GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I really don't want to lose Holmberg and/or Robertson to keep Jarnkrok and Kampf. I don't know if that is a stupid feeling if both can't clearly win jobs over the latter two, but it's just how I feel.
If you can move Jarnkrok and Kampf without retention and at a reasonable asset cost, then you do that. It opens up a lot of better options.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I think people are jumping on the Grebyenkin hype a bit too much

His hands, or even his offensive toolset is very good. The fight and tenacity was just a cherry on top, but his defensive game is a bit underdeveloped. I see a top 6 winger who has potential for 60 points there, but he’s not gonna get there playing 4th line with Reaves and kampf or whatever

Send him down to the ahl, stick him next to minten who is a smart and good defensive player, give him first powerplay and let him adapt to the NA ice and the system. If he dominates, call him up and let’s see what he has to offer, but I’d initially start him in the ahl.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Obviously not the result you want to see from basically our entire starting lineup against a very sparse Sens team. But I honestly think it's going to get worse before it gets better. I think Chief alluded to it in his post game presser about the team being too cute at times and not playing direct. It's a philosophy that has been enabled for years under Sheldon Keefe. Far too many soft skill plays that are not consistently executed at a high level.

I really think this training camp we will start to see the boys shift their mindsets. I am cheering for Mitch, but I genuinely am not too sure if north/south compliments his game best. He's got all the skill in the world to adjust, but it really will be up to him to make that change.

Time will tell. Lots of work to be done for sure

I’m surprised that anyone is buying the North-south or east-west jargon. It’s obvious that Berube wants more shots on goal, more traffic in front and more rebound chances. The leafs have been guilty of overpassing the puck for years which is partly why they often fail to score in the playoffs.

I think people are jumping on the Grebyenkin hype a bit too much

His hands, or even his offensive toolset is very good. The fight and tenacity was just a cherry on top, but his defensive game is a bit underdeveloped. I see a top 6 winger who has potential for 60 points there, but he’s not gonna get there playing 4th line with Reaves and kampf or whatever

Send him down to the ahl, stick him next to minten who is a smart and good defensive player, give him first powerplay and let him adapt to the NA ice and the system. If he dominates, call him up and let’s see what he has to offer, but I’d initially start him in the ahl.
The issue with Grebenkin is his skating. Still needs some work to keep up with the pace of the NHL. Other than that he’s a very good player with the looks of a future power forward.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Because we already had two high-end centers, and Nylander is better as a winger. Past versions of Willy, even more so.
McDavid, Draisaitl & Henrique vs Matthews, Tavares & Holmberg or Domi as your top 3 C's. Leafs need a 2nd line C a star like a Nylander or Marner, Tavares then slots in as maybe the best 3C in the league. Matthews & Nylander as your top 2 C's is as close as your going to get vs McDavid & Draisaitl.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McDavid, Draisaitl & Henrique vs Matthews, Tavares & Holmberg or Domi as your top 3 C's. Leafs need a 2nd line C a star like a Nylander or Marner, Tavares then slots in as maybe the best 3C in the league. Matthews & Nylander as your top 2 C's is as close as your going to get vs McDavid & Draisaitl.

That appears to be Leafs plan #1C Matthews, #2C Nylander & #3C Tavares.

Strength down the middle .

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As of the first two games - here's my lineup.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Pacioretty - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Domi - Robertson
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Reaves

Traded - Kampf (to make room for patches)
LTIR - Dewar
Waived - Steeves, Abruzzese,
Juniors - Cowan
AHL - No waivers - Grebenkin, Tverberg, Hirvonen, Quillian, Voit, Kressler

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Liljegren
Timmins

LTIR- Hakanpaa
Waivers- Mattinen, Myers, Mermis, Rifai
AHL no waivers - Niemela, Kokkonen, Villeneuve, Webber,

Woll
Stolarz
Murray

AHL - Hildeby, Akhtyamov, Peksa

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’d keep throwing Cowan out there but he hasn’t shown enough to force himself into the lineup so far. And reports in camp say how he keeps getting overpowered in drills. I know the popular refrain is “he has nothing left to learn in junior” but I don’t know if it’s all that true. Yeah he won all the awards but that can’t be the only measure for development.

Reactions: stickty111

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’d keep throwing Cowan out there but he hasn’t shown enough to force himself into the lineup so far. And reports in camp say how he keeps getting overpowered in drills. I know the popular refrain is “he has nothing left to learn in junior” but I don’t know if it’s all that true. Yeah he won all the awards but that can’t be the only measure for development.

This is what camp is for. Last year he was exuberant and super charged, had that chemistry with Minten and fared very well in the kind of B-squad games like tonight. If he had come in with even more momentum, pushed for a job by looking dominant in this competition, yeah you give him an audition. However...

This year, maybe he's just over his skis a little bit, wound up too tight about making the NHL and the pressure got to him. He's going back to the OHL and it won't be a bad thing.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm more interested in putting players in their best situations to succeed than perfectly matching Edmonton's center depth. The fact that we should have gotten a 3C and didn't is a different issue entirely.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some observations from last night

Holmberg was so-so in the 1st period but I thought he came on a lot stronger in periods 2 and 3

Robertson wasn't noticeable, wasn't bad but not noticeable.

I liked Rifai-Myers pairing, big and mobile.

Stolarz/Hildeby were very good, covered up some bad play in front of them.

Timmins was fairly decent too - an okay #6

Cowan, like Robertson, he wasn't bad but not noticeable, he's going to need to look outstanding the rest of the way

Grebyonkin got caught puck chasing on the 1st goal against, I think he has *all* the tools to be a middle 6 player. He made a great play to Quillan for a clear shot but they didn't convert. He was physical and speed was evident. I think Grebyonkin is going to go to the AHL, get minutes, learn North American defensive coverage (cover the points) and just where to go to be open for shots etc.

Quillan motor was strong, I think there is a 4C there

Benoit didn't have a good game but his pre-season last year wasn't good either.

McMann and Knies were good but I thought they both, like Cowan and Grebyonkin could not line drive or dominate on their own, this line up definitely suffered with lack of quality centres.

I don't think anyone else was all that notable.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Some observations from last night

Holmberg was so-so in the 1st period but I thought he came on a lot stronger in periods 2 and 3

Robertson wasn't noticeable, wasn't bad but not noticeable.

I liked Rifai-Myers pairing, big and mobile.

Stolarz/Hildeby were very good, covered up some bad play in front of them.

Timmins was fairly decent too - an okay #6

Cowan, like Robertson, he wasn't bad but not noticeable, he's going to need to look outstanding the rest of the way

Grebyonkin got caught puck chasing on the 1st goal against, I think he has *all* the tools to be a middle 6 player. He made a great play to Quillan for a clear shot but they didn't convert. He was physical and speed was evident. I think Grebyonkin is going to go to the AHL, get minutes, learn North American defensive coverage (cover the points) and just where to go to be open for shots etc.

Quillan motor was strong, I think there is a 4C there

Benoit didn't have a good game but his pre-season last year wasn't good either.

McMann and Knies were good but I thought they both, like Cowan and Grebyonkin could not line drive or dominate on their own, this line up definitely suffered with lack of quality centres.

I don't think anyone else was all that notable.
Not sure how you think he wasn't noticeable? I noticed he was carrying the puck a lot more and making plays. He also had several good forechecks, which was even brought up by the broadcast.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
It seems trending towards…
Knies AM MM
Domi. Willie. Jarnkrok
Patches. JT. McMann
Holmberg. Kampf. Reaves
Robertson

I’m thinking they will want Lorenz on 4th line which may mean a Lafferty style move like last year to clear out a spot. Not sure who that would be.

Reactions: ToneDog

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Still a lot of camp left, but Cowan and Grebenkin are both tracking to not make the team IMO based on neither of them consistently standing out positively so far. Last preseason Cowan stood out in every preseason game he played.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Still a lot of camp left, but Cowan and Grebenkin are both tracking to not make the team IMO based on neither of them consistently standing out positively so far. Last preseason Cowan stood out in every preseason game he played.

There really shouldn't be any reason why they should be up. Let them marinate a bit in the minors. Baring of course injury

Especially consideirng Robertsson should get a long look, wouldn't mind giving Steeves some looks as well. Not to mention Patch is in the mix.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I'm taking Grebs over Robertson if I'm Berube. Not that it will come down to that, but if it does, no way I take Robertson.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Toronto reports reading this forum asking the coach if we should panic. The same folks who spent 3 months saying nothing matters but playoffs are about to lose all hope due to pre-season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad