Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yea watching the Boston series made me feel the same way. And then what he said after about teams always being ready to play the Leafs...... Really wasn't excited about the idea of him coming here at all. They could have won that series with some minor tweaking, but he didn't seem to know how or want to do anything different.

BUT, he's here, he's a Devil, I'm going to be hoping and rooting for him all the same.

I'll be honest, that quote was one that seemed like a guy who knew he was getting axed. I've heard him have some rough post game quotes where he's asked what went wrong at the start of games and he appears flabbergasted. However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he can bring needed structure and cater to the strengths of our roster, I feel things will be fine.
If these trends bubble to the surface for our group, then I'll start to be concerned.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I wasn't really talking about losing 1st round of the playoffs and being worried about it. I hope that's something specific to the leafs.

I am excited to see this team with a whole new voice and get some structure to them.

I'm talking more about the tactical side of it and not being able to really take in what's happening on the ice and instruct your guys to counter in certain ways. Whether that's pre season or game seven of the cup finals.
yeah i get that but end of the day they still finished extremely high in a very very tough division so whatever lack of adjustments he was doing just bring that over here get these guys playing that level again and whatever mistakes hes made hopefully he realizes it

going from the powder keg that is leaf nation to here? it will be a lot less pressure on him

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah. Being handed 3 generational talents on ELCs will do that. Yet he kept failing.

Good luck then. Lol

So far, you’re the only Leaf fan to come in with a strictly negative take as opposed to offering strengths and weaknesses, so we’ll gladly take your opinion with the largest rock of salt that I can find.

Thanks for stopping by.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
there is one remaining question:

do we need to keep @Cheddabombs around?

once ruff was extended the management let brunette go to take the nashville job. i wonder if coach Cheddabombs would be a distraction staying on our board. he might be better served to coach in the KHL. isn't there an opening with the Siberia Gulags?

can anyone confirm?
There are tonns of free rooms in Siberia Gulags. We are always welcome. Its not like Texas Сoncentrationiers whose line-up is always packed to capacity *blink

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah. Being handed 3 generational talents on ELCs will do that. Yet he kept failing.

Good luck then. Lol

The last two pages of your posts are about Sheldon Keefe, so I don’t anticipate you being able to participate in an objective conversation.

You should also probably tighten up your definition of “generational talent” lol. Nylander and Marner is nowhere near generational.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
there is one remaining question:

do we need to keep @Cheddabombs around?

once ruff was extended the management let brunette go to take the nashville job. i wonder if coach Cheddabombs would be a distraction staying on our board. he might be better served to coach in the KHL. isn't there an opening with the Siberia Gulags?

can anyone confirm?

speaking of brunette i rather have sheldon

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Lindy switched up the lines a lot but never changed his approach mid game after running into a brick wall at center ice. It’s fine to have a game plan and stick to it but it has to be changed if it isn’t working.

I’ll be happy if he can improve our 200 foot game for sure but from what I’ve been reading about how he operates, it goes against most of what we were complaining about with this team.

There are 3 issues with the team (or 3 big ones anyways).

1. goaltending
2. no structure
3. no adjusting

#1 isn't really on the HC

Getting someone who excels at bringing structure and making adjustments would be a top tier coach, and none were available. It is what it is.

What I'm curious about though is if Keefe isn't good at adjusting, does he at least bring a plan in place pre-game. That game against the Kings is the most embarrassing coaching I've seen since Hynes. Ruff didn't have a clue how to break the trap.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

giphy.gif

Don't start with Big Bang Theory shit, please. :laugh:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yea watching the Boston series made me feel the same way. And then what he said after about teams always being ready to play the Leafs...... Really wasn't excited about the idea of him coming here at all. They could have won that series with some minor tweaking, but he didn't seem to know how or want to do anything different.

BUT, he's here, he's a Devil, I'm going to be hoping and rooting for him all the same.
They could’ve won that series if they weren’t decimated by injury or if the goalie they were up against wasn’t insane.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
There are 3 issues with the team (or 3 big ones anyways).

1. goaltending
2. no structure
3. no adjusting

#1 isn't really on the HC

Getting someone who excels at bringing structure and making adjustments would be a top tier coach, and none were available. It is what it is.

What I'm curious about though is if Keefe isn't good at adjusting, does he at least bring a plan in place pre-game. That game against the Kings is the most embarrassing coaching I've seen since Hynes. Ruff didn't have a clue how to break the trap.
The Leafs fans are saying that he does come in with game plan and sticks with it no matter what.

I like what I’m hearing about structure and the 200 foot game but I’m referring to the country club, caters to the stars and accountability stuff.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
They could’ve won that series if they weren’t decimated by injury or if the goalie they were up against wasn’t insane.
This hand is getting over played. Florida had no issue with it. Yea they had set backs and a difficult task. That's sports. There was a number of things that could have changed to get them the win and a number of things that could have gotten them swept.

They could have won the series if anyone on the team besides Bertuzzi got within stick lengths of the net for more than a fly by. They could have won if they didn't put out the 3rd line after taking the lead and keeping the momentum. They could have won if they saw the way Boston was playing defense and tried different ways to counter it. The list goes on.

Picking any one thing and saying "that's the thing" is the wrong way to look at it just as much as when a concern is brought up about our team someone responds with "not the issue."

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I feel "adjustments" is just a buzz word fans use when talking about coaches.

Heck if anything, given how often we gave up the first goal but were then able to fight back this season it could be said Ruff was good at making adjustments. I don't actually believe that to be true.

I kind of feel "system" is another one fans overuse, but in the case of Ruff, because he ran one that no one else did, and was prone to breakdowns, I think it was accurate. For most other coaches it's all pretty similar.

End of the day I think it's about putting a culture in place and having your guys ready to play. Then it's on the players.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We were 4 points out of WC2 for a long time. Not adjusting did not do us in. It was vitek. 😛
You really think the "long time" was due to something we were doing right? Are you ignoring the fact the everyone ahead of us seemed to be all fighting to get out of the last couple playoff spots? What's the opposite of crabs in a bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad