Post-Game Talk: Shootouts hate us. Leafs lose 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Not trying to hate on Seguin or anything, but how in the hell was he named third star?? Even more puzzlng is that the stats people didn't mess up. He was 0 across the board except for the shootout so how did he get the look above Lucic who played a solid game after getting that monkey off his back or even Reimer who played really well tonight? Ridiculous.
3 star selections are just a sideshow to what really matters (the game) and are usually chosen by someone associated with the home team. They don't matter.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
yep, 29 minutes shutting down one of the best and most physical teams in the league......but because he was caught flat footed at the end of one long shift that means HE"S A FLOATER!!!

Do you guys watch the games? Or just check the box scores for stats? It's comical you're defending him after that effort.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Am I the only one who thinks Horton and Lucic are identical to some form of Neanderthal or chimp? My god they look like sluggish savages. :laugh:

Fearless Leaf*

I am quite happy with our effort against Bruins, no scratch that, our effort this entire year has been awesome.

3 out of 4 points against them is a very good achievement.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, we lost, so what? It was a shootout. Come post-season we won't have to worry about those stupid things.

3/4 points is way better than 0/4 which everyone thought we'd get.

We're comfortably ahead of 9th right now. It could be worse, we could've lost in regulation like Chicago just did.

Now that is painful.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The only problem I have with Phaneuf is that he coughs up the puck a lot in our end when he has a man on him.

Most defensemen you will see take a peek at the available options as they skate to the puck, and have a good idea where they're going with the puck as soon as or before they get it.

Phaneuf hesitates and gives the puck away much too often for my liking. He needs to start figuring out where the available outlets are before he gets to the puck.

Except it's not that clear cut, he usually pins the man who took the puck, but there's another opposing player who picks it up or sends it back to their D.

Other than that, I love his game and he's a great captain. The above is the major flaw to his game that has us fans cringing too often for our tastes.

I'll agree with that.

Although I think a facet of that is that the Leafs have terrible, terrible puck support down low, which is prolly why we can get it out of the zone only twice a year.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
What else would you ask him to do then? Play Kadri with Kessel? Grabo with Kessel?

Kadri with Kessel is not the best idea since it is better to have two scoring lines than just one. Grabo with Kessel has not worked in the past, so why try now?

It was barely tried in the past, so sick of hearing people bring it up like they've played a full season together. There have been many poster's here who have disproven this "fact". It's a false fact just like the Kessel-Bozak chemistry.

LeafsNation92

Jun 24, 2007
Don't blame the shootouts blame the team from blowing from the lead we didn't have to go into a shootout but we did because once again we blew the lead. I have a feeling that we are going to rue all of these blown leads at the end of the season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you guys watch the games? Or just check the box scores for stats? It's comical you're defending him after that effort.

Do you even watch the games? or do you just watch the replays of all the goals? It's comical that you're criticizing him after that effort.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Sure he is. That doesn't mean Seguin can't handle himself either.

It's funny. If Seguin was our prospect, he would be God around these parts. A kid who put up nearly 70 points in his sophomore season? The hype would be unreal.

The truth is they both have very similar flaws, but Seguin is put on such a pedestal around these parts and I just don't get it. The Bruins fan base is far more realistic FFS.

At this point in their respective careers, Kessel is definitely the better player.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I'll agree with that.

Although I think a facet of that is that the Leafs have terrible, terrible puck support down low, which is prolly why we can get it out of the zone only twice a year.
I think our two weakest forwards along the boards getting the puck out are MacArthur and Kessel.

90% of the time they get a touch, it calmly goes right to the opposing defenseman who almost has no difficulty getting control of the puck, leading to sustained pressure. I think a large part of that is that they're both anti-physical players.

I would argue that the mistakes I'm talking about are usually made after Phaneuf's mistake though. I don't think any of our defense have quite as much trouble as he does with the puck behind our net or in the corners.

It's taking us too long to get out of our zone, which is a complete team failure, rather than a single player.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Only 1 line going right now, Kadri's.

Bozak and Grabo's lines didn't produce much chances, looks like Mac's back into his slumping ways without Kadri.
In the end Kessel and Grabo are the players that are paid to get their lines going, they need to wake up and produce results.

Kadri-Kule-Lupul are pulling their weight, the other 6 guys need to do their share.

Mac wasn't very good last game playing with Kadri either. Don't know if you noticed, but Grabo was one of the main catalyst's for the Leafs 1st goal. But you can keep going on your tangents, it's not getting old at all.:shakehead

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
He literally backed up. He has no instincts at all. I had more hockey sense than him when I was 11.

He thought it was a 2 on 1 down low and then realized it wasn't. He then made an attempt to knock it away from Bergeron but it was too late.

It didn't cost us the game. We had our chances to win but didn't.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Do you even watch the games? or do you just watch the replays of all the goals? It's comical that you're criticizing him after that effort.

You're right, it's not his fault he's got cement in his boots. I love the giveaways too, well done!

I love when you quote me!

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'll agree with that.

BINGO

And along the boards when trying to get the puck out of our own zone. Improved puck support in our own zone is something the coach needs to hammer into their heads.

The addition of another top3-4 defenseman would also take some of the pressure off Phaneuf, who looks like a 1-man-Defense sometimes

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The truth is they both have very similar flaws, but Seguin is put on such a pedestal around these parts and I just don't get it. The Bruins fan base is far more realistic FFS.

At this point in their respective careers, Kessel is definitely the better player.

you're talking about JVR, right?

I agree, JVR and Seguin are pretty similar. Two 2nd overall picks with speed and a shot, who float all over the place, and are producing near identically this year.

Pulp Fiction

RIP Wade Belak
Dec 28, 2009
Grabo's Pineapple
He thought it was a 2 on 1 down low and then realized it wasn't. He then made an attempt to knock it away from Bergeron but it was too late.

It didn't cost us the game. We had our chances to win but didn't.

How can he not know that no one on Boston is near him? That's completely his fault. And he made a ******** horrible attempt at pokechecking Bergeron instead of immediately going at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad