Post-Game Talk: Shootouts hate us. Leafs lose 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'll give Bozak props for being the only player on our team that can score in a shootout, But I really don't get Carlyle's decision making for SO. Why put Kule ahead of Lupul? Everyone knows Kule only has 1 move which he had already used in the game, you think a goalie like Rask would be dumb enough to fall for the same trick twice?

These past 2 games are also a big reason why we need an upgrade on Bozak for the 1st line. I mean c'mon, 4 shots in the past 2 games combined...pathetic! Kessel hasn't been terrific, but a good center would at least be able to create some space for him. The line's problems also fall to JVR, where in the hell has he been the past 10 games, I've literally never noticed him in any of the games until someone pointed out how unnoticeable he was. People rag on Grabo, but WTF JVR, there's going invisible and then there's what JVR is doing.

I agree with most of what you posted, JVR is not driving the net, if anything it is he that is not helping Kessel right now. Kessel doesn't need a Center, he is capable of creating chances himself when he is in the mood, kind of tired reading why an elite talent needs this or that, all he needs is a winger like Lupul or JVR when his mind is motivated to create a 2nd scoring line, for some reason JVR has disappeared. When JVR is driving the net, the line is more than capable of producing. RC sees this and pasted his butt to the bench for it. Line will be fine once JVR wakes up, but Kessel could be better in Boston too, he shouldn't need a Crosby to play well there. Kessel can play well anywhere himself when he wants to.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
We should swap Grabo and Bozak for a few games, whats the worst that could happen?

carlyle

Feb 20, 2013
Not trying to hate on Seguin or anything, but how in the hell was he named third star?? Even more puzzlng is that the stats people didn't mess up. He was 0 across the board except for the shootout so how did he get the look above Lucic who played a solid game after getting that monkey off his back or even Reimer who played really well tonight? Ridiculous.

The Seguin bandwagon is pretty popular. He probably will be a good player in the NHL but people love to bandwagon.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Also, LOL at the "just 2 wins in the last 9 games, time to freak out!!!11!!1!!1!!" comments. Every team has rough stretches, and this one hasn't even been that bad. Over that stretch we have 2 regulation wins, 3 regulation losses, and 4 shootout losses. We've basically been playing .500 hockey other than sucking in the shootouts, and shootouts don't say much about a team. 8 points in 9 games isn't that bad for the worst stretch of the season, especially when 3 of those 9 games have been against the Bruins, and another 2 of those 9 against the Pens, both extremely strong teams.

We continue to have a solid shot to make the playoffs, which is HUGE for a franchise that hasn't been there in a ridiculously long time. Everything is in our hands now, of our next 15 games, 10 are against teams currently ranked 7th-11th in the east (all 1-7 points behind us, but most with 1-3 games in hand over us). If we do well in these games, the playoffs are a total lock. If we do poorly in these games, we could easily miss the playoffs. I like our chances, though.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don Cherry Parody ‏@DonCherryParody 46m
YKNOW ANOTHER WIN FOR CLAUDE JULIAN THAT SHOULDA BEEN A TIE, GIMME BACK MY RECORD!!!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Are you kidding? Seguin is Amazing, the kid is a stud. WAY better than Kessel.

Oh please, he's a floater, and every realistic Bruins fan knows it.

In my opinion, Kessel is a better playmaker and a better sniper any day of the week.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Phaneuf absolutely sucks **s. Does the guy ever move his feet?? I swear he plays harder AFTER the whistle. I can't stand watching this floating lazy bum game after game.

carlyle

Feb 20, 2013
Phaneuf absolutely sucks **s. Does the guy ever move his feet?? I swear he plays harder AFTER the whistle. I can't stand watching this floating lazy bum game after game.

Pretty sure he played almost 29 minutes tonight :p:

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Yeah, we lost, so what? It was a shootout. Come post-season we won't have to worry about those stupid things.

3/4 points is way better than 0/4 which everyone thought we'd get.

We're comfortably ahead of 9th right now. It could be worse, we could've lost in regulation like Chicago just did.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Its not Reimer

The Leafs play well as a team, and have a good coach, with a great system, and they play it they win.

However; the shootout is called the skills competition. Are the Leafs
not the least talented team in the league. Other teams either have
vets, or bonafide superstars, or superstar goaltenders. We do not.

We can win as a team, individually, we're screwed.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty sure he played almost 29 minutes tonight :p:

yep, 29 minutes shutting down one of the best and most physical teams in the league......but because he was caught flat footed at the end of one long shift that means HE"S A FLOATER!!!

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
In my opinion, Kessel is a better playmaker and a better sniper any day of the week.

Sure he is. That doesn't mean Seguin can't handle himself either.

It's funny. If Seguin was our prospect, he would be God around these parts. A kid who put up nearly 70 points in his sophomore season? The hype would be unreal.

tracker828

Aug 14, 2009
Not because we lost but, is anyone else disgusted that that is how we decide a hard fought 65 minute game? I have always hated the sideshow act that is the shootout.

Happy for 3 out of 4 points though.
I think it should be changed a win 3 points if in reg time or ot 2points for so win 1 point for making into ot

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
The only problem I have with Phaneuf is that he coughs up the puck a lot in our end when he has a man on him.

Most defensemen you will see take a peek at the available options as they skate to the puck, and have a good idea where they're going with the puck as soon as or before they get it.

Phaneuf hesitates and gives the puck away much too often for my liking. He needs to start figuring out where the available outlets are before he gets to the puck.

Except it's not that clear cut, he usually pins the man who took the puck, but there's another opposing player who picks it up or sends it back to their D.

Other than that, I love his game and he's a great captain. The above is the major flaw to his game that has us fans cringing too often for our tastes. The only other criticism I would have is that occasionally he loses his man in front of the net, but that is far less often, yet still costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad