passable defensively. It is abundantly clear why it took him until 27 years of age to log his game in the NHL -- he is just not an NHL-caliber defenseman.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Exactly which is why I'm quite certain/convinced that given his druthers Lupul would prefer to play with Kadri. I've played with similar type players to Kessel in the past and it sucks. Give me the guy who plays hard and tries everytime over the floater who happens to have a good shot.

Seriously?

That floater happens to be one of the best playmaking wingers in the league.

He has his shortcomings...but not every team has Chara.

Kadri went after Chara twice...Kessel wouldn't want to be anywhere near Chara.

Some players are soft, some aren't.

You don't think Seguin is soft as butter? Spend some time and watch his game, he will never go to fight for a puck, hates getting hit and going to the corners/board battles.

Why doesn't he get flack for it? He's on a better team. Put Kessel back in Boston and he's PPG along with a +20.

Seguin almost has a higher +/- than the points he has...when was the last time a top six forward had that?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Reimer is 13/21 this season. Thats pretty damn good actually.

Not really. He's actually pretty below average. Active goalies with 20+ shootouts plus Reimer:

Lundqvist - .762
Fleury - .759
Niemi - .754
Crawford - .754
Garon - .752
Hedberg - .752
DiPietro - .730
Rinne - .725
Thomas - .721
Lehtonen - .717
Brodeur - .713
Halak - .710
Quick - .707
Hiller - .699
Price - .698
Mason - .697
Miller - .696
Theodore - .679
Luongo - .667
Rask - .667
Vokoun - .663
Anderson - .658
Nabokov - .653
Mason - .650
Reimer - .650
Smith - .644
Clemmensen - .634
Bryzgalov - .629

Edit: note that 13/21 = .619, so Reimer is actually underperforming his career average in shootouts this season.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Heading into last weekend, 5 games between last Saturday and this upcoming Saturday, I figured that games against Carolina and Florida were must wins in ROW, and if they could pick up 1 win in ROW between the two Boston games and the Ottawa game, with a OT/SO loss, they'd be in really good shape for next week's 4 day break

By no means is everything ideal right now .. Gotta find a way to find tomorrow, and MUST beat Carolina Thursday

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Gardiner and Phaneuf were both weak on that goal, but I'd say Phaneuf was WAY more at fault. It was very apparent that Hamilton was going to get to the puck first, but that Gardiner wasn't going to just let him walk out front. Phaneuf's job there is to look around, identify the most dangerous player, and there was nobody even close to being in scoring position except Bergeron. He had tonnes of time to recognize the situation that was developing, but instead of being aware of his surroundings and getting close to Bergeron, he's needlessly puck watching while defending NOBODY, and is COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS of everything else going on around him.

Again, I'm happy going to the shootout in this game, and super psyched in general about getting 3 of 4 points against Boston. But if people really want to focus on that play, I don't see how Phaneuf isn't the main player to blame. Good dmen defend well by being aware of their surroundings, Phaneuf is insanely oblivious here.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Overall, it's hard to be upset with 3 out of 4 possibly points against the Boston Bruins in two games in a row, especially considering our recent history.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I love when people talk nonsense.

Here's the video. Enlighten the thread as to how he "Stripped it from Gardiner along the boards behind the net".

Dude, he got beat and outmuscled along the boards. Once it got in front of the net, Dion Phaneuf totally misread the play and didn't tie up his man because he thought there was a man behind him on a 2 on 1.

Both players messed up defensively and should bare an equal amount of blame.

Now move along.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dude, he got beat and outmuscled along the boards. Once it got in front of the net, Dion Phaneuf totally misread the play and didn't tie up his man because he thought there was a man behind him on a 2 on 1.

Both players messed up defensively and should bare an equal amount of blame.

Now move along.

This..

Gardiner took a bad angle to the boards which allowed Hamilton out-muscling him

Phaneuf didn't pick up his man right away and hesitated, maybe because he didn't want to screen Reimer and give him the shot

Reimer had the angle right, he just didn't tighten up and let a bit of a softy in

**** happens, move along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad