GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why don't you do that and get back to me on it?

The AHL is a developmental league with limits on how many players with more than 260 NHL, AHL and European professional games experience can play at once.

There is no upper age limit, and most teams carry a small core of older players, but most of the playing time goes to players about 26 years old or younger. That's the purpose of the league.

Is this true? I have never heard that ever. Once you reach a certain number of NHL games you get put in a pot and only X number can play?

That’s kind of crazy really

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Hockey question. What exactly do these pros do to play such terrible hockey in preason. Do they slow it down ? Or stop skating and pass too early...its like they all suck.
The leafs “pro’s “ just pretend it’s the playoffs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Aren’t those games supposed to be important to the prospects hoping to secure a spot?

They are important for development and trying to secure a spot, but winning is unimportant.

I am sure they are more focused on how they play positionally and decision making wise instead of the outcome.

Robertson for example put up zero points but was hard on the puck, I thought he made better decisions that weren't a rushed shot, and looked positionally more comfortable than in the past.

That's far more important to predicting team success than the points someone put up in these single games, Pacioretty is not scoring 164 goals.

Reactions: Ciao

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They are important for development and trying to secure a spot, but winning is unimportant.

I am sure they are more focused on how they play positionally and decision making wise instead of the outcome.

Robertson for example put up zero points but was hard on the puck, I thought he made better decisions that weren't a rushed shot, and looked positionally more comfortable than in the past.

That's far more important to predicting team success than the points someone put up in these single games, Pacioretty is not scoring 164 goals.
So your previous statement was inaccurate

• Haha
Reactions: Apex Predator

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
After two games, don't think there's going to be any surprise players making the team this year. Grebenkin has shown flashes of what he can be in the NHL, he needs to polish his defensive side of his game in the AHL for the year.

Cowan hasn't been bad by any means, hustles and plays hard on the wall etc, but I just think when it comes down to the final roster he's not beating anyone out (although, instead of sending him directly to JR, I'd keep him up with the team for awhile, let him play his 8 games, practice with the team etc until it's world JRs time).

A.Nylander is what he is, tweener AHL/NHLER that isn't good enough to be ahead of the likes of Robertson,Patoreitty, Holmberg etc.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So your previous statement was inaccurate

No, the game as a whole is unimportant as I said.

How well a prospect produces is also unimportant.

So exactly what I said about the games being unimportant is true.

You chimed in about prospects and I agreed, I just pointed out it likely has very little to do with how many goals a prospect gets and they are likely isolating instances to see if they can win puck battles, have defensive awareness, make the right decisions, etc.

Reactions: Racer88

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Is this true? I have never heard that ever. Once you reach a certain number of NHL games you get put in a pot and only X number can play?

That’s kind of crazy really
No roster limits. AHL teams can carry as many players as they like. Some are on the way up. Some are rehabbing. Some are on the way down, and a small number -- like Kyle Clifford, Joe Blindisi and Logan Shaw on the Marlies -- are grizzled vets there to give leadership on and off the ice. Most teams choose those guys very carefully.

The limit is on playing time. In every game, an AHL team can't play more than five players with more than 260 games of pro experience. "Pro" means NHL, AHL, KHL and most upper level European leagues.

This is why players do age-out of the AHL, and many of the better ones go to Europe to finish their professional careers.

Not only that, but AHL pay is generally low -- there are exceptions -- and if you're not on the way up or a well-paid tenured vet it really isn't where you want to be.

The explicit mandate of the AHL is a developmental league.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I feel bad for Mattinen. He is obviously not an NHL player and most likely never will be...but I think he's probably better than this game. This was his first preseason game of any pro North American league and I think that should be taken into consideration.
Having said that, that mistake with a few minutes left in the game on the PP was one of the most boneheaded any dman can make. A lackadaisacal backpass to the middle of the ice, along the ice, in your own zone? I tell my 10 yr old nephew not to do that EVER. It shows a lack of hockey IQ.

Really disappointed in Cowan these past two games. Grebenkin looked like the inexperienced forward he is. Best players were McMann, Kampf, and the goalies. Once again, the team looked much much slower than Ottawa.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I feel bad for Mattinen. He is obviously not an NHL player and most likely never will be...but I think he's probably better than this game. This was his first preseason game of any pro North American league and I think that should be taken into consideration.

I feel bad for Hunter, he is his last hope of looking even remotely competent.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No roster limits. AHL teams can carry as many players as they like. Some are on the way up. Some are rehabbing. Some are on the way down, and a small number -- like Kyle Clifford, Joe Blindisi and Logan Shaw on the Marlies -- are grizzled vets there to give leadership on and off the ice. Most teams choose those guys very carefully.

The limit is on playing time. In every game, an AHL team can't play more than five players with more than 260 games of pro experience. "Pro" means NHL, AHL, KHL and most upper level European leagues.

This is why players do age-out of the AHL, and many of the better ones go to Europe to finish their professional careers.

Not only that, but AHL pay is generally low -- there are exceptions -- and if you're not on the way up or a well-paid tenured vet it really isn't where you want to be.

The explicit mandate of the AHL is a developmental league.

Interesting. I honestly had no idea. That’s fascinating.

Thanks!

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Cowan hasn’t been bad and hasn’t stand out to this stage. Remember also he’s played a year and a half in the OHL. He earned more the 5 mins a game in the second half of his 16 year old year. Plenty of kids have been drafted rolled into their first NHL camp and caught everyone’s attention. But struggled or didn’t produce the same in the second one. At this stage give him a couple more games maybe play he where you’d expect if he made the team and if doesn’t produce then it’s ok if he goes back down. Or keep him up till late October give him a few NHL games and see what happens.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah, save for that #16 guy and the #1 goalie... perhaps even Liljegren

Truth be told, I'm not even his biggest fan either, but the way you chapped-ass KD boys go after him is pathetic at this point.

Mind translating to English?

I'll say that Dubas' drafting strategy was terrible if it turns out to be, but he's already surpassed whatever Hunter and Lou tried to do.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Mattinen will be fine.

He's had success in Europe and might go back there if the NHL thing doesn't work out.

In the meantime, his one-year NHL contract pays him $250,000 in the AHL -- which is not too bad for a minor league salary -- and as a DEL defenceman of the year he has a good future in hockey in Europe.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m not sure I saw any NHL players on that roster last night except for the goalies.
It was a total disappointment. For guys fighting for a job it was meh

Did you not watch?

Holmberg, Robertson, McMann, and Knies were all good and are all NHLers.

Steeves and Rifai were also good and might be first call ups.

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Who else had P. Myers on their number one Leaf list going into last night's game..?

For a player I havent seen much of, he was the only Leaf I had as consistently making the right play all over the ice last night. Great showing for him!

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Too old for the AHL? Jesus, some people say the dumbest crap here. Check the average of teams in the AHL then think again.

Ffs, do HFboards members even listen to things before commenting on them? You clearly didn't.

She did not say it was time to panic, she said that in this market many people will say that after two losses. She then agreed with him that it is et peeve of mine when

Too old for the AHL? Jesus, some people say the dumbest crap here. Check the average of teams in the AHL then think again.

Ffs, do HFboards members even listen to things before commenting on them? You clearly didn't.

She did not say it was time to panic, she said that in this market many people will say that after two losses. She then agreed with him that it is just the preseason.
I did hear that and that's what I'm objecting to, I may not have been clear on that.

I resent any reporter trying to characterize "this market" and what we are feeling/fearing/ and for players/coaches or management to respond to that. There are far too many members in Leaf Nation to have a consolidating opinion on anything but the most obvious. No one is in panic mode, sure it's Leaf Nation and there's bound to be an idiot or 2 who are "panicked" but overall we really have perspective on pre-season. Questions like this are accumulative and have caused our organization to be too reactionary, and I effen hate it. We deserve better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad